Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A spectacular landscape of star formation

FollowTheTrail

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Waspie_Dwarf

• FollowTheTrail

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in the process of posting this but FollowTheTrail beat me to it.

The the original ESO release on this image can be found HERE.

I have already posted the image the article talks refers to here- Star formation in the southern Milky Way -in the Deep Space and Astronomy section of UM Space Exploration gallery

I will post the accompanying videos in the near future.

Zooming in on star formation in the southern Milky Way

This zoom sequence takes the viewer deep into the spectacular southern Milky Way in the constellation of Carina (The Keel). We see two regions where stars are forming, the very rich cluster NGC 3603 and its surroundings and the strange glowing gas clouds known as NGC 3576. The final detailed views come from images taken with the Wide Field Imager on the MPG/ESO 2.2-metre telescope at ESO’s La Silla Observatory in Chile.

Credit: ESO/G. Beccari/N. Risinger (skysurvey.org). Music: movetwo

Source: ESO Observatory

A close-up look at star formation in the southern Milky Way

This pan video gives a close-up view of a spectacular mosaic of images from the Wide Field Imager on the MPG/ESO 2.2-metre telescope at ESO’s La Silla Observatory in Chile that shows two dramatic star formation regions in the southern Milky Way. The first is of these, on the left, is dominated by the star cluster NGC 3603, located 20 000 light-years away, in the Carina–Sagittarius spiral arm of the Milky Way galaxy. The second object, on the right, is a collection of glowing gas clouds known as NGC 3576 that lies only about half as far from Earth.

Credit: ESO/G. Beccari. Music: movetwo

Source: ESO Observatory