Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Girl, 9, kills shooting instructor

OverSword

From the article:

TUCSON Ariz. (Reuters) - A 9-year-old girl accidentally shot and killed her shooting instructor at an Arizona range with an Israeli-made Uzi submachine gun when the weapon's strong recoil caused her to lose control of her aim, police said on Tuesday.

They said that Charles Vacca, 39, had been standing next to the girl at the Last Stop shooting range in White Hills near the Nevada border on Monday morning showing her how to fire the automatic weapon.

When she pulled the trigger, the recoil forced her aim over her head, and Vacca was shot in the head, according to a Mohave County Sheriff’s Office statement.

Vacca was airlifted to nearby Las Vegas, where he was pronounced dead. A spokesman for the sheriff’s department did not know how many times Vacca was shot or what model of Uzi the girl was firing.

Some Uzi models are capable of firing up to 1,700 rounds per minute, or almost 30 rounds per second, according to the manufacturer’s website.

The girl, whom police did not identify, was at the outdoor range with her parents.

Last Stop, which includes a restaurant, bar and RV park, has a “Burgers and Bullets” program that offers customers lunch with a trip to the range, where they can choose from among more than 20 automatic weapons to shoot, according to its website.

Link

How he failed to see the possibility of the recoil causing bullets to run amock is beyond me, I know it would be my greatest fear if I was holding and shooting such a weapon fgs.

And would it not make sense to use blanks if you are training someone on a weapon for the first time - especially a child?

• Like 7

How he failed to see the possibility of the recoil causing bullets to run amock is beyond me, I know it would be my greatest fear if I was holding and shooting such a weapon fgs.

And would it not make sense to use blanks if you are training someone on a weapon for the first time - especially a child?

It defies all common sense. Can you imagine how that little girl will be affected by this as time goes by?
  • Like 8

I'm all for gun rights but really does your nine year old need to shoot an uzi. Like wtf

• Like 7

I don't want to speak too negatively of the dead which is limiting my ability to comment honestly.

• Like 6

it was an accident, thousands of kids, use guns under supervision and do not shoot anyone, accidents happen, even among trained professionals.

• Like 2

I was helping babysit my nephews (5 &7) along with my mother. She gave them needles with the hopes of teaching them how to sow.

The 7 y-o lost his immediately. Needle gone.

I would not trust a 9 y-o with a needle, much less a weapon of life ending potential.

But then again, I don't drink paint in my spare time either. So who am I to judge?

• Like 2

You have to be 16 years old to get behind the wheel of a car...but a 9 year old is allowed to shoot an Uzi. Does anyone else see this as problematic? I certainly do.

That's not true. You can drive at any age but not on the road until you are licensed. I shot my first gun at 9 or 10.
  • Like 1

When I fired my first weapon, at about nine. Someone was holding my hands, and my sister was also in the mix with her fingers in my ears.

A 9 year old with an Uzi. ?????? Not sure about that one there are other weapons to learn on.

Edited by White Crane Feather
  • Like 1

I was telling my son about a similar incident not even a week ago. I was telling him how I thought it was crazy they allow young kids to fire those types of weapons.

I will never forget the first time I read about something like this happening. Do you guys remember this one..

http://www.foxnews.c...zi-at-gun-show/

The father must be haunted from that and this girl probably will be too.

Edited by Kazahel

It defies all common sense. Can you imagine how that little girl will be affected by this as time goes by?

Common sense went alackin' that day. What stupid tool would put that thing in a child's hands?

• Like 1

Common sense went alackin' that day. What stupid tool would put that thing in a child's hands?

Well I have been through back woods Nevada. There is no shortage of ...."interesting" people. I try to stop as least as possible. If you do make it through, stop at the Paiute reservation. The best and cheapest fireworks in the world. My kids still enjoy six foot sparklers.

Edited by White Crane Feather
  • Like 1

Well I have been through back woods Nevada. There is no shortage of ...."interesting" people. I try to stop as least as possible. If you do make it through, stop at the Paiute reservation. The best and cheapest fireworks in the world. My kids still enjoy six foot sparklers.

People love to blow sh!t up. That's a truism. In the olden' days local people relied on blasting caps and expired tnt.

In this case, (40 years later) that poor little girl of nine years old has to deal with the aftermath of what she didn't start. It wasn't her fault, but at the age of nine she's forced to grapple with it. No one should have placed her there. This is a thing that never, ever should have been allowed to happen.

Edit: What right thinking person would give a nine year old a live UZI?

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 5

People love to blow sh!t up. That's a truism. In the olden' days local people relied on blasting caps and expired tnt.

In this case, (40 years later) that poor little girl of nine years old has to deal with the aftermath of what she didn't start. It wasn't her fault, but at the age of nine she's forced to grapple with it. No one should have placed her there. This is a thing that never, ever should have been allowed to happen.

Like I insinuated.... In some places in Nevada... Some people are not always "right thinking".

• Like 1

Like I insinuated.... In some places in Nevada... Some people are not always "right thinking".

Sadly so in so many places.

At that age, she should have been given a single shot .22 to pop off. That's where you start.

• Like 6

At that age, she should have been given a single shot .22 to pop off. That's where you start.

Indeed.

• Like 1

Exactly what I was thinking. The death is not the only tragedy here, that poor girl now has to live with this all her life. And the poor wee thing is only 9. Long way to go.

Did you see Kazahels link?

I was telling my son about a similar incident not even a week ago. I was telling him how I thought it was crazy they allow young kids to fire those types of weapons.

I will never forget the first time I read about something like this happening. Do you guys remember this one..

http://www.foxnews.c...zi-at-gun-show/

The father must be haunted from that and this girl probably will be too.

It's happened before, and considering the love for guns in the US,

The machine gun shoot drew hundreds of people from as far away as Maine and Virginia.

I expect it will happen again. Astounding that anyone thinks a child under 10 should be able to fire an Uzi.

@ kazahel, I had not heard of this one. But crikey Moses. I could not live with myself if I was responsible for that. I would simply not be able to continue existing knowing that was something I had initated.

Edited by psyche101

I honestly believe a child of that age should not be using a weapon at all. I just cannot see a reason for that at all.

• Like 5

I honestly believe a child of that age should not be using a weapon at all. I just cannot see a reason for that at all.

Then maybe they should not be allowed to ride in cars either. It's much more dangerous.

• Like 1

It was never called a weapon. It was a tool to kill a meal. I'm talking about a single shot .22 here. Rabbits, grouse (that type of thing).

An UZI, that a 9 year old killed her ill informed instructor with, is a whole different animal. It's an entirely diffent animal. It's only purpose is to kill people, at short bursts, at close range.

Sadly here in this case, that mission was accomplished.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1

Then maybe they should not be allowed to ride in cars either. It's much more dangerous.

Then you are doing it wrong.

They should not be allowed to drive one for the same reasons as they should not shoot a gun. FFS, they are kids, let them be kids.

• Like 4