Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Queensland sees spike in UFO sightings

UM-Bot

I'm below Qld. on the coast ... I have only seen one UFO there (because I could not identify it ... and I know most of the optic aberrations).

The weirdest most real thing I have ever seen. The only other person who saw it was ... of all people ... a guy that runs a wacky UFO website :td:

Anyway it was weird and very distinctive. It wasnt to years and years later ( early this year) that I saw it again ... the same one ! I'd know it anywhere.

http://www.theaustra...-1226990677299#

Guess where I saw it ?

http://www.theaustra...6-1226990677299

(ha ha! I am having trouble putting a picture up ! ) ... nah still ... okay, try this

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=britains+stealth+drone&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=j28FVNaHKse5uASl6ILgCA&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1242&bih=577

Trouble is I saw it about 7 years before it was supposed to have been tested in the 'Australian desert' ... also some stories seemed to be confused about 'tested in Australia' and 'developed in Australia by the British',

It was coming in from high altitude and sort of gliding (like the space shuttle used to, nose up) and taking a line to the SSE .... after I read the news article I checked to see what was in that direction :

http://en.wikipedia....lliamtown#Units

Released in 2014 ... yeah .... right !

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 1

I might take the time to contact the guy being interviewed to get more information on the footage/stills. As said earlier, without some specifics there's no way to properly investigate these. I'm a bit busy at the mo, but will try to get onto it later in the week.

In the meantime, I will simply observe that.. here I am, with my nice camera and tele lens at my side as I go out walking each evening, under the mostly clear skies at the moment, and all I see are choppers, airliners, light planes, the odd military plane, stars, planets, satellites. The RC club has gone quiet lately, but there is someone about a block away who has some sort of remote control ufo drone thingy - I've spotted it a couple of times. I'll even admit I'm looking hard at eBay at the moment, as I want one too!!!

I guess these aliens have the old Thunderbirds-type camera detectors, and keep well away from folks like me...

But then I'm a Man-In-Black so I would say that.. BTW, the reptilians pay really well, I gotta say.. :D

• Like 2

Look out P. Those little grey buggers might give you a probe job. :lol:

• Like 1

LOL, they would not be game taking their lives into their hands so readily. Ever heard the very cool story of General Curtis Le May?

Life Magazine reporter Ernest Havemann related that LeMay once took the co-pilot's seat of a SAC bomber to observe the mission, complete with lit cigar. When asked by the pilot to put the cigar out, LeMay demanded to know why. When the pilot explained that fumes inside the fuselage could ignite the airplane, LeMay reportedly growled, "It wouldn't dare."

They wouldn't dare.

• Like 1

Skinny Bob isn't like that..... <_<

Neither is his brother Skinny Bruce....

• Like 2

I've never met someone called Bruce who was skinny,,,

haha...

well we have Bruce Forsyth...and he's pretty skinny...

But he's not an Extraterrestrial...(at least I don't think so.... :unsure2: )...or Australian...

• Like 2

While I await responses..... A few comments - that still image looks very odd to me - the pixellation just looks unlike a 'normal' enlarged digital camera image - I won't explain precisely why just yet, awaiting on some context and provenance...

Also, as a non-facebooker, I'm very disappointed to note that it appears instead of updating their Qld UFO site here:

http://www.uforq.asn.au/

.. which has a reporting page, except it stops in 2012...

they use Facebook now. So to dig I'll have to wade through lots of omg and fanboi and copycat posts, and then who knows if the original images are available, let alone proper documentation..

Oh well, I shouldn't be a defeatist.. I've politely emailed Gottschall and Pezzimento to see if they have any more info, or the sightings are better documented somewhere.

I'll let you know what transpires.. If anyone is more facebook-forgiving than me, please feel free to tell us if you find some useful info and/or original imagery at their page - I gather it's called "Brisbane UFO Sightings" ..

BTW, I'm highly tempted to go to the "Paranormal Awareness Community Skywatch" event on Monday, but I wonder if they will want me there ... what with my binoculars and big fancypants camera and my annoying predilection for explaining things... :D I'd be carrying my printout from Heaven's Above, showing all the predictions for naked eye satellites for that evening. I note that from that location the ISS will make a showing (although it will be a little before the official starting time for the event...), along with one of the NOSS triplets (three satellites moving together), and that there will be at least 16 (yes 16) naked eye visible satellites passing through the skies near Petrie/Dayboro between 6:45pm and 8:30, after which the Sun is just too far down to illuminate them...

It may sound crazy to suggest that you will see 16 satellites or more in a single evening's viewing, not to mention aircraft, but for those who stargaze in the country, they will know it is true. That's the problem with this sort of event - the vast majority of these folks will have never done anything like it before, so they will first be amazed at how many stars are up there when you are viewing from a non-light polluted location, and just how many satellites go overhead if you are actually looking for them... assuming it's a clear night of course!

For reference, here's a shot I took recently from a similar location in the remoter outer suburbs of Brisbane:

gallery_95887_40_19548.jpg

- that bright streak is an Iridium communications satellite that caught the Sun (which had set for me about an hour earlier) on it's large solar panels, just near the Southern Cross (Crux). It was an amazing sight to the naked eye - way brighter than Venus...

If I was an evil person, I would be tempted to innocently suggest a particular location and time for the next event, so that they saw one of these... The ISS is pretty dang impressive, but Iridium flares are better!

• Like 2

haha...

well we have Bruce Forsyth...and he's pretty skinny...

But he's not an Extraterrestrial...(at least I don't think so.... :unsure2: )...or Australian...

Don't forget Bruce Almighty.post-103357-0-50375300-1409870764_thumb.

• Like 1

I got a reply to my email.... it's a dead end.. Does anyone have a source for where those images originated, as it wasn't UFORQ - they simply grabbed them from elsewhere.

To paraphrase the content of the polite email I received, it said basically this:

They are a volunteer group, are constructing a new website, and they agree that posting on Facebook is far from ideal.

They didn't get any other details of those images or the originals, simply grabbed them for use as part of their campaign to 'bring awareness' about Qld UFO's..

They get about 12 sightings a month.

They complain that they often don't get much detail in the reports and they discuss them at monthly meetings.

The reports usually 'aren't suitable for serious research' in their opinion.

They thought the recent Childers sighting might be an exception.

So I went to take a look at what that was, and it seems to consist of a few wobbly unresolved over-enlarged blobs that could be anything, taken on a camera phone handheld. The images were shown to an astronomer and he found nothing that wasn't explainable as a star / streetlight / whatever. Sigh.

I have replied to the email, saying (with a few edits for brevity):

Thanks for your reply - that is helpful, but I have to observe that the way these things are dealt with, leaves an enormous amount to be desired.. While I understand that you may be volunteers, you do have access via the Interwebz to a wide range of folks with various skills, and if you bounced some of these stories into forums like "Unexplained Mysteries", or even astronomy forums like IceInSpace, or Cosmoquest / Bad Astronomy, you would get the sort of feedback that is needed to weed out the rubbish from anything decent. And frankly, if there is limited photography/videography/photogrammetry/astronomy experience in your ranks, you *really* need to address that if you wish to be taken seriously.

I took a look at the Childers report, and found one awful, horribly over-enlarged image, few technical details and almost no information that would help to eliminate the obvious, namely camera shake or the location of a bright star relative to her location and the direction she had the camera pointed. Did you/anyone ask her to take a similar photo of a distant streetlight, or a *known* star or to post the original image inc exif, or how to include background objects for reference, or how to take a movie instead? Can you see how all that missing info and just a little bit of followup would help? At least the opinion of an astronomer was included, so that was good..

....*

Anyway, sorry for venting, but ufology has a *really* bad name and it doesn't need to... I'd like to help, and while I am not offering my services directly to your organisation, why don't you try posting your sightings at UM and then I and others, some of whom are much better at this than me (eg pericynthion..) will chime in and help. Or if you find something *really* good and well-documented, feel free to send me an email..

'Bringing awareness' to a public that increasingly spends less and less time outdoors and doesn't bother knowing their night sky, and is often equipped with nothing on them except an abysmal phone camera that is completely and utterly unsuitable for night photography, is simply a way of gathering more useless sightings from uneducated people or trolls. If, instead, you chose to educate people about how to do this sort of stuff *properly* and to spend time outside at night identifying stars, planets, satellites, aircraft etc, then maybe you might be onto something..

As it is - well, good luck with that Childers one...

Perhaps I was impolite, but really..... do they want more quantity, or just one or two with *quality* for a change?

*PS - where that asterisk is, I took them to task for posting a VERY misleading article on their website - as it has nothing to do with this thread I shall leave that out. Suffice to say the fact that they posted information known to be false, was a little disappointing..

If it's something wierd or unusual, it belongs in Queensland.