Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Missing Libyan planes, fears of terror attack

seeder

FEARS have been raised that Islamic militants have seized a dozen commercial aircraft in an attack on a Libyan airport last week.

Now, according to a report, intelligence agencies are warning the jets could be used in 9/11-style attacks.

“There are a number of commercial airliners in Libya that are missing,” one official told The Washington Free Beacon this morning.

“We found out on September 11 what can happen with hijacked planes.”

The report said intelligence reports distributed within the US government over the past few weeks have detailed the types of aircraft believed seized. Several have the size and range to reach deep into Europe and Africa.

The Beacon reports the analysts as issuing a specific warning — that one or more of the aircraft could be used in an attack on the date marking the anniversary of the September 11, 2001, attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon in the United States.

http://www.news.com.au/world/africa/missing-jetliners-raise-fear-of-new-911style-attacks-after-libyan-airport-falls-to-islamic-militants/story-fnh81gzi-1227046071700

• Like 1

Hu? known terrorists have ran Lybia since they took over. They fly al CIA das flags over there government buildings. Guess Gaddafi's rule wasnt so horrible after all. But hey at least there is a IMF bank there now. Thank God for that much.

Edited by preacherman76
  • Like 5

I am afraid that we will have the same situation in all region ( Syria, Iraq and God knows where not if those terrorists are not stopped ).

• Like 1

Hmmmm......

This report is carried widely, HOWEVER.... it is all linked back to ONE source ... the Washington Free-Beacon. And the Washington Free Beacon does not cite any source, other than "un-named" government "officials".

No official government spokesperson has come forward and confirmed this story.

Methinks this is a hoax.

• Like 5

Perhaps the title ought to be changed, since it rather suggests another MH370 type scenario, when in fact in all sounds distinctly fishy.

Weeell..... it could be both.

So far as I know, there is no central world registry of which companies own what (civilian) aircraft, or where aircraft are stored.

The story relates to two Libyan companies who own the "missing" aircraft. But the aircraft may not even be missing. With all the confusion in Libya, the owning company officials may not even be able to go to the airport and simply check what is there. If their head office is in the rebel zone, they may not even have access to their own records, and key staff may be missing and/or incommunicado.

I think the terrorist angle is... well.... over-stated. Recall that the 9/11 bombers where incapable of taking off or landing, merely guiding the aircraft through basic navigational maneuvers once airborne. So even if the Libyan Jihadists HAD captured one or more passenger aircraft a few days ago, what - with only 2 weeks before 11th September - could they actually DO with them ?

I appreciate the security services will want to be SURE; they can't afford the luxury of guesses and crossed-fingers. So they have to investigate, and perhaps give advanced warning to the relevant government committee's

Weeell..... it could be both.

So far as I know, there is no central world registry of which companies own what (civilian) aircraft, or where aircraft are stored.

The story relates to two Libyan companies who own the "missing" aircraft. But the aircraft may not even be missing. With all the confusion in Libya, the owning company officials may not even be able to go to the airport and simply check what is there. If their head office is in the rebel zone, they may not even have access to their own records, and key staff may be missing and/or incommunicado.

I think the terrorist angle is... well.... over-stated. Recall that the 9/11 bombers where incapable of taking off or landing, merely guiding the aircraft through basic navigational maneuvers once airborne. So even if the Libyan Jihadists HAD captured one or more passenger aircraft a few days ago, what - with only 2 weeks before 11th September - could they actually DO with them ?

I appreciate the security services will want to be SURE; they can't afford the luxury of guesses and crossed-fingers. So they have to investigate, and perhaps give advanced warning to the relevant government committee's

Well, this is a pretty good source for what commercial airliners are owned by whom and if no longer in service, what happened to them or here they are now. Assuming we're talking about Libyan Airlines, this is the current fleet. Edited by Admiral Rhubarb

I think that the issue is reasonably credible.

How those planes will be used is, of course, up to speculation at this point.

I am afraid that we will have the same situation in all region ( Syria, Iraq and God knows where not if those terrorists are not stopped ).

Find out all the airports that they have captured, then you will have possible locations for the planes.

They do seem to be making rather more of a mystery of it than is perhaps really necessary. The only likely airports are Tripoli and Benghazi, and it really shouldn't be too difficult to find out if there are any unaccounted for. I've even provided the Libyan Airlines fleet for them (see above). We're expected to believe that they might have flown them out unnoticed to some secret hideaway in the desert? (Perhaps to join a Malaysian Airlines 777 that had been secreted there previously.)

Edited by Admiral Rhubarb

Heres a good idea...

Obama Lifts Ban Barring Libyans from US Flight Schools and Nuclear Studies

To the horror of many in Congress, President Obama has reportedly ordered lifted the 31-year ban preventing Libyan nationals from attending flight schools and studying nuclear science in the United States.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s recent directive reports, “The United States Government and the Government of Libya have normalized their relationship, and most of the restrictions and sanctions imposed by the United States and the United Nations toward Libya have been lifted.”

“Therefore,” the document continues, “DHS, after consultation with the Department of State and the Department of Defense, is considering rescinding the restrictions that deny nonimmigrant status and benefits to a specific group of Libyan nationals.”

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2014/08/17/Obama-Lifts-Ban-Barring-Libyans-from-Flight-School-and-Nuclear-Studies

see the rule here

http://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eAgendaViewRule?pubId=201404&RIN=1653-AA69