Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Plankton discovered outside space station

UM-Bot

Astronauts have been left perplexed after traces of sea plankton were found on the station's exterior.

The out-of-place organisms, which were discovered clinging to the station's external windows and walls, seemed to have somehow found their way there from the oceans back on Earth.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...e-space-station

• Like 1

Soon the dolphins will leave as well.

The ones at Sea World will say "Thanks for the fish."

• Like 1

Send some Plankton to Mars.Maybe by the time we happen to survive a couple more wars future Humans will have a new Earth?

• Like 1

I'm sorry but he's not going to find the secret formula for Krabby Patties in space.

• Like 4

I'm sorry but he's not going to find the secret formula for Krabby Patties in space.

LYLqgs2.png

• Like 2

This is very interesting, to survive in space as an non-singular cell species makes it interesting. What if there was a species of aliens that can survive in the void without pressurized suits? They could colonize any planet out there without much trouble and on top of that, they would be one hell of a threat if you think about it. Instead of going through complex process of changing planet, they could just wipe out the ozone and proceed to colonize the planet.

• Like 1

Plankton might prove to be an ideal food source for future space missions.

• Like 1

That is exciting news. Needs more investigation.

• Like 1

Soon the dolphins will leave as well.

Not me... :w00t:

Then again, with our current world situations, I might reconsider.

• Like 1

How did they get there? I've had several "smart guy" UM members tell me flat out, 100%, that organisms cannot get from the surface to orbit without riding on a man made craft. According to these unnamed UM Members, only molecular oxygen and smaller molecules can get out of the atmosphere and into low orbit.

• Like 1

How did they get there? I've had several "smart guy" UM members tell me flat out, 100%, that organisms cannot get from the surface to orbit without riding on a man made craft. According to these unnamed UM Members, only molecular oxygen and smaller molecules can get out of the atmosphere and into low orbit.

The interesting question is not how it go there (that could be in many ways including manned and unmanned spacecraft, and not necessarily any that flew to the space station. The only interesting questions are:

How long is it there?

How did it survive?

The interesting question is not how it go there

I beg to differ, I would argue that this is an extraordinarily interesting question. If the means by which it reached orbit are natural, rather than accidentally by man-made means, then the implications for the Panspermia hypothesis are massive.

• Like 5

I beg to differ, I would argue that this is an extraordinarily interesting question. If the means by which it reached orbit are natural, rather than accidentally by man-made means, then the implications for the Panspermia hypothesis are massive.

If we can answer the other two questions we will get nearer to it. The how is always easier to find if you know the why.

If we can answer the other two questions we will get nearer to it.

If the plankton was brought there accidentally by man then the other two questions are of academic interest only. ONLY if this is a natural occurrence do the other two questions become truly interesting. This is why you don't build the foundations AFTER you have tried building the tower.

The interesting question is not how it go there (that could be in many ways including manned and unmanned spacecraft, and not necessarily any that flew to the space station. The only interesting questions are:

How long is it there?

How did it survive?

I think how it got there is a very interesting question. If it we find it got there by natural causes that is would be an amazing discovery. At least one person mentioned in the article believes it to be a natural process...

“This is not typical for Baikonur. It means that there are some uplifting air currents which reach the station and settle on its surface,” Solovyev said.

What I also want to know is, other than how it really got there, is if the plankton are reproducing. According to the article they are alive, which in itself is incredible. Who knew plankton was that hardy! (I'm sure someone did, but I had no idea)

Edited by Razer

The fact they remained perplex it simply means they obviously don't know a bunch else!

Here is also the answer for the manna that God had thrown out of apace to his beloved jewish crowd while they were escaping Egypt and not having food for many months. This fact is so well documented in numerous writings including Babylonians that is no longer questioned!

Edited by qxcontinuum

The fact they remained perplex it simply means they obviously don't know a bunch else!

Here is also the answer for the manna that God had thrown out of apace to his beloved jewish crowd while they were escaping Egypt and not having food for many months. This fact is so well documented in numerous writings including Babylonians that is no longer questioned!

Oh yes, because one article uses the word "perplexed" clearly means nobody else has any idea what they're doing, and you and your fringe crappola are the only valid answers. Of course!

Excuse me, I have to go turn lead into gold...

• Like 1

This is the science section not the Spirituality, Religion and Beliefs section.

Your post is many things but it certainly is NOT science.

Lets keep on topic shall we.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
  • Like 2

This is the science section not the Spirituality, Religion and Beliefs section.

Your post is many things but it certainly is NOT science.

Lets keep on topic shall we.

Actually I am on the subject ,because some other scientists (smarter) obviously than the Astronauts were coming to the conclusions that exact the very same plankton and sea weed was taken by storms, lifted up in atmosphere (same process as panspermia ) and thrown back on earth in desert serving as food ..coincidence or not....we are on the subject

Edited by qxcontinuum

Oh yes, because one article uses the word "perplexed" clearly means nobody else has any idea what they're doing, and you and your fringe crappola are the only valid answers. Of course!

There's the problem, science is honest enough to admit it doesn't know everything. Sadly the pseudo-scientists and followers of other nonsensical fringe-lunacy are not so honest. They think that science's admission that it doesn't yet have the answer gives them carte blanche to spew forth whatever nonsense they feel like and claim it as fact

I feel I am flogging this following quote to death, but it remains valid:

Science knows that it doesn't know everything; otherwise, it'd stop. But just because science doesn't know everything doesn't mean you can fill in the gaps with whatever fairy tale most appeals to you.
- Comedian, mathematician and physicst Dara O Briain
  • Like 2