Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Adobe Flash Installation Issue

Bendy Demon

Ok..I have two computers that use the same browsers.

I can update the Flash plugin on one but not another. Both machines have the same anti-virus so both machines can update other plugins but one will not update flash.

I get as far as downloading the installer then clicking on it then after that nothing happens...for the entire day.

So I tried disabling Adobe Acrobat Reader to see if that was the culprit..apparently it wasn't.

SO....I tried updating the Shockwave plugin to see if that was the issue but that wasn't it either. I tried restarting FF in safe mode with the add ons disabled. Nuh-uh...no go.

I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do, I looked at the anti-virus settings but there is nothing preventing plug-ins from updating.

To be fair I used PaleMoon on the computer I am typing on to update Flash but the other uses only FF.

I doubt it is the browser so other then that I just do not know what to do. There was a time you could simply download the Flash program and install it as you wish but now you have to be connected and get the stoopid down loader then update from there.

Do both machines work with the same OS?

Yes. Both machines have XP Service Pack 3 and both are completely updated.

Do you have flash player disabled on one of the browsers?

well, this gets funny... lets do the following, take the downloaded file from Adobe that you got to update your first computer, copy it on a USB stick and run it on the second computer... that should solve the problem.

Thanks but that didn't do it either.

I did a malware scan but it showed nothing. I double click and it does nothing

I wish I could get the program with relying on the downloader.

Thanks but that didn't do it either.

I did a malware scan but it showed nothing. I double click and it does nothing

I wish I could get the program with relying on the downloader.

Uninstall Flash player (through control panel, add/remove software) , run malware again and get yourself a new copy at the adobe download center. There is something fishy on your computer.

If you to http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ and download the Flash player plugin from there it should work. I am not sure why it doesn't for you. Perhaps you could try to fetch the downloader from softpedia, a trusted program finder but since it's the exact same file it probably won't change anything.

http://www.softpedia...sh-Player.shtml

If everything else fail and you can't find a solution, you might want to consider using Google Chrome. It has the Pepper Flash plugin sandboxed within the browser itself which means that Adobe flash player is updated automatically with Chrome. No more trouble. Google is still supporting XP too.

Adobe Reader and Acrobat for XP no longer receive any kind of update since May 2014 (see: http://helpx.adobe.c...r-on-winxp.html). Since Adobe do not have the reputation of producing the safest programs out there and that Microsoft no longer support XP, that can become a real security issue at some point, especially if these computers are for everyday's usage. It's up to you but you should seriously consider upgrading your Windows operating system or go for a free and open source Linux alternative. Lubuntu or Linux Mint 17 Xfce for exemple are known to work well on older hardware since they are designed to be light on ressources. Not only will your operating system and applications be kept up-to-date, you can also forget about malware and antiviruses.

Edited by sam_comm

At Questionmark:

I didn't mean to ignore you and I may try your suggestion when I have the time.

At samm:

My concern is if the tactic quaetionmark suggested doesn't work then the one computer has no flash.

I agree about Adobe and I wish I could use Foxit on both but I need at least one computer with Adobe to get my tax documents because the sites that give them won't let you use anything but Acrobat in order to view the documents so they can be printed.

I would like to try Linux Mint but I guess I feel somewhat intimidated because I am not a coder or programmer and having to type in all sorts of stuff just to install something seems like a pain in the spleen.

I suppose I am just lazy in that I just want to install and go (sounds like a name for a gas station), I have some programs I don't want to give up so I suppose I could partition the drive.

Anyways..I appreciate the help. The computer in question is a refurbished machine from an office so maybe that is part of the question..I don't know.

Thanks again. :)

At Questionmark:

I didn't mean to ignore you and I may try your suggestion when I have the time.

At samm:

My concern is if the tactic quaetionmark suggested doesn't work then the one computer has no flash.

I agree about Adobe and I wish I could use Foxit on both but I need at least one computer with Adobe to get my tax documents because the sites that give them won't let you use anything but Acrobat in order to view the documents so they can be printed.

I would like to try Linux Mint but I guess I feel somewhat intimidated because I am not a coder or programmer and having to type in all sorts of stuff just to install something seems like a pain in the spleen.

I suppose I am just lazy in that I just want to install and go (sounds like a name for a gas station), I have some programs I don't want to give up so I suppose I could partition the drive.

Anyways..I appreciate the help. The computer in question is a refurbished machine from an office so maybe that is part of the question..I don't know.

Thanks again. :)

There are many Linux distributions that are just install and go (including Suse, Ubuntu and so on). All you have to do is download the installation code and off you go...

As I pointed out, if everything else fail, you should consider using for Google Chrome. Flash player is within the browser, so you don't need to do anything as it gets updated automatically with Chrome. That would solve your problem instantly. Even if you don't like Chrome, it's better than using an outdated Flash plugin on XP.

That's strange. Usually, any PDF viewer should do the job to view documents and print them. Anyway, it's enterily possible to install the latest Adobe Reader on Linux, if that's what you decide to do to at some point. There are tutorial online that describe step-by-step how that can be done. As for me when I use Linux I only need Evince which is a nice open-source PDF viewer that gets the job done when needed. These days both Chrome and Firefox have their own built-in PDF viewer which I find very convenient.

It's no longer true. Ubuntu and Linux Mint have become user-friendly and now targets the public, the laymen that just want an OS that ''works'' out of the box. Both have apps center to download most of what people need. Of course Linux is not Windows and it is not meant to be. Indeed adjustements are required, you may feel lost in the beginning. You will need to use open-source alternative software. Exemple: instead of Microsoft Office one will go for LibreOffice, instead of Adobe Photoshop you can use GIMP or Darktable ect. Many think it is not a great compromise to be able to use a free and secure operating system with long term support.

You know what, you can try Linux without commiting to anything. You just burn the ISO file on a DVD or boot it in a USB drive (lots of online tutorial on how to do this) and you boot the media in live mode so that you can play with it as long as you want and see if that works for you without affecting Windows.

Edited by sam_comm

Microsoft has ceased all support for XP and will be doing the same with Win7 in a couple of months.

There are various Linux distros with long term support and not all are embedded with Adobe Flash player...except for one obscure distro...Deepin 2014.

All video formats play out of the box, not only that but the player offers the ability to covert formats if required (eg. MP4 to AVI). Apart from that, this distro is the most beautiful and user friendly Linux OS I have had the pleasure of using. It is now the OS of choice on all my machines. http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/07/deepin-2014-final-released-available-download

Microsoft has ceased all support for XP and will be doing the same with Win7 in a couple of months.

There are various Linux distros with long term support and not all are embedded with Adobe Flash player...except for one obscure distro...Deepin 2014.

All video formats play out of the box, not only that but the player offers the ability to covert formats if required (eg. MP4 to AVI). Apart from that, this distro is the most beautiful and user friendly Linux OS I have had the pleasure of using. It is now the OS of choice on all my machines. http://www.omgubuntu...ilable-download

Windows will not end all support for windows 7. It will only end mainstream support in January 2015, but people will still get extended support until January 2020. With extended support you will still get security updates, so people with Windows 7 with security pack 1 installed have over five years to switch to something newer....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/07/10/microsoft-windows-7-mainstream-support/

Edited by Euphorbia
  • Like 2

Linux Mint ships Adobe Flash Player for Firefox (as well as multimedia codecs) out the box. On Ubuntu it only takes a few seconds to download it from the Ubuntu Software Center.

Windows will not end all support for windows 7. It will only end mainstream support in January 2015, but people will still get extended support until January 2020.

If you take XP for exemple, the mainstream support ended on December 2009 but the OS was still maintained with security updates until April 2014. A Windows operating system is considered safe to use as long as it receives security updates to fix vulnerabilities. So, indeed Windows 7 users have nothing to worry about until 2020 which is still a long way to go.

Edited by sam_comm

Linux Mint ships Adobe Flash Player for Firefox (as well as multimedia codecs) out the box. On Ubuntu it only takes a few seconds to download it from the Ubuntu Software Center.

If you take XP for exemple, the mainstream support ended on December 2009 but the OS was still maintained with security updates until April 2014. A Windows operating system is considered safe to use as long as it receives security updates to fix vulnerabilities. So, indeed Windows 7 users have nothing to worry about until 2020 which is still a long way to go.

Even after that you could still use it if you're careful. There are still plenty of businesses with computers running Windows XP. The OS may not be getting security updates anymore but plenty of third party apps still do.