Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Boy arrested for 'killing pet dinosaur'

Still Waters

A South Carolina student and his mom are steamed at school officials who called the cops after the high schooler wrote a story about killing his neighbor's pet dinosaur.

"I could understand if they made him rewrite it because he did have 'gun' in it," said mother Karen Gray. "I mean first of all we don't have dinosaurs anymore. Second of all, he's not even old enough to buy a gun."

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1910447

• Like 3

The kid wrote an essay about gunning down Dino?

Sounds like he is the embodiment of lyrical genius. Or maybe he is just drowning in common sense.

• Like 1

Not sure what is more shocking:

the arrest

the fantasy story about having a gun and putting it in writing at school

or the school not realizing that this was obviously a story.

I feel for the folks in South Carolina, teachers and kids.

Arrest them all................for stupidity.

• Like 8

Oy.... I swear people are such goddamn pansies today. Sniff in their direction and they'll call the cops saying your spreading biological agents.

• Like 7

Well, now, not that I'm defending the over reactions of the police.... But he was arrested because he continually argued with the police and they booked him for disorderly conduct.

• Like 5

Well, now, not that I'm defending the over reactions of the police.... But he was arrested because he continually argued with the police and they booked him for disorderly conduct.

To be fair, how many of us were orderly at 16?

• Like 5

The ****ing police shouldn't have been there in the first place.

• Like 6

Still, the police should have fined the school for wasting polic resources.

"What's that? Domestic disturbance two blocks down? No, sorry, I have to take care of this kid who wrote something that upset a teacher. Yeah I'm serious!"

Actually, I wonder if any of the school faculty are friends with that idiot who called the cops because a restaurant messed up her order?

• Like 5

Maybe he was listening to the Dead Milkmen.

Big Lizard in my backyard-

Mabon.

I am more inclined to say "The ****ing school should not have phoned them in the first place."

The parents should have been called, let them take responsibility for their kid and if the school does not like his conduct, suspend or expel him.

• Like 4

I swear I think logic has gone out the window. The world is going to hell in a hand basket!!!!!!!

• Like 5

I swear I think logic has gone out the window. The world is going to hell in a hand basket!!!!!!!

Just make sure you don't say the world has a handgun in a basket....because that will result in lethal enforcement of the law.

• Like 4

Honestly the kid should be hailed a hero.

If his neighbor is cloning dinosaurs next door, someone should put a stop to it.

*(this is a joke*

Edited by Scheming B
  • Like 8

If his neighbor is cloning dinosaurs next door, someone should put a stop to it.

*(this is a joke*

cloning dinosaurs? I think I will stick with the floating sheet ghost thread.

• Like 2

Maybe some of these School officials have been cloned and that might explain the stupidity...

• Like 4

*(this is a joke*

Idk why but this post was one of the rare times that I actually laughed out loud

Yeah, I'm in agreement with you all here. This was utterly stupid! Society is becoming too pretentious for its own good. Just friggin pathetic.

• Like 4

Maybe some of these School officials have been cloned and that might explain the stupidity...

I doubt even the best scientists could clone that kind of stupidity. Nope, I reckon they are full blooded humans of todays numpty society, that would explain the stupidity.

• Like 2

I doubt even the best scientists could clone that kind of stupidity. Nope, I reckon they are full blooded humans of todays numpty society, that would explain the stupidity.

I stand corrected...

• Like 2

*(this is a joke*

To be fair, I would eat the **** **** outta some dino bacon.

Yeah, I'm in agreement with you all here. This was utterly stupid! Society is becoming too pretentious for its own good. Just friggin pathetic.

This stems from the fact there are just too many of us.

There are more bones walking above ground than buried in the ground......for most of human history.

And with that many people you have that much more stupidity breeding.

• Like 3

This stems from the fact there are just too many of us.

There are more bones walking above ground than buried in the ground......for most of human history.

And with that many people you have that much more stupidity breeding.

Just like in the movie idiocracy!

I love the "more bones walking above ground than buried in the ground" comment. That's just classic. Thank you for the chuckle man! :w00t:

• Like 2

I disagree. If the school called them, unless they were preoccupied, I see nothing wrong with them going.

The school should have handled this in house. This just seems strange.

Found this. It seems the school really flubbed this up. The teacher mostly (see bolded below).

The boy is 16, so not quite as young as that sentence makes it sound. He also suffers from a unspecified learning disorder and the "story" was written in a resource class that was supposed to aid him with that problem. Here's a few more details about the creative writing project gone stupidly wrong.

Alex Stone, 16, said he was assigned to come up with a fictional story for a creative writing assignment at Summerville High School on August 19, 2014. The brief assignment involved writing a few lines that were supposed to mimic a social media post; a “status update” drafted on paper.

Stone’s submission discussed himself and a fictitious dinosaur that lived next door to him. He wrote that he used a gun to kill the dinosaur.

“I killed my neighbor’s pet dinosaur, and, then, in the next status I said I bought the gun to take care of the business,” Stone said to

As is the case with most stories involving non-threats being portrayed as threats, those reading Stone's words as a threat removed the context around them. This was quite a feat, considering the teacher who expressed concern to administrators had all the context right in front of her. It's just that she stripped it away when emailing school officials.

According to an incident report, a resource teacher identified as Jessica Lewis emailed Assistant Principal Preston Giet on Monday evening to tell him she discovered a reference to a gun while going over students' assignments.

"The email stated that the suspect had written in a classroom assignment that he had 'bought a gun to take care of business,'" the report said.

A "school resource officer" was summoned (which basically means a moonlighting/specially-assigned police officer was summoned). School officials then passed on the information to the rest of the police department, which arrived to question Stone, search his locker, his book bag and his person. His mother wasn't informed of this until after it happened. In addition, Stone, despite proving to be no threat, was arrested and suspended for the rest of the week.

It looks like the police arrested Stone for his supposed gun threat, but the Summerville PD claims that isn't true.

"The information that is being reported is grossly incorrect in reference to what led to the juvenile being charged," said Capt. Jon Rogers in a Summerville police statement released on Thursday."The charges do not stem from anything involving a dinosaur or writing assignment, but the student's conduct."

OK, then. Here's the extent of Stone's "conduct," according to the police themselves.

According to police, when Stone was asked by school officials about the comment written on the assignment, he became "very irate" and said it was a joke.

A Summerville Police Department report states that Stone continued to be disruptive and was placed in handcuffs, and was told that he was being detained for disturbing schools.

It would appear that Stone was only "disturbing" school officials who seemed intent on finding some evidence of his desire to shoot people and was understandably frustrated that they wouldn't believe it wasn't some sort of threat. Whatever disturbance Stone caused was limited to a single office. There was no reason for anyone to claim, much less believe, that his written assignment, or his behavior inside that office, was "disturbing" his classmates, other classes or anyone else not directly involved.

This is the totality of the school's response to the situation.