Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ten days left .....

keithisco

Stupidity or not? You decide:

Anyone wanting to buy a powerful vacuum cleaner has only 10 days left to be certain of getting one - following new EU rules that come in next month.

From 1 September, companies in the EU will be banned from making or importing vacuum cleaners above 1600 watts.

Hoover - based in South Wales - said that most of its cleaners were in that category.

It has been replacing its models since July with less powerful versions, but a few are still left on the shelves.

Elements of the directive - known as 2009/125/EC - are being challenged by the Dyson group

Source (BBC): http://www.bbc.com/news/business-28878432

• Like 4

Hmmmm... Less power = less dust/dirt pickup = more time spent vacuuming = savings (how?)...

• Like 2

Ebay is going to be heaving and china are going to be laughing all the way to the bank.

Does not bother me though, we do not use anything that powerful on our boat, my little hoover does it all in 10 minutes. :yes: (and thats 9 minutes more than I care for) :cry:

• Like 3

I guess the states are not effected, or am I not seeing something there? Anyways, I wouldn't care. We have one of those bagless ones, and even then I don't use it as much. I have two carpet sweepers, considering we have more oriental rugs to wall to wall carpets, and we're planning to rip those up to expose the hardwood underneath. I prefer using the carpet sweepers. I hate lugging the vacuum cleaner all over the place.

Im selling my hoover... well, it was just collecting dust! :lol:

That one liner earned a top prize at the Edinburgh comedy festival

• Like 3

Im selling my hoover... well, it was just collecting dust! :lol:

That one liner earned a top prize at the Edinburgh comedy festival

Top prize? Jeeze, the other one liners must have sucked.

Get it, hoover? sucked? Oh forget it!

• Like 2

Top prize? Jeeze, the other one liners must have sucked.

Get it, hoover? sucked? Oh forget it!

Heard the Hoover joke? It bags a prize at Edinburgh! One-liner helps Tim Vine clean up Fringe's best contest for second time

It is the second time comedian, Tim Vine, 47, has won the best joke award at the festival

He won in 2010 with: 'I've just been on a once-in-a-lifetime holiday. I'll tell you what, never again'

Organisers collect jokes and then put them to public, with Vine's gag receiving a fifth of votes

Ria Lina came fifth: 'I wanted to do a show about feminism. But my husband wouldn't let me.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2727694/I-decided-sell-Hoover-just-collecting-dust-Tim-Vine-one-liner-takes-best-joke-award-Edinburgh-Fringe.html#ixzz3B48bL0d8

• Like 1

QUOTE-

The rules will get even tougher in

three years' time.

From 1 September 2017, all vacuum

cleaners will have to be less than

900w.

where's Nigel Farage when you need him.....

• Like 2

QUOTE-

three years' time.

900w.

where's Nigel Farage when you need him.....

Hoovering up a few more seats left by the opposition.

• Like 1

QUOTE-

three years' time.

900w.

Be more efficient by then to make us take our carpets outside, hang them up and give them a good bash with something.

• Like 2

Be more efficient by then to make us take our carpets outside, hang them up and give them a good bash with something.

i reckon the EU rule book should be hefty enough to knock the bejeebus outt'n even a '70's p**n star's rug Skookum!

:o

• Like 1

Hoovering up a few more seats left by the opposition.

you're certainly cleaning up on the hoover jokes today Freet!

:-)

• Like 1

200 M2 of fitted carpets - time to invest in a bigger line to hang them up on :whistle: ... at least I have my "Bashing Buddy" >>> :sk :sk

Edited by keithisco
  • Like 1

Seriously a Hoover rated 1600 watts or above - banning It, banning it? time and time again its the same old rubbish by the EU. If it doesn't conform to EU ban it. It just goes to show the lengths the EU go to, the lowest level they will sink to in order to meddle.

EU rules dictated the shape and size of 36 varieties of produce, from apricots to watermelons, effectively banishing all but perfect specimens. Back in 2009, an EU ban on fresh produce that didn’t match standard shapes and sizes, including curly cucumbers and knobbly carrots, was lifted. Up to that point an estimated 20 to 40% of UK fruit and vegetables was rejected even before it reached the shops.

"EU official is that a carrot" -YES, "EU official no its not its wonky" BAN.

"EU official, is that a Kiwi fruit? It looks like a Kiwi fruit, -YES, its a Kiwi fruit, "EU official have you weighed it? -No, "EU official" weigh it. -okay, 58g- "EU Official: checks EU list; for definition of Kiwi fruit. description according to EU rules: Class II kiwis must weigh a minimum of 62g. "EU official how much does your kiwi weigh?" 58g. Sorry, it looks like a kiwi tastes like a kiwi, and is a kiwi anywhere else in the world - but under EU rules its not a kiwi. in order to be a kiwi in the Soviet European Union it must weigh a minimum 62g" yours weighs 58g BAN.

Welcome to the of the Soviet Federation States of Europe. comrade.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 3

the sooner we're free from this lunacy Steve, the better.

I couldn't agree more. It looks like the tide as turned and given a referendum the majority would vote to leave. thank god.

• Like 1

Think of the fishing lunacy as well.

A Prawn fishing boat will catch fish alongside prawns. It is inevitable, so the EU in it's wisdom allows only 65% of the catch to be made up of fish of various species. When the fish are hauled up they are dead, so the fishing boat when it reaches it's quoter has to start throwing back perfectly good, edible and saleable fish or come back to port and make a probable loss.

• Like 1

Now EU targets hairdryers and lawn mowers: Brussels set to introduce ban on devices to meet energy efficiency targets

Dozens of energy-sapping electrical devices could be banned as of spring

Follows plans that powerful vacuum cleaners will be banned next week

Power of hairdryers could be reduced by 30 per cent according to study

Critics have said it was another example of 'nannying EU interference'

Current legislation covers TVs, washing machines, fridges and vacuums

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2737313/Now-EU-targets-hairdryers-lawn-mowers-Brussels-set-introduce-ban-devices-meet-energy-efficiency-targets.html#ixzz3Bm2YoupH

• Like 1

I'd be interested in seeing a comparison on energy usage of the now-banned vacuums vs the housefuls of vampire electronics that suck a constant supply of power 24/7. I can't imagine the power usage from vacuuming 20 minutes a week comes anywhere near the drain from these devices.

Not to mention, as someone said above, folks will just have to vacuum longer. Kind of like low flow toilets. Yes, they use less water, but sometimes you have to flush twice.

• Like 1

When you think of the measures being taken, the mind boggles. Its not only a case of not being able to purchase a vacuum cleaner 1600 or more within the EU but you are also banned from importing such a vacuum cleaner. Its a vacuum cleaner today what will it be tomorrow, and the day after. Don't you just love the EU. the the rest of the world must just laugh at europe.

• Like 1