Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Young man shot and killed by police

Rafterman

So by now we've all probably heard of Michael Brown. But have you heard of Dillon Taylor? Did you know that Mr. Taylor, who was white, was shot and killed by a police officer, who wasn't white, in the parking lot of a 7-11 near Salt Lake City just two days after Michael Brown was shot in Missouri and was claimed by his family to be unarmed and simply walking in the parking lot?

Are the cases similar? Some claim they are. Conservative media has jumped all over it as a blatant example of media bias and the racial double standard. Supporters of Taylor have done their best to link the two cases in an attempt to attack over zealous, trigger-happy police officers and the militarization of police in general.

One of the biggest differences in the two cases, however, is that SLC police officers wear body cameras and there is a recording of this incident that has been viewed by attorneys and the chief of police. Unfortunately, it has not been released to the media as of yet - but it no doubt will be at some point.

Here are some pertinent articles on the incident:

http://www.deseretne...era.html?pg=all

http://www.sltrib.co...e-salt.html.csp

http://www.washingto...&utm_medium=RSS

Edited by Rafterman

here is a clip of the event, tho you dont see the actual shooting, its in amongst the news report about 35secs

http://kutv.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_13131.shtml

Obviously, there is a war against white men in this country.

-Spike Lee.

Oh, darn, I think I may have misquoted that.

• Like 1

like i always have been saying, they do not care if they are taped. they will commit musconduct on camera, deny it, and still be justified.

• Like 2

Behind the race issues, people need to open their eyes to the root problem...over zealous, over militarized and trigger happy police.

I can completely understand the police feeling "in fear of their lives" and taking appropriate measures...but what determines "fear of one's life"?

Is it a 20 pound dog that is barking at a no knock forced entry?

Is it a 120 pound skinny, unarmed teenager?

Is it a 6'-6" heavy set unarmed black man or big and strong but unarmed black teen?

I get a little upset at the justifications we hear for deadly force. I am sure there are times it is required...but I am also sure non-lethal means could be used in many of these cases.

Over the weekend here where I live, the cops shot and killed a guy. He came to the door with a pistol and when the police told him to drop it, he raised and pointed it at them...so they shot him. That one makes sense to me...this guy WAS armed...but the white kid that was shot...well...I don't know every nuance of the situation, but from what I have heard, it was simply because he had headphones on and didn't hear the cops shouting at him to stop walking...so they shot him...

If we do not set a limit and some rules, the cops...just like everyone else...will push the envelope as far as we let them and will always have an excuse for brutal and violent tactics...whether actually justified or not.

• Like 3

like i always have been saying, they do not care if they are taped. they will commit musconduct on camera, deny it, and still be justified.

I would tend to agree, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't require body cameras.

We also need an independent oversight investigation that would take over on any instances where cops shoot someone.

• Like 1

But, ultimately, the only way we can raise awareness on this is if we riot and loot.

I suggest we start with the 7-eleven.

Behind the race issues, people need to open their eyes to the root problem...over zealous, over militarized and trigger happy police.

I can completely understand the police feeling "in fear of their lives" and taking appropriate measures...but what determines "fear of one's life"?

Is it a 20 pound dog that is barking at a no knock forced entry?

Is it a 120 pound skinny, unarmed teenager?

Is it a 6'-6" heavy set unarmed black man or big and strong but unarmed black teen?

I get a little upset at the justifications we hear for deadly force. I am sure there are times it is required...but I am also sure non-lethal means could be used in many of these cases. Of course I'm sure the LEO counter to that is "but you don't know what it's like out there" which is totally true. But if that's your primary mindset, people are going to die for no reason.

Over the weekend here where I live, the cops shot and killed a guy. He came to the door with a pistol and when the police told him to drop it, he raised and pointed it at them...so they shot him. That one makes sense to me...this guy WAS armed...but the white kid that was shot...well...I don't know every nuance of the situation, but from what I have heard, it was simply because he had headphones on and didn't hear the cops shouting at him to stop walking...so they shot him...

If we do not set a limit and some rules, the cops...just like everyone else...will push the envelope as far as we let them and will always have an excuse for brutal and violent tactics...whether actually justified or not.

I agree. While everyone has a right to go home to their families every night after work, I think that by taking up the profession of law enforcement you should also accept that your job is to "serve and protect" and sometimes that means exposing yourself to greater danger in the service of the citizenry.

I also feel that good old fashioned police work has taken a backseat to door rams, breaching charges, and assault teams. Citizens are getting shot, injured, and killed simply because they are exercising their rights to self protection and that's wrong. If somebody kicked open my door in the middle of the night, I'd be doing my best to defend myself and my family from the invader. I shouldn't have to double check that they're cops before I do.

Edited by Rafterman
  • Like 3

A rural Mississippi man suffered life-threatening injuries and required brain surgery after he entered a Waffle House despite receiving a warning not to enter the restaurant because of the color of his skin.

The severe beating occurred early Sunday morning around 2 a.m., reports The Clarion-Ledger. Up to 20 assailants participated.

The injured man is Ralph Weems IV, a veteran of the Iraq War and a Marine. He is white.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2014/08/26/iraq-war-vet-was-warned-waffle-house-wasnt-safe-for-whites-gets-beaten-needs-brain-surgery/#ixzz3BWMr1Mcb

• Like 3

We have unarmed cops in the UK. And we have a really diverse population. Armed cops are only sent to armed incidents, We seem to have managed quite well with batons and tear gas only. Oh and courage. And yes UK cities can be very violent. Going to a club, then a kebab shop after, then a fight....is pretty normal on weekends here, in some places anyway

ETA: And tazers!

Edited by seeder

We have unarmed cops in the UK. And we have a really diverse population. Armed cops are only sent to armed incidents, We seem to have managed quite well with batons and tear gas only. Oh and courage. And yes UK cities can be very violent. Going to a club, then a kebab shop after, then a fight....is pretty normal on weekends here, in some places anyway

ETA: And tazers!

So you support the use of police using chemical weapons not allowed in military conflicts?

Sorry, had to put my lib hat on for a minute.

But, ultimately, the only way we can raise awareness on this is if we riot and loot.

I suggest we start with the 7-eleven.

Raise your style level.

The 7-11? Really?

Loot the Best Buy. Hell, they're dying anyway. it'll be good for them.

Harte

• Like 1

A rural Mississippi man suffered life-threatening injuries and required brain surgery after he entered a Waffle House despite receiving a warning not to enter the restaurant because of the color of his skin.

The severe beating occurred early Sunday morning around 2 a.m., reports The Clarion-Ledger. Up to 20 assailants participated.

The injured man is Ralph Weems IV, a veteran of the Iraq War and a Marine. He is white.

Read more: http://dailycaller.c.../#ixzz3BWMr1Mcb

My favorite part of this story:

This does not appear to be a hate crime,” local police chief Tim Brinkley said, according to The Times-Picayune. “It’s very early in this investigation but thus far the evidence and statements suggest that a verbal altercation turned physical and somebody got hurt.”

But if you get into an argument with an old lady, call her Rosa Parks, (and happen to be white) then THAT is a hate crime.

• Like 1

My favorite part of this story:

This does not appear to be a hate crime,” local police chief Tim Brinkley said, according to The Times-Picayune. “It’s very early in this investigation but thus far the evidence and statements suggest that a verbal altercation turned physical and somebody got hurt.”

But if you get into an argument with an old lady, call her Rosa Parks, (and happen to be white) then THAT is a hate crime.

yeah...I heard that too...

There was another incident I heard about in the last couple of days where a teenage white kid is having to have plastic surgery on his face because a couple of "youths" yelled "hey white boy" and then smashed him in the face with a rock..."but not a hate crime"

I think if you use a racial slur and violence together...that MUST apparently constitute a hate crime. If you say "hey homo" and then beat up a homosexual or trangendered person...that is a hate crime.

We have this never ending call for equality...but apparently only white heterosexual men are capable of hate crimes....yeah that sure is equality in action...

• Like 2

Kansas Police Shoot Unarmed White Teen 16 times As By Standers Beg Them to Stop Shooting

Day after day police seem to feel using excessive force is the way to protect the communities they serve. Joseph Jennings is the latest example, on Aug 25th Joseph Jennings was brutally shot by police in The Orscheln Farm and Home parking lot on 2008 Princeton St in Ottawa, Kansas.

Joseph Jenning’s aunt Brandy Smith and her husband were present. Mr Smith was a arms lenght away when the police threatened to shoot him if he didn’t back off. Brandy Smith told KCTV 5, that her husband backed off and police attention turned back to Jennings, that’s when one officer yelled “Bag Him” and proceeded to shoot.

http://beforeitsnews...to-stop-42.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGVPsDhi7dk

Edited by seeder

Video Clears Black Man (M. Jeter) and Cops are Charged!

• Like 2

Justice served!

This, again, just goes to show the need for independent investigators and the importance of video during all police stops.

• Like 2

unfortunately it also shows, how cops will temper with evidence to get away with crimes, in this particular case they did not get away, but how many did??

• Like 3

Kansas Police Shoot Unarmed White Teen 16 times As By Standers Beg Them to Stop Shooting

Day after day police seem to feel using excessive force is the way to protect the communities they serve. Joseph Jennings is the latest example, on Aug 25th Joseph Jennings was brutally shot by police in The Orscheln Farm and Home parking lot on 2008 Princeton St in Ottawa, Kansas.

Joseph Jenning’s aunt Brandy Smith and her husband were present. Mr Smith was a arms lenght away when the police threatened to shoot him if he didn’t back off. Brandy Smith told KCTV 5, that her husband backed off and police attention turned back to Jennings, that’s when one officer yelled “Bag Him” and proceeded to shoot.

http://beforeitsnews...to-stop-42.html

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGVPsDhi7dk[/media]

What a really disheartening story, no gun, no threat, and yet the kid was still shot 16 times. Excessive seems to be a bit of an understatement, and my god his poor aunt and uncle. They just had to witness their nephew in the hospital, make it out alive and then get shot in front of them for no apparent reason? Wow, just wow.

I know they guy was suicidal, a quick google search and I read this,

“And I told them, if he has a gun, it’s a BB gun,” she insisted. “But we don’t know that… He knew that if he acted like he had a gun that they would shoot him, and I told them that.”

“I told them, ‘That’s Joseph Jennings, he’s suicidal, he’s upset, don’t shoot him,’”

So he was going for suicide by cop by acting crazy while pretending to have a gun, if I was a cop I wouldn't take any chances either. 16 shots is way excessive, but I don't think they were wrong in eliminating what appeared to be a crazy guy possibly armed with a gun not backing down.

I know they guy was suicidal, a quick google search and I read this,

. 16 shots is way excessive, but I don't think they were wrong in eliminating what appeared to be a crazy guy possibly armed with a gun not backing down.

they told a person who could help them to disarm him, to stay away or he will get shot, no i see no reason to remove any blame from cops, they were trigger happy thugs, bent on killing someone that day, they did not try 1 bit to cuff him. or arrest him, his (even the presons that tried to help them) life means 0 to them. they belong in jail, not on the streets with guns. and you sound like cops fanboy always finding a justification for these criminals in uniform.

Edited by aztek

I agree that a lot of these issues seem more like overzealous poorly trained police instead of racists. If you actually look at the Fergusson police for over 10 years they have pulled over and issued warrants to an excessively large number of people considering higher crime regions in the area don't even pull over 1/2 that many people or issue 1/4th of the warrants. Also, they have been reprimanded and have a lot more complaints than much larger regions. They just settled with some young white drug dealer they beat up so bad he is permentanly mentally impaired. How would you feel about the police in you lived in this area? How can the streets be safe if you are not safe from the police? I think this goes to the heart of the problem. If we look at this from a racist issue I don't think the actual problem will be solved.

Edited by FurthurBB