Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New species of mushrooms-shaped creatures

Still Waters

Scientists have discovered a new genus in the animal kingdom - mushroom-shaped 'alien' creatures dredged from the depths of the sea strait between mainland Australia and Tasmania.

The two species were placed in a new genus called Dendrogramma, after researchers found that they could not be categorised in any existing phyla - large families of living things.

http://www.independe...ia-9710691.html

• Like 6

Superficially somewhat resembles the Sea Pansy, a shallow water coral relative. Would guess it has the same lifestyle, the stalk rooted in the sediment with the feeding end upright. Interesting discovery.

I love seeing and reading about new creatures that have been undiscovered. I will never get tired of it.

• Like 2

Very cool!

But I'm pretty sure I've eaten these with some butter, shallots, white wine and a touch of sea salt and fresh parsley. :yes:

• Like 2

That is just awesome

“Two species are recognised and current evidence suggest that they represent an early branch on the tree of life, with similarities to the 600 million-year-old extinct Ediacara fauna.”

Who knows what we may learn here. Good onya Aussie :D

• Like 1

I love seeing and reading about new creatures that have been undiscovered.

undiscovered?

lost then?!

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure I've eaten these with some butter, shallots, white wine and a touch of sea salt and fresh parsley.

me too QC, but "exotic" mushrooms are my forte'.....

• Like 2

me too QC, but "exotic" mushrooms are my forte'.....

Deep diving as well? I love a real Foodie!

We are speaking about food, no?

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

Love the use of the word 'Alien' to describe something previously undiscovered lol :no:

Interesting species discovery that's for sure, so much we don't know about our own world.....

Very cool looking, I wonder what else they'll find down there?

Oh, those look cool. I would put them in my fish tank. :)

1/2 lb. Dendrogramma- 1/4 cup butter 1/4 cup EV Olive oil - 1 clove of garlic - 1/4 tsp orange peel, now sauté over medium heat in the oil and butter for a few minutes, then add garlic and orange. Cook Dendrogramma until fork tender and pour over a bed of rice.

• Like 1

If it bleeds it can die.

• 3 weeks later...

Given it's Australia, what's the bet they're venomous or poisonous?

Not much chance of that. But they probably won't chase you like bears, mountain lions or other American bities.

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking the same thing as Maximusnow. Just lovely in a salad. Until the remember the film "The Stuff", you know the yogurt that turned you into mush.