Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Roscosmos to Build Inflatable Space Stations

Waspie_Dwarf

Roscosmos Wants $440 Million to Build Inflatable Space Stations

Russia's space agency, Roscosmos, has requested 16 billion rubles ($440 million) for the development of inflatable space station habitats, Interfax reported Monday, citing a copy of the proposed federal space program for 2016-2025.

The program, which Russian media reports say was submitted to the government last week, contains proposals for a number of ambitious projects, including moon bases and super-heavy lift rockets.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

what happens if it leaks or gets a hole in it.. pass!

• Like 1

what happens if it leaks or gets a hole in it.. pass!

If you think about it they are no different from a spacesuit, just on a larger scale. In the the 49 years since the first astronaut walked in space there have been no major leaks in spacesuits and none have ever been holed.

As for the threat of space debris puncturing an inflatable module, so what? The velocities involved mean that anything that would punch a hole in an inflatable, kevlar protected, module would punch a hole in a conventional module. If it happened then the procedures would be exactly the same as in a conventional module, evacuate and shut the hatch behind you.

US company Bigelow launched two inflatable modules, Genesis I in 2006 and Genesis II in 2007. Both remain in orbit and operation. No holes, no punctures well beyond the 5 year design life of the Roscosmos modules.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
typo.
  • Like 2

How will would it work for cosmic radiation. We really need to work on that, even they stuff we are putting up now really doesn't work for that as far as I know, but I might be wrong. I think on the moon your best bet is to go under ground.

How will would it work for cosmic radiation.

In low Earth orbit there is no problem.

We really need to work on that, even they stuff we are putting up now really doesn't work for that as far as I know, but I might be wrong.

There are still problems with long term exposure on deep space missions. There is also a problem with solar flares, however for solar flares there is no need for an entire spaceship to be shielded, you just need a shelter to hide in until the threat has gone. This means that inflatable modules can play a part in deep space exploration.

I think on the moon your best bet is to go under ground.

Underground works, but placing a sufficiently deep layer of lunar soil over the modules will also work.

• Like 2

This is actually a very interesting idea....I had the same concern about holes...and then thought about space suits as well.

I am just waiting for somebody to build a space elevator.

Those clever Ruskies! First they invent flexible borders, now this!

• Like 1

Those clever Ruskies!

Actually the USA built the first inflatable space modules and will have an inflatable module on the ISS before Russia.

Actually the USA built the first inflatable space modules and will have an inflatable module on the ISS before Russia.

I know. I was being silly, and it was Hitler that invented flexible borders.