Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dyson to make robot vacuum cleaners

Still Waters

British engineering company Dyson has announced its first robot vacuum cleaner at an event in Tokyo.

The Dyson 360 Eye joins a crowded market - Hoover, iRobot, Samsung, Neato and Vileda are among other manufacturers to sell such products.

But the Cotswolds-based company says its machine has more powerful suction and should be better at spotting dirt thanks to a "unique" camera system.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-29055181

• Like 2

I desperately want one... I hate cleaning...! Lol!

Me too! However, the idea of owning one sounds good but it might not be very practical for everyone. Unless you've got big rooms with plenty of wide open floor spaces, I can't see it able to get into all the nooks and crannies, or the stairs for that matter. I think I'll get it a miss, it'll probably cost a fortune anyway :D

• Like 1

I want one also, we have a lot of cat hair that seems to migrate to places difficult to reach.

Perhaps the American pubic should send a few thousand to Washington..... :whistle:

• Like 1

I have the NEATO. I LOVE it. We have three longhair dogs and two cats. It really helps with the hair. I've programmed mine to run at 11:00 AM every day. It just starts up and does its thing.

The NEATO goes under my furniture. The Dyson looks too tall. I have a Dyson vacuum that I love but for the daily bit I'll stick to my NEATO.

Nibs

These are the objects of cats worst nightmares

Some dogs, too. Mine hates the vacuum. She'd probably go postal on one of these robot vacs.

I can see these being useful for people that over schedule their time and never get a "chance" to vacuum. If Dyson's is like the one I saw some time ago on the news, they aren't very big. You'll have to empty it a lot! Though think about this if you crate your dogs during the day. You crate the dog and send the vacuum on it's merry way (in a room other than the dog). My dog sheds like there's no tomorrow, so you can clean the rugdaily without having to worry about the dog.

Me too! However, the idea of owning one sounds good but it might not be very practical for everyone. Unless you've got big rooms with plenty of wide open floor spaces, I can't see it able to get into all the nooks and crannies, or the stairs for that matter. I think I'll get it a miss, it'll probably cost a fortune anyway :D

Yeah... My thoughts exactly... :)

• Like 1

Dyson products are usually expensive, I think their "Air Multiplier" (i.e. fan) was close to $300. It was pretty cool however!

Dyson products are usually expensive, I think their "Air Multiplier" (i.e. fan) was close to $300. It was pretty cool however!

Yes very expensive and now made cheaply in China.

My local rubbish tip is full of them.

I want one of them little suckers!

I gotta say I hate my Dyson vacuum.

but if I ever did own one of these, I'd have to get a cat who'd ride on it. I'd laugh my butt off all day (instead of vacuuming).

Edited by QuiteContrary

Wrapping my feet with sticky tape and walking around the house is just as effective

• Like 1

We have owned 3 Dysons through the years and they all been utter CRAP, the suction never lasts, parts are ridiculously expensive not to mention no end of other faults....The last 3 years we have owned a Henry Hoover, suction is still as good as new and it has never let us down once.

Dysons are a fashion statement, the buzz lightyear toy for housewives, the 'must have' toy in other words. I do not work for Pneumatic who make Henry's but I know what is good and what works and i'm sorry to the fans but Dysons do not...

Edited by Silent Trinity

This is pretty cool.

I have a Dyson. Have had it for years. Yup, I got it when they first came out and paid quite a bit for it but with regular maintenance (really minor) it's been WONDERFUL. It can suck the chrome off a bumper!!!

Also have the dyson hand held (got a huge discount because we purchased a big one), love it as well. But we won't be going for the Dyson robot. I'll stick with NEATO

But for me, my "buzzlightyear toy" is this. TakeMyMoney I have NO reason to buy this but for some reason...really really want.

:)

Nibs

• 3 weeks later...

In this house there is a Sanyo vac cleaner bought in 1976, 600 watt rating and only the small furniture brush has been replaced since it wore out. It still works perfectly. There is no way I would lay out money on over-engineered, over-priced domestic gear like Dyson (or Kirby) stuff.

As for their "air multipliers", I could put a new 300 mm (12 inch) fan in almost every room in the house for the same money.

I thought we had had robot vacuum cleaners for years. Little disc things that buzz around keeping track of the floor area they have covered to make sure they do not miss the gaps, pretty much like the ones in the article...

Then again maybe my ailing memory is playing tricks on me and they were just prototypes that I remember. :blush:

• Like 1

I thought we had had robot vacuum cleaners for years. Little disc things that buzz around keeping track of the floor area they have covered to make sure they do not miss the gaps, pretty much like the ones in the article...

Then again maybe my ailing memory is playing tricks on me and they were just prototypes that I remember. :blush:

I've seen those! Was years ago.

• Like 1

I've seen those! Was years ago.

Cheers Eldo :tu:

I was starting to doubt myself.

• Like 1