Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman,127, becomes world's 'oldest person'

Still Waters

Studies have shown that living with excellent medical attention, but just on the edge of starvation, provides a much longer lifespan. So far no one in these studies has lived over 100, but that is because the studies haven't been around too very long. But in mice, the staving mice can live up to 150% of their normal lifespan.

Personally I'd rather eat what I want and live to 100% then eat basically nothing and feel horrible all the time and have digestive problems, but live to 140. It is kind of a "what's the point" kind of thing.....

Close. The oldest human to have ever lived was Methuselah at 969 years. He died and the deluge occurred seven days later. After God caused the protective barrier of moisture to collapse onto to us the mechanism for regulating the earth's temperature keeping the entire earth at about 72 degrees was gone and so was our protection from harmful rays of the sun which over time have limited us to normally under 100 years of age.

technically in the bible Jesus never died since he was resurrected so he would be the oldest.

Edited by fawkes2

Adam from the Bible was the oldest person in recorded history since he lived over 900 years!.

En-men-lu-ana lived for over 43,000 years
  • Like 1

obvious troll ;)

I imagined a teenage girl chewing gum similar to a horse eating hay with a voice like Fran Drescher going "Whaaaaaaaaaat?!?"

• Like 1

This article is nonsense! It is common knowledge that the people mentioned in the Bible (before the Flood) often lived hundreds of years, even 1000 years of age was common.

I love the use of the word "nonsense" right before quoting the Bible as historical record. Hilarious.

• Like 1

I love the use of the word "nonsense" right before quoting the Bible as historical record. Hilarious.

You're blind to scripture. Of course you don't understand it.

LOL you don't know anything about me. I think if you go look through my older posts here you'll find I know a helluva lot about scripture. Both the Hebrew mythos and the Christian. I was raised on it and have studied it on and off for decades. Once again the ironic use of a word. In this case "blind". Hahaha

LOL you don't know anything about me. I think if you go look through my older posts here you'll find I know a helluva lot about scripture. Both the Hebrew mythos and the Christian. I was raised on it and have studied it on and off for decades. Once again the ironic use of a word. In this case "blind". Hahaha

If you've studied it, you haven't understood it as to mock Ashyne. There's nothing nonsensical about scripture like your prior post implies.

• Like 1

If you've studied it, you haven't understood it as to mock Ashyne. There's nothing nonsensical about scripture like your prior post implies.

If you want me to take you seriously then you have to be willing to do the same. Telling me I don't understand something is just a flippant insult and will be treated accordingly.

To reply to your idea of "understanding" scripture. There are two ways to approach this. Seeking to understand what scripture is telling me, both historically and spiritually though an intellectual pursuit, and simply believing everything that is written as a cold hard fact.

I'll give you one of my favorite examples. Matthew 19:24. "... I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God."

A logical person would conclude that it is impossible to put a camel through the eye of a needle of course. But a needle was also the name of an opening in the side wall of a city. It was roughly the height of a man and about two shoulder widths wide.

That small fact completely changes the entire meaning. Now we see that I CAN get a camel through there but I first have to unload all of it's worldly possessions and lead it through very slowly and gently on it's knees. An uncomfortable thing to do for camels. But it doesn't defy the laws of physics.

I don't mock scripture. I take it very seriously in many, many ways. But you have to study it with the understanding that it was written by people who lived very differently, a looong time ago. And it's been translated and modified through the ages. The study of it takes a lifetime and it's not a weapon you should use too often to support your myopic point of view. There are those of us who will turn it back on you and bite you in the ass with it.

Edited by Calibeliever

If you want me to take you seriously then you have to be willing to do the same.

You stated, and I quote: "I love the use of the word "nonsense" right before quoting the Bible as historical record. Hilarious". You realize this implies you believe the Bible is nonsense don't you? Which is fine, but it's not factual that the Bible is nonsense, just opinion. So please don't present your opinion as if it were 100% factual. Thank you.

Telling me I don't understand something is just a flippant insult and will be treated accordingly.

To understand the Bible means you've studied it in it's entirety, meaning you understand all scriptures. I humbly believe that if you understood the Bible, you wouldn't imply it was nonsense. Better yet, if you understand the Word, please, prove it. :)

To reply to your idea of "understanding" scripture. There are two ways to approach this. Seeking to understand what scripture is telling me, both historically and spiritually though an intellectual pursuit, and simply believing everything that is written as a cold hard fact.

1st Corinthians 2:10 states that it is God's Holy Spirit that reveals to us the deep things of the Word. The Truth behind each scripture is literally revealed to us by God Himself. This is what the Bible teaches and what I believe. No need, necessarily, to go on an intellectual and/or historical pursuit when the Lord will simply teach you through His Spirit, as long as we study and search with all of our heart. ~ Deuteronomy 4:29

I encourage you to keep studying, my friend. Search with all your heart.

I'll give you one of my favorite examples. Matthew 19:24. "... I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God". A logical person would conclude that it is impossible to put a camel through the eye of a needle of course. But a needle was also the name of an opening in the side wall of a city. It was roughly the height of a man and about two shoulder widths wide.

That is correct. A brilliant piece of information and great sermon material, with the parallels of coming to God on our knees without all our baggage.

That small fact completely changes the entire meaning. Now we see that I CAN get a camel through there but I first have to unload all of it's worldly possessions and lead it through very slowly and gently on it's knees. An uncomfortable thing to do for camels. But it doesn't defy the laws of physics.

True, but your original post still seems to imply you think the Word of God is nonsensical.

I don't mock scripture. I take it very seriously in many, many ways. But you have to study it with the understanding that it was written by people who lived very differently, a looong time ago.

I believe it was written by the Holy Spirit through a number of different people, as it teaches. ~ 2nd Timothy 3:16, 2nd Peter 1:20-21, John 14:25-26

And it's been translated and modified through the ages.

It's been translated from language to language for all peoples to understand. Never modified to the point that we don't truly understand it today, for I believe God's Spirit wouldn't permit that to happen. Plus, Born-Again Believer's understand the Bible just fine, for we have God's Spirit operating within us, along with the Lord revealing His Word.

The study of it takes a lifetime and it's not a weapon you should use too often to support your myopic point of view.

Believe me, the Lord isn't short-sighted in regards His own Word, nor am I.

There are those of us who will turn it back on you and bite you in the ass with it.

Such as? The only people that came to mind are Catholic's, but they follow a False Christianity anyway I believe. I believe Catholicism is the religion of the Anti-Christ.

Other than those and maybe Mormon's, no one else comes to mind.

You and I are so far apart and this isn't the forum. Believe it or not I wasn't so different from you a long time ago. But today I seek knowledge not believe. Knowledge can be changed with new evidence. Belief is static and will ignore evidence to protect itself. You actually have the stones to claim to know what God thinks. Unbelievable. You have a lot of quick responses but they feel rehearsed.

BTW, since you brought it up what's your beef with Catholics and Mormons? Don't they have the right to be just as sure as you that they have it figured out?

No my friend I'm pretty sure it's you that doesn't understand scripture. I think your head has been filled up so much that nothing new can get in. Sad.

Cheers

You and I are so far apart and this isn't the forum. Believe it or not I wasn't so different from you a long time ago. But today I seek knowledge not believe. Knowledge can be changed with new evidence. Belief is static and will ignore evidence to protect itself. You actually have the stones to claim to know what God thinks. Unbelievable. You have a lot of quick responses but they feel rehearsed.

Huh? I have the stones? I'm entitled to believe God is real, and the Bible, His so-taught inspired Word teaches what is to come and what His people are to do.

BTW, since you brought it up what's your beef with Catholics and Mormons?

Catholicism is a sinful religion whose follower's masquerade as true follower's of Jesus. Catholicism was supposedly based on the fundamental teachings and principles of Jesus Christ. It's roots begin instead, from Paganism and Babylonian doctrine. I believe Pope Benedict the 16th is also guilty of the unforgivable sin, which is blasphemy and I can prove this.

Don't they have the right to be just as sure as you that they have it figured out?

What makes you think they've got it figured out?

Mormon's, if I recall, teach something slightly different to what the Word teaches although they claim to follow Jesus unless I'm mistaken. I don't know very much on them at all and have no real "beef" with them.

No my friend I'm pretty sure it's you that doesn't understand scripture. I think your head has been filled up so much that nothing new can get in. Sad.

I believe I understand scripture just fine. It's God's Word not ours. Haughtiness has found it's way into your heart it would seem, and you still haven't proven you weren't mocking the Bible from the start. But you're right in that this isn't the place.

Edit: Toodles.

Edited by Insaniac

While you're blind to everything else. The genesis creation account is a myth, it's wrong. Edited by Rlyeh

Why does almost every "old" person have either no or lost their birth certificate?

• Like 1

While you're blind to everything else. The genesis creation account is a myth, it's wrong.

lmao

Why don't you start a thread proving it's a myth?

lmao

Why don't you start a thread proving it's a myth?

Shall I also make a thread to prove the earth orbits the sun? I wouldn't want to destroy your delusion.

I come from a line of people that live into their high 90's and none of them ever smoked or drank alcohol.

Shall I also make a thread to prove the earth orbits the sun? I wouldn't want to destroy your delusion.

Where is the guarantee that the Earth orbits the Sun?

This title changes hands so often. I feel a wwe style royal rumble is in order.

It is also common knowledge that the Sun orbits the Earth. If you look up into the sky, you always only see the Sun moving, but never the Earth. This alone proves this and makes it fact.

• Like 1

It is also common knowledge that the Sun orbits the Earth. If you look up into the sky, you always only see the Sun moving, but never the Earth. This alone proves this and makes it fact.

Maybe not in make believe land, but in reality stellar parallax is the observation of stars moving against the background as the earth follows it's orbit.

Maybe not in make believe land, but in reality stellar parallax is the observation of stars moving against the background as the earth follows it's orbit.

If I haven't misunderstood, stellar parallax makes little sense as it is taught. Apparently, it's the observation of star's moving across the background, but the thing is, if one is to believe it's the Earth that is moving, those star's aren't really moving it all. Seems to render the observation redundant and pointless...

It's like sitting on one of those 'Moving Teacup' rides as it is in motion, but claiming everything around you is moving.

Truth is I believe, that the Sun rotates around the Earth. Like Ashyne mentioned, you only ever see the sun shift places. Hence the Sun rise's and the Sun sets.