Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Westboro to protest Robin Williams funeral

Paranoid Android

San Francisco:  Members of the controversial Kansas-based Westboro Baptist Church are planning an ill-advised protest at actor Robin Williams' funeral over his portrayal of a gay man in The Birdcage.

The Good Will Hunting star passed away on Monday and while details of his funeral have not been made public, members of the church have already announced plans to picket the memorial.

Further reading: http://m.smh.com.au/entertainment/westboro-baptist-church-plans-protest-at-robin-williams-funeral-20140816-104ybx.html?utm_source=social&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=nc&eid=socialn%3Afac-13omn1676-edtrl-other%3Annn-17%2F02%2F2014-edtrs_socialshare-all-nnn-nnn-vars-o

Yep, they're still at it. Even after Phelps Sr is gone :wacko:

If I could I would personally just walk back and forh knocking out whoever got in my way man or woman. Their all scum

• Like 8

Well, look at his list of sins: Encouraging cross-dressing (Mrs Doubtfire); encouraging people to believe in extraterrestrial life (Mork & Mindy); encouraging young people to read, er, Dead poets rather than the Bible; encouraging people to believe in anthropomorphic penguins; ... :no:

• Like 3

I know that I am squandering my life....but those people....wow.....it takes a lot of effort to waste one's life that effectively.

• Like 5

And it occurred to me as I was reading other comments around the Web, didn't Westboro call for people to be respectful and not picket Phelps Sr's funeral? I suppose it would be brushed aside if we reminded them of that?

• Like 4

Their all scumbag pieces of crap and as harsh as it is they deserve nothing but the worst death I myself can imagne

Which trust me is far worse than you can possibly imagine death to every westboro member

• Like 5

And it occurred to me as I was reading other comments around the Web, didn't Westboro call for people to be respectful and not picket Phelps Sr's funeral? I suppose it would be brushed aside if we reminded them of that?

The mantra of those with no worthwhile platform to stand upon....do as I say not as I do.

• Like 2

Mrs Doubtfire is one of my favorite movies ever! They're such aholes! I hope they're arrested if they dare try it.

• Like 2

Mrs Doubtfire is one of my favorite movies ever! They're such aholes! I hope they're arrested if they dare try it.

I would recommend the funeral to be held in Australia they would be arrested here if they tried it.

• Like 3

Bunch of hypocritical douche bags.If they really do believe in what the bible teaches,then they would know that "Vengeance is mine,sayeth the lord"Is very much a reality.Judge not lest ye be judged.I could go on,about he that he without sin casting the first stone,etc..i guess they just forgot to look at what robin was all about:

Making people laugh,being a good person who cared about others to the point that he donated his time and money in helping people. He didn't just play the part of patch Adams in a movie...he really did visit with sick kids..more than a few times.He always was a giver.Nothing i can say bad about the guy.And this is who they want to harass in death?Well,they are misguided uninformed fools.His family deserves to be treated with respect..not harassed at his funeral.

• Like 3

A great deal of misery in this world is driven by the hypocritical and mean spirited. Westboro is an excellent example of this. I, too, would love to see them arrested, fined, imprisoned.

• Like 6

A great deal of misery in this world is driven by the hypocritical and mean spirited. Westboro is an excellent example of this. I, too, would love to see them arrested, fined, imprisoned.

While I do wholeheartedly agree....I think a better fate for those....folks....would be to be just ignored and forgotten.

Because, in the end, that is a hell that they could not suffer.

Like a petulant 2 year old screaming at any injustice.....let em vent their rage into a void of indifference and inattention.

• Like 3

What the hell is wrong with these people? They are sick in the head..

• Like 3

.....I think a better fate for those....folks....would be to be just ignored and forgotten.

Your quite right,,these people seem to thrive on publicity

fullywired

• Like 2

This may be the last straw for them. I expect this will cause some serious rebuttals. I hope folks are smart enough to block them and not get physical, they are leeches of the lowest possible moral character and no one should let themselves be taken in by their pathetic games.

• Like 2

No PA, unfortunately they didn't. Apparently he did not get a funeral as it is not a part of their belief. He was buried unceremoniously, or cremated, can't remember which. No doubt though they held private vigils of some description and were smart enough not to let it be known when and where those were occurring.

Sounds more like a desperate cry for attention

• Like 2

You got to be kidding me! :innocent: :no:

This may be the last straw for them, I think. Although, I give credit to various others, in the past, who countered them in their protest in calm and rational resistance. Shows how better people who have been angered by them, are actually more humane than they are. I'm surprised someone has actually not retaliated and tried to hurt them. Considering how loved Williams was and still is, I think someone is actually going to do some damage.

I wish the headline was about the group that is doing a fund raiser in answer to WBC's protest for St Jude's Children s hospital. Maybe a better headline would be "Planting Peace doing fund raiser to counter WBC's protest of William's Funeral."

However, organisers at the global non-profit group Planting Peace have launched a fund-raiser to counter the church's plans. A message from co-founder Aaron Jackson reads: "Robin Williams played many different roles in so many people's lives, and giving back to others was at the top of that list.

"His appeal crossed generational boundaries. I was personally impacted when I heard of his passing. This is a small gesture to honour his legacy and the difference he made to so many," he said.

Mr Jackson said that when the WBC announced they were protesting at the star's funeral, "we felt like launching a fund-raiser for a charity Robin loved would be the perfect way to honour him and counteract the message of hate and intolerance that the WBC continues to convey."The proceeds from the fund-raiser will benefit St Jude Children's Hospital, which Williams supported during his life.

I'll see if I can find an address when to send contributions . There is a lot of little kids with cancer they help who really need it.

Edited by GreenmansGod
  • Like 3

They won't do it. They say they're going to picket everything... then they don't. They do it to keep themselves in the news.

• Like 2

No PA, unfortunately they didn't. Apparently he did not get a funeral as it is not a part of their belief. He was buried unceremoniously, or cremated, can't remember which. No doubt though they held private vigils of some description and were smart enough not to let it be known when and where those were occurring.

Didn't they claim they "excommunicated" Fred from the church before he died? LOL.

These people aren't what they want you to believe they are. Of that I'm convinced. They're making fools of people who believe their games. The WBC wants you to believe they're stupid holy roller hicks... but I can assure you they aren't. No one who goes to college for 8 years to become an attorney and passes the Bar is stupid. That family is a sea of attorneys. Civil Rights Attorneys at that.

• Like 2

Sounds more like a desperate cry for attention

This is exactly it. Its about keeping their nonsense in the media to get publicity, good or bad it doesn't matter to them.