Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

2,000-year-old wooden toilet seat discovered

Still Waters

Archaeologists more accustomed to unearthing coins and jewels during digs have discovered a 2,000-year old wooden toilet seat.

While the artefact is less glamorous, it is perfectly preserved and incredibly rare because it is thought to be the only seat of its kind used by the Romans to have survived.

http://www.dailymail...oman-times.html

• Like 2

It even has the gap in the front. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

• Like 4

The archeologist upon finding the seat cheered "Ahh Shi% yeah!"

• Like 3

Is this what we have become? There once was a man from Madrid, who went to the auction to bid. He bought him a load with an ancient commode and he died when he lifted the lid.

• Like 4

I wonder if they'll find some of those shells (I think that's what they were) they used for toilet paper.

Edited by Hobbit Feet
  • Like 2

There are a few hanging in the Loovre Museum, I heard.

Toilet seats?
  • Like 1

I wonder if they'll find some of those shells (I think that's what they were) they used for toilet paper.

I guess you've seen "Demolition Man".

I couldn't remember what they were so I looked up the original article, "Roman ceramic 'gaming pieces' were loo roll". The first thing I thought of at the time was "Demolition Man".

I need a good argument for my wife. I need to know, did they find the toilet seat in the 'UP' or 'DOWN' position?

• Like 4

I couldn't remember what they were so I looked up the original article, "Roman ceramic 'gaming pieces' were loo roll". The first thing I thought of at the time was "Demolition Man".

That's the first thing I thought of, too. Demolition Man, I mean. I believe the Romans actually used a sponge on a stick. There's a great scene in one of the seasons of Spartacus ("Gods of the Arena"?) in which the Batiatus character uses one of public toilets of Capua. This was not the time and place if you preferred to do your "business" in private.

I'm waiting for the next archaeological find for the toilet seat: the accompanying magazine rack. You know, Emperor Quarterly, PlaySlave, Gladiator GQ…that sort of thing. :w00t:

• Like 3

i remember that scene kmt_sesh. it's really strange to imagine like 10 dudes ****ting all in the same spot without even blinking or being shy or prude about it LOL

now, i guess archeologists must go dig inside the toilet to see if someone throw something back then that could be a great artifact.

****ty job but, it's for history

Slightly alarming communal shi**er .... I mean if they was a wooden divider that has not survived perhaps, then ok.....but open plan like that, they must have been a r s e cheek to a r s e cheek sat there....eeeww lol :no:

Edited by Silent Trinity
  • Like 1

Wow... We're really running out of things to discover when toilet seats make the news.

Slightly alarming communal shi**er .... I mean if they was a wooden divider that has not survived perhaps, then ok.....but open plan like that, they must have been a r s e cheek to a r s e cheek sat there....eeeww lol :no:

That's not the actualy toilet. They just used a different image for copyright reasons. Click the BBC link to see the real one.

That's not the actualy toilet. They just used a different image for copyright reasons. Click the BBC link to see the real one.

Ah, well that makes my empathy for the s h i t t i n g situation of the Romans that little easier lol.

Any newspapers found as well?

• Like 1

VIP-TOILET_o_96994.jpg When you gotta go, you gotta go. Edited by ancient astronaut
  • Like 1

We rural ancients know there is no colder wind than the one that blows up out of a privy hole. I shivered just to look at that thing.

• Like 1

The ancient lavatory is a particularly rich source of artifacts

I'm just glad this sentence didn't end after artifacts when I read the article. Haha.

• Like 1

I'm just glad this sentence didn't end after artifacts when I read the article. Haha.

Coprolites! Exciting stuff.

• Like 1