Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

IS behead US hostage Steven Sotloff

seeder

Steven Sotloff: Islamic State 'kills US hostage'

An Islamic State video has appeared which purports to show the beheading of Steven Sotloff, a US journalist being held hostage by the militants.

Mr Sotloff, 31, disappeared in Syria in 2013. He appeared at the end of a video last month which showed fellow US journalist James Foley being killed.

A militant in the video also threatens to kill a hostage said to be British.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-29038217

Barstards

• Like 3

ISIS is evi incarnate.

I just posted on the thread about ISIS threatening to attack the US domestically via terrorism. We need to take them very seriously.

• Like 4

ISIS is evi incarnate.

I just posted on the thread about ISIS threatening to attack the US domestically via terrorism. We need to take them very seriously.

We need to get in there and take them on....but oh wait, Obama hasn't got a strategy yet. What? I do hope our special forces find out where they have the other hostages soon and can rescue them while seriously shooting up some IS in the process

Wonder what the UK will do if the Brit hostage is next?

ggrr

Edited by seeder
  • Like 2

We need to get in there and take them on....but oh wait, Obama hasn't got a strategy yet. What? I do hope our special forces find out where they have the other hostages soon and can rescue them while seriously shooting up some IS in the process

Wonder what the UK will do if the Brit hostage is next?

ggrr

Well if America goes in, thats the death of America

God rest his murdered soul, it is a pity that people feel they need to resort to despicably barbaric acts to project their political message.

Because, strangely, it seems the weight and value of what they have to say is unimportant that it can only be increased by an act of medieval cruelty.

• Like 3

RIP Steven Sotloff...

If I were advising the Obama Administration...I would say...stop squabbling with Russia and join forces to concentrate on

the real enemy.

• Like 6

God rest his murdered soul, it is a pity that people feel they need to resort to despicably barbaric acts to project their political message.

Because, strangely, it seems the weight and value of what they have to say is unimportant that it can only be increased by an act of medieval cruelty.

Maybe so but it is still a very effective tactic. Because of this, you will see Americans turn on America to support the terrorists. The same will occur in Britain, France, etc., etc. With this division, no unified response can be made.

• Like 2

Well, they will if everyone continues to be in awe of them as a great unstoppable almost supernatural force. If everyone regarded them as the disorganised bunch of militarily inept thugs these great "terrorist armies" always are, governments might be prepared to stand up to them.

• Like 1

Yes, it is beyond sickening as to what extent ISIS/ISIL will go.

They need to be stopped, by all means necessary.

What they don't "get", likely because they are total psychos, is that their actions of beheadings and such do NOT scare the U.S. at all.

It inflames us.

They are in for a serious spanking after this recent beheading, and if they do it to the Brit, they will get even more spanking.

Hopefully to destruction.

• Like 2

Such as carefully referring to them by whatever self-aggrandising name they've decided to give themselves this week. if we just called them "the bunch of thugs led by that self-appointed thug", even if might take a bit longer to type, it might help to puncture their mystique a bit.

• Like 1

If ISIS barbaric tactics is all it takes for them to turn on America then they weren't real Americans to begin with. Fighting on the side of someone that would attack America constitutes treason in my book.

I'm sure the Brit will be next, probably within two weeks.

RIP Steven

• Like 1

RIP Steven Sotloff...

If I were advising the Obama Administration...I would say...stop squabbling with Russia and join forces to concentrate on

the real enemy.

RIP indeed. problem is Bee, the US dont want to support Assad in Syria....as they also want him gone. They think if they bomb the IS main base in Syria, that Assad will benefit as the IS are fighting him too

Thats the crunch

• Like 2

Yes, it is beyond sickening as to what extent ISIS/ISIL will go.

They need to be stopped, by all means necessary.

What they don't "get", likely because they are total psychos, is that their actions of beheadings and such do NOT scare the U.S. at all.

It inflames us.

They are in for a serious spanking after this recent beheading, and if they do it to the Brit, they will get even more spanking.

Hopefully to destruction.

They are kidding themselves if they think killing Americans will cause us to back off. Other countries should join in on defeating them. They have fighter jets and bombs too.
  • Like 1

The problem is that what Obama might want, and what the Neocons, the real power behind the US govt., want, is often two quite contradictory things. Hence the pushing to take up arms against Assad, since having Syria under US control was a crucial part of the Necon strategy, and they didn't care who they used if they thought it might help them get their goal. Now we're seeing it again, where the conservative media is trying to trying to contrive a way to imply that Assad is in some way encouraging Al Bagdadi's bunch of thugs, to give them an excuse to take out both of them at one go.

But I may be straying into conspiracy territory again.

• Like 2

If ISIS barbaric tactics is all it takes for them to turn on America then they weren't real Americans to begin with. Fighting on the side of someone that would attack America constitutes treason in my book.

I'm sure the Brit will be next, probably within two weeks.

RIP Steven

To be sure, we will launch some form of limited but powerful military retribution for the recent American's beheading.

This will, of course, likely result in the beheading of the Brit.

Very unfortunate to be sure(unless he can be rescued) but U.S. retaliation must be done, and I'm sure it's already in the works as we speak.

• Like 1

RIP indeed. problem is Bee, the US dont want to support Assad in Syria....as they also want him gone. They think if they bomb the IS main base in Syria, that Assad will benefit as the IS are fighting him too

Thats the crunch

I take your point....

but I think the US and potential allies will have to get real about that at some point, swallow their pride

and understand that the 'IS' is the main threat and not Assad....

time for the West to stop making ridiculous and dangerous military mistakes....

ie. Iraq, Libya, Syria....

'we' have to get this one right because we can't afford not to....

• Like 1

'we' have to get this one right because we can't afford not to....

nuke the site from orbit.

it's the only way to be sure.

Edited by shrooma
  • Like 1

ISIS is evi incarnate.

I wonder if Oabama is wishing he could take back that "JV team" line he used in January.

The analogy we use around here sometimes, and I think is accurate, is if a JV team puts on Lakers uniforms, that doesn’t make them Kobe Bryant.
I think there is a distinction between the capacity and reach of a bin Laden and a network that is actively planning major terrorist plots against the homeland versus jihadists who are engaged in various local power struggles and disputes, often sectarian.”

Maybe so but it is still a very effective tactic. Because of this, you will see Americans turn on America to support the terrorists. The same will occur in Britain, France, etc., etc. With this division, no unified response can be made.

Americans like to respond with bombs rather than reason.

Giving us a reason to bomb your cause = very smart for supporting your cause.

Why would any American journalist want to go over there. That question puts a big damper on the sympathy I feel for these guys. If you want to go for a night dive with your camera amongst great white sharks then expect to get eaten.

• Like 2

I wonder if Oabama is wishing he could take back that "JV team" line he used in January.

The analogy we use around here sometimes, and I think is accurate, is if a JV team puts on Lakers uniforms, that doesn’t make them Kobe Bryant.
I think there is a distinction between the capacity and reach of a bin Laden and a network that is actively planning major terrorist plots against the homeland versus jihadists who are engaged in various local power struggles and disputes, often sectarian.”

Does he mean they're a bunch of thugs rather than a great unstoppable, almost supernatural force? He may be right. People seem almost to be thinking that beheading a journalist they kidnapped proves that they are a great unstoppable army, and so it's futile trying to resist them. This seems to rather be doing just what old Al-Bagdadi would like.

Edited by Admiral Rhubarb
  • Like 2

Americans like to respond with bombs rather than reason.

Giving us a reason to bomb your cause = very smart for supporting your cause.

As we all know, it is impossible to "reason" with well-armed, well-manned, and well-funded militant thugs that have psycho-ideology.

The only option is to take them out.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 3

it is never said (that I know of)...but I presume poor Steven Sotloff and James Foley were made to wear those orange suits

because of the suits the prisoners in Guantanamo Bay wear...???

:cry: