Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Militant God Botherers

bigjim36

I used to respect other peoples religious beliefs and live and let live. However I'm now getting seriously annoyed at the amount of believers who constantly try and condemn everyone who doesn't agree with them. I don't believe in god, I don't see how worshipping a 2000 year old dead Jew is going to save my soul. I'm not going to hell because it doesn't exist. If we can find habitable planets outside our own solar system then surely we would've found heaven and hell? The fact that these people only have a book written by several men thousands of years ago as proof of their beliefs is staggering. Imagine if we applied that to everything?! We'd still be treppaning epileptics or exorcising people with tourettes! Anyone with eczema would need to wear a bell and live in a colony. We've moved on. We proven and disproven billions of theories. Accept that there is no god and maybe we will be able to live in peace.

• Like 8

What happened to respecting views of others? You go eye for an eye if someone disrespects your view?

• Like 2

I call for a ban on Godpsychotics being allowed to travel off world. LOL!

Let them stay here and pray for a whirlwind to take them into outer space instead of using science.

• Like 1

Whilst I do not believe in hell, I did laugh at the idea that if heaven and hell existed we would have found them now.

Heaven: straight ahead. Hell: next five exits.

An unimpressive argument for an atheist.

• Like 3

Jim, can you define "militant God botherers?" It seems one or more of them really torqued you off. What did they do?

I feel very similar to the OP but with some slight differences. I don't care what people want to believe in. I really don't. So long as they don't get too serious with it. It's okay and in someways healthy to have faith in something beyond yourself. No problem. It's when you get bible thumper's and westboro types along with other fanatic branches of various religions that really put a damper of just being left alone.

• Like 5

I feel very similar to the OP but with some slight differences. I don't care what people want to believe in. I really don't. So long as they don't get too serious with it. It's okay and in someways healthy to have faith in something beyond yourself. No problem. It's when you get bible thumper's and westboro types along with other fanatic branches of various religions that really put a damper of just being left alone.

I bet a lot of people dont like noisy and pushy people either, no matter their agenda.

• Like 7

What happened to respecting views of others? You go eye for an eye if someone disrespects your view?

Not at all, I'm only responding in kind.

Whilst I do not believe in hell, I did laugh at the idea that if heaven and hell existed we would have found them now.

Heaven: straight ahead. Hell: next five exits.

I was merely pointing out that that's where the bible and the church say they are and as the whole point of my op was about them using a 2000 year old book as literal proof of god then it's either all true or it's not. Can't have it both ways. So how is it unimpressive?

An unimpressive argument for an atheist.

Jim, can you define "militant God botherers?" It seems one or more of them really torqued you off. What did they do?

It's been a culmination of things really, a video on fb of a preacher arguing with a girl that sinners will go to hell and a fire and damnation preacher I saw who was telling us all to repent or burn forever. Pretty much everything was a sin according to him.

• Like 2

Pretty much everything was a sin according to him.

People like that tend to have a personal life that would make the devil blush with embarrassment.

• Like 5

They do indeed Xenofish. The thing with the video was the amount of people commenting on it saying about how you can't sugarcoat the truth, god will punish those. who don't accept him etc etc etc.

My question is why does God care? If you think about it on a cosmic scale were just a fart in the wind. Any God (if one being real) wouldn't be concerned with mortal issues. Seems all that is just human creation, putting a face and name onto the unknown. I've always wondered why God seemed so human. The treat of punishment and promise of reward is a good way to get people to do what you want. Especially if it's based on fear of the unknown.

• Like 2

Exactly. A man made concept to control the poor masses but now people are more educated than ever and church numbers are dwindling, they need to do something to boost their obscene wealth before they go below £100 billion!

• Like 1

That is an interesting things. The money a lot of church's and evangelist obtain for what really? What exactly do they do that's so important? Instead of spreading the word, why not help people. Take that money and do some good with it instead of building a bigger church or fund insanity. You could fund research, help the community, help the homeless get their lives going again. Build shelters for less than fortunate families, etc. I mean isn't that why their supposed to do?

Edited by XenoFish

Street Preacher shows why Atheists reject God.

• Like 1

It's exactly what they're supposed to do XenoFish, the Vatican could end world hunger and poverty in one go. But then what would it do without the poor giving their last pennies in order to gain entry into heaven?

• Like 2

Ah but the bible says it does exist and they need no further proof. All of their answers were written millenia ago by men who were in conversation with god, why anyone could doubt that is beyond me! Haha

This is worth the listen...

How many of those men would have been institutionalized with a mental disorder? Then again if you speak ill of a prophet the wraith of God falls upon you. LOL

It's exactly what they're supposed to do XenoFish, the Vatican could end world hunger and poverty in one go. But then what would it do without the poor giving their last pennies in order to gain entry into heaven?

I hear this kind of thing all the time, fact is it is a complete falsehood. So the Vatican can just sell all it's riches and save the world from poverty?

Who exactly are they going to sell their priceless artifacts to? A museum? Hello, they are "priceless". No, the vatican has an opposing problem. It is actually very expensive to preserve the ancients sites and buildings that they own. Ok, maybe they shouldn't spend money on that. Again, who will thank them for neglecting the rich history of humanity by letting it fall into decay? I know you won't care, but there is a world full of people who will, the church is the people and it's affiliations are broad. Archeology and anthropology are just two sciences that would be up in arms about the neglect of world heritage sites. The vatican belongs to the people, not one person, or group who have any right to break it up or sell it off in any way shape or form.

As to providing to charity and helping the homeless, the list of christian charities and missionary works to help fight poverty, homelessness and illness is endless. Are you seriously claiming there are no christian charities doing good in the world? There are no catholic funded or assisted hospitals? Check out the names of a few hospitals and come back to me about where their origins lie. I'll give you a hint, try names of Saints. Like Saint Mary, Saint John's Ambulance etc, and who do think the Salvation Army is run by?

• Like 4

People do not need myths to tell them to help other people because we have built in empathy through evolution.

The Church spreads dogma like a virus and infects the minds of children.The Church has been more of a barrier to Man's progress than inovator.The Church is rich with fairy tale related relics that serve no purpose except hold them in power.

The world can be a much better place for all, but many things need to be let go.

• Like 1

Viewpoints should be respected if there exists enough evidence to demonstrate that they're not completely wacko. The evidence doesn't need to be strong enough to prove them true, just strong enough to show that they might be right.

There is just barely enough to suggest that a man named Jesus MIGHT have existed. That is enough to respect the story. But there isn't anything to demonstrate that he had magic powers. In fact, there is evidence from the Bible and other ancient writings, that Jesus' divinity was a story that grew with the telling for nearly 300 years. That part of the story is not respectable. The only real way to respect belief is an uncompromising dedication to Truth. It is those who choose to promulgate myth as truth who are disrespectful.

Doug

• Like 1

People do not need myths to tell them to help other people because we have built in empathy through evolution.

The thing you have wrong here is the bit about "need". No people do not need myths to feel empathy. People who believe in God however, are just the same as those who don't, what they do is use their empathy within their faith to help others - the point is that the churches are not any different from the secular world. There is the good, the bad and the ugly because that is what exists in the human condition. What is relevant to the discussion though, in terms of the churches (and the Vatican aka: Catholic church got a specific mention) is that villification because they have riches comes so easy to those outside of the faith, yet when an individual creates a corporation or riches of their own, it is revered.

The history of the churches is the history of individuals who built something lasting, it contains all the empathy and love humanity can give just as much as any secular civilization would have done. You either believe in God or you don't, there is no reason for that to cause opposition and division, yet hypocrasy also seems to be a part of human evolution because non-believers have no problem villifying believers using the same egoic tools of "superiority" they claim are the problem of belief.

The Church spreads dogma like a virus and infects the minds of children.The Church has been more of a barrier to Man's progress than inovator.The Church is rich with fairy tale related relics that serve no purpose except hold them in power.

The world can be a much better place for all, but many things need to be let go.

Anything we teach children, infects children - ANYTHING. The archives of civilization are as much held in the churches as anywhere in the world. The architecture and artistic creativity alone are the rival of many civilizations and some of the greatest original innovations that have led to civilizations came to be through church sponsorship of education and the sciences, go ahead and belittle that as though it "weren't no thing" too.

• Like 3