Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Federal judge strikes down ban on polygamy

Socio

http://fox13now.com/2014/08/27/federal-judge-strikes-down-portion-of-utahs-ban-on-polygamy/

SALT LAKE CITY — A federal judge declared a portion of Utah’s polygamy ban unconstitutional late Wednesday, essentially decriminalizing polygamy in the state.

U.S. District Court Judge Clark Waddoups ruled the phrase in the law “‘or cohabits with another person’ is a violation of the Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution and is without a rational basis under the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.”

People were saying from the start that this would happen once gay marriage was passed, next would be polygamy and cascade from there, looks like they were right.

• Like 2

Maybe I am just stupid but..exactly what portion of this polygamy is being struck down?

It pretty much sounds to me like polygamy, overall, is being allowed but abuses will still be prosecuted.

Did I miss something then?

Hey if consenting adults want to marry someone with more then one wife go ahead.

The divorce would be hell of alot of legal work though

• Like 1

Next federal judges will be instituting Sharia Law.

• Like 5

I'm sure the Romney family will be thrilled - no more hiding down in Mexico lol

• Like 1

Well this is great news for rich white men who just want to have a half dozen wives like Joey Smith first intended after he accidentally knocked up his teenage servant and was subsequently informed by God that, sure, now, it is totally ok for him to have multiple wives.

Well this is great news for rich white men who just want to have a half dozen wives like Joey Smith first intended after he accidentally knocked up his teenage servant and was subsequently informed by God that, sure, now, it is totally ok for him to have multiple wives.

Hey god works in mysterious ways you cannot understand...

• Like 1

Hey god works in mysterious ways you cannot understand...

I have always loved the LDSs Doctrine of Continuous Revelation.....because god had a lot to say and not enough time to say it all in....right?

• Like 2

Well..apparently parts of it are already in place here. Look at this link, for example (if you want): http://www.billionbi...sharia-law.html

That is the stupidest bunch of BS I have ever read. If that keeps up we will see beheadings in America. After all that is part of Sharia law.

If that woman doesn't want to check out people with pork then she needs to find another job.

Celebrating a muslim holiday instead of veterans day is a slap in the face of every soldier that ever lost their life or served in a war.

Not to let a woman get a restraining order against her husband because of Sharia law is nuts.

I thought there was suppose to be a separation between church and state or is that only for Christians.

• Like 1

That is the stupidest bunch of BS I have ever read. If that keeps up we will see beheadings in America. After all that is part of Sharia law.

If that woman doesn't want to check out people with pork then she needs to find another job.

Celebrating a muslim holiday instead of veterans day is a slap in the face of every soldier that ever lost their life or served in a war.

Not to let a woman get a restraining order against her husband because of Sharia law is nuts.

I thought there was suppose to be a separation between church and state or is that only for Christians.

Yeah, that was promptly overturned and the husband is now facing charges.

http://www.nj.com/news/jjournal/index.ssf?/base/news-5/1280731209222240.xml

Separation of church and state is for all religions.

Regarding polygamy...

Who cares what consenting adults do?

Hell, if it's legal now maybe there can be better policing. Prosecuting those who force women and children into marriage. At least women and children may be able to come forward without being afraid of being arrested themselves.

I don't care who marries as long as everyone is of age and consents.

Nibs

• Like 2

Does this mean it is now legal to use Urban II Council of Clermont to justify killing Muslims as a part of a Christians religious duties and purification? Because to deny a person their right to kill Muslims could exclude them from heaven.

• Like 1

Ladies...forgive me for what I am about to say but...

Why in the world would you want more than one wife? I have a wife of 25 years and she is more than enough!

• Like 3

Looks like the Slippery Slope DOES exist!! :innocent:

• Like 1

Thanks for the link Nibs, glad that guy is getting his just reward.

I think polygamy is nuts. Most of the time these men take several wives, but only legally marry one and the rest draw welfare. I don't see that changing legal or not. I think most men that have several wives have some sort of god complex and just want a bunch of women to boss around or to support him so he can sit on his lazy butt.

Personally, I wouldn't want more than one husband.... But if other folks want to have that kind of relationship, that's fine by me.

I don't care how many women a man marries, as long as the women agree, and the man of the house supports the families without turning to welfare. However, when the prospective wife is a child who has been coerced and pressured to marry some old billy goat, and they are almost all old billy goats, that's sexual exploitation and abuse that should be ; it's institutionalized pedophilia. Most of these men with multiple wives are old guys who between them have chased out all the younger men who normally would be competition and have created an unnatural environment in which they can thrive by exercising their power & authority over those who have little or non.

As a married man, and father of 2 kids, I think having a second husband around would be the better option. I don't have time to go to work AND do all the home chores that are asked of me. 2nd husband = less chores for me. 2nd wife = MORE chores for me. 2nd husband = more income. 2nd wife = more spending. (Generalities) :innocent:

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

I don't care how many women a man marries, as long as the women agree, and the man of the house supports the families without turning to welfare. However, when the prospective wife is a child who has been coerced and pressured to marry some old billy goat, and they are almost all old billy goats, that's sexual exploitation and abuse that should be ; it's institutionalized pedophilia. Most of these men with multiple wives are old guys who between them have chased out all the younger men who normally would be competition and have created an unnatural environment in which they can thrive by exercising their power & authority over those who have little or non.

My point exactly. Legal marriage between consenting adults doesn't bother me at all but many of these situations where there is force and abuse need to be stopped. From what I understand, many of the children and women that are trapped in this feel that the "outside" will prosecute them so they feel that they have no place to run. Prior to spousal abuse becoming illegal many women in a traditional marriage lived in fear and resignation.

Dragging these things into the light of day and giving protection and aid will go a long way in helping these women and children. In my opinion of course.

Nibs