Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New coywolf species appears in North America

UM-Bot

A cross between coyotes and wolves has been taking over in some areas of the United States.

Consisting of around 25% wolf DNA, 66% coyote DNA and the rest from domestic dogs, these unusual cross-breeds have been sighted with increasing regularity in several regions including in West Virginia and to the north of the Great Lakes.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/271395/coywolf-species-appears-in-north-america

• Like 4

It'll be interesting to see how the states where coyote hunting is legal and wolf hunting is illegal handle this.

I'd assume since it's more coyote than wolf it would be legal. I wonder when they started to cross breed in the first place and if they can reproduce.

Evolution marches on. I was watching a show about this on PBS and yes they can reproduce.

More of gods creations coming to life! Awesome stuff!

• Like 1

I hear and see them all the time here in PA. Have a few on trail cams. A beautiful black one too, weighs at least 70lbs. They are huge, not like a scrawny western coyote. Gorgeous animals. And totally harmless

• Like 1

Coyotes have also been referred to as Prairie Wolves like a Cougar has several names like Puma or Mountain Lion.

• Like 1

I will disregard this until I read about it in a peer reviewed journal.

I hear and see them all the time here in PA. Have a few on trail cams. A beautiful black one too, weighs at least 70lbs. They are huge, not like a scrawny western coyote. Gorgeous animals. And totally harmless

Not really harmless. They will kill small livestock, chickens, dogs and many other small animals.

• Like 1

@ Neognosis

There's nothing to disregard. Unless these are packs of Canadian Red Wolves on my property, I believe what the PA Game Commision says that these are coyote/wolf hybrids. These are large German Shepard's running around essentially. And yes I mean harmless to humans. They have killed a lot of livestock in the area. And I don't let the shihtzu out at night without me being there. More dangerous than a Bigfoot I suppose

• Like 1

This is not really new. There is at least one UM thread about this in 2010 or 2011. I'll see if I can find it.

As of 2010, the eastern coyote's genetic makeup is fairly uniform, with minimal influence from the wolves or western coyotes.[5]

http://en.wikipedia....f-coyote_hybrid

I will disregard this until I read about it in a peer reviewed journal.

http://www.easternco...inalInPrint.pdf

2010 Northeastern Naturalist 17(2):189–204
These results indicate that the eastern Coyote should more appropriately be termed “Coywolf” to reflect their hybrid (C. latrans x lycaon) origin.

EDIT: UM Thread 2011

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

Thank you, Diechecker.

I've seen these in the adirondacks, though I just though they were large coyotes.

• Like 2

Let's capture a few , cross breed them with the chihuahua's that seem to be every where . Then release the little buggers . No longer a BIG problem .

• Like 1

Thank you, Diechecker.

I've seen these in the adirondacks, though I just though they were large coyotes.

Not a problem. You post great stuff. :nw:

Not really harmless. They will kill small livestock, chickens, dogs and many other small animals.

You mean they kill them and eat them before we get a chance to? b*******!

• Like 2

You mean they kill them and eat them before we get a chance to? b*******!

Yep. We are not harmless either.

I have chickens. If an animal tries to eat my chicken, I shoot it (or trap it and kill it).

• Like 1

Wolves and coyotes are the same species. Canines. pugs and chows and german shephards and all breeds of dogs can breed with wolfs and coyotes. They are the same species. My daughter had a half wolf and husky. They are the same species period.