Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

La Chusa

Feenix Fire

i live in San Antonio Texas. When I was little, we used to tell eachother stories of La Chusa. I've heard lots of stories. One was about her whistle. If u here the whistling call of La Chusa and return the call, she would kill you. Some people said it had the face of an old woman. But that sounds like a donkey lady rip off. My Grandmother though, told me that, a long time ago, she saw La Chusa. She said that it was night time and she went out to the back yard (for what reason, i can't remember) and that next door, she saw a strande figure. It looked like a giant egg. But then it started to move. She said it started to walk kinda like the way a penguin walks. She got scared and went back inside. When she was going inside she said that she could hear it fly away. Now I wouldn't take my grandmother to be the type that makes up tall tales. Does anybody have any info on this subject.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Feenix Fire

• coldethyl

• kenshinx

• Alu

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i live in San Antonio Texas.  When I was little, we used to tell eachother stories of La Chusa.  I've heard lots of stories. One was about her whistle. If u here the whistling call of La Chusa and return the call, she would kill you.  Some people said it had the face of an old woman. But that sounds like a donkey lady rip off.  My Grandmother though, told me that, a long time ago, she saw La Chusa.  She said that it was night time and she went out to the back yard (for what reason, i can't remember) and that next door, she saw a strande figure. It looked like a giant egg. But then it started to move. She said it started to walk kinda like the way a penguin walks. She got scared and went back inside. When she was going inside she said that she could hear it fly away.  Now I wouldn't take my grandmother to be the type that makes up tall tales. Does anybody have any info on this subject.

359272[/snapback]

Do you know what La Chusa is SUPPOSED to be? I live in Texas now but spent my first 11 years of life in Southern Cali and our urban legend was Bloody Mary, outside my house complex, there was a creek with overgrown trees and bushes and brush with a cage in it, and my friends and I were afraid it was the cage where bloody mary kept the kids (even though I'm sure it was just a cage for like raccoons or possums or whatever) so LaChusa is probably the same tall tale. But even if your Grandma isn't the type to tell them, how old was she? She probably honestly believed it was LaChusa when it was really a big bird or whatever lol...Do you know anything else about this legend aside from it supposed to kill you if you return the call?

Ok, I found one site...Here and it talks about a different version of how she kills you.

It makes it hard to find anything else about the myth since it was also a case that went to trial...Thing vs La Chusa

original.gif cool link I've never heard that version before. Yeah we did the Bloody Mary thing too. well i didn't because i'm a total wimp. tongue.gif did u guys ever do that thing with the bathroom. Your supposed to like turn the lights off and on three times, flush the toilet three times, and call her name to the mirror three times. She's supposed to appear but I also heard that she can hurt you. that's why i never did it. But yeah I don't know too much about the subject. i think there is an owl that carries that name. Once when i was little, one of our san antonio news shows did a story on a giant bird. They called it "Sesame street in the sky" or something. Stupid title. but I didn't get to see it.

original.gif cool link I've never heard that version before. Yeah we did the Bloody Mary thing too. well i didn't because i'm a total wimp. tongue.gif did u guys ever do that thing with the bathroom. Your supposed to like turn the lights off and on three times, flush the toilet three times, and call her name to the mirror three times. She's supposed to appear but I also heard that she can hurt you. that's why i never did it.  But yeah I don't know too much about the subject. i think there is an owl that carries that name. Once when i was little, one of our san antonio news shows did a story on a giant bird. They called it "Sesame street in the sky" or something. Stupid title. but I didn't get to see it.

359576[/snapback]

Lol, never heard about flushing the toilet, but i was like 8 when candyman came out and since i wasnt' allowed to watch it, my best friedn who was like 2 years older than me made me go into the bathroom and say his name 5 times in teh dark, then she jumped at me lol, i wanted to die.

Our thing with bloody mary was also to go in the bathroom and call her name 3 times in a "spooky slow voice" lol...ah...childhood original.gif such fond memories of fright and terror lol

tongue.giflaugh.gif You know what? I have no idea what La Chusa actually means! My spanish is terrible. lol I'll call my grandmother later on and ask her. I might have even spelled it wrong.

Always called it La Lechusa here.

Bunch of different stories depends who you ask.

Mostly, I think it's the big white owl that's really a 'witch' and steals kids and men.

It's similar to an indian legend, can't remember the name of those shapeshifters atm tho.

La Lechusa, not La Llorena.

Reminds me of a story from my grandfather who rode with Pancho Villa before he became a preacher. He said Pancho one night went to take a leak, they were all drinking around the fire. He went into the woods a bit and saw a lady go behind a tree. He went to the tree and she was back a little farther. He went to that next tree and caught her, he said she turned around and had no face. So he kinda freaked and went back to the camp and told them. Grandfather said it was a couple hours before Pancho even rememberd he had to take a leak and just went by his horse instead of going back to the woods heh. Grandad said he believed him because the look on his face, said he turned white and had hairs standing up... said he knew Pancho saw *something* and took him at his word for what he saw. He was all old and stuff when I knew him, preacher, real honest stand up guy... I believe his retelling. Can't remember what he called that woman... all the old ladies were saying something like they knew what the entity in the story was. Wish I could remember what they called it.

Are you sure it wasn't La Llorona? that pretty much sounds like her. Her story is different depending on where and who you hear it from but its always the same formula. One is that her husband was cheating on her so she took their kids and drowned them in the river. then killed herself. that's the story I hear the most. But usually if someone sees her, it's by a river. My father-in-law set he heard her crying in a ghostly way but he was too scared too investigate. He trying looking from where he was but couldn't see anything. That's cool though. I also had a relative who rode with Panch Villa. He was either an uncle or grandfather. I can't remember what my grandmother said. But he died long before I was born of course. But yeah, La Lechusa sounds right. Thx. grin2.gif

• 6 months later...

i've heard of lachusa. my friends colby and rob have claimed to have seen it a night after we talked about it with some guy from down the road. ive never seen it. but i heard that it usually appears to those who have done something seriously wrong or something like that.

yeah my father in law told me that too. i think I'm going to ask the elders (my grandparents and in-laws) for more info and legends about La lechusa. (or however you say it.) i'll see what i can find on the net. If you've got any cool stories please share them. I don't know how much I want to believe in LaChusa but like i posted earlier, my grandmother is what makes me question it.

thanks for posting demolition. i forgot about this thread. lol

edit: i'm such a dork! I can't spell today! happy.gif

Edited by Feenix Fire

Okay I found an artical. It mentions places in texas like Pleasanton and Crystal City (all really close to me!) lol but here you go.

lechuza linkage!

One of the stories, sounds a little dumb, but it's still a bit interesting. anybody here ever hear or tell these stories at sleepovers or camping trips?

I don't know what this thread is doing in this forum. i think i was still very new when i started it. It should be in the cryptozoology section. If any of the mods want to move it for me i'll give you a cookie! (well at least a picture of a cookie.)

Edited by Feenix Fire

Everything is bigger in Texas. original.gif

anytime, feenix. yeah, ive discussed this sorta thing at campouts. i think ive seen a lachusa before. ill never go back and check. but i think i might have. "cookies are friggin awesome!"

The word lechuza simply means "owl."

I've never heard of la lechuza being particularly huge or menacing, though (ala Mothman). My grandfather used to tell me several old legends concerning la lechuza. He said that superstitious people believed that whenever someone heard an owl hooting just outside their window it was a warning that someone in the family was going to die soon.

He also said many believed if they saw an owl perched on a tree looking into their house it was a sign that an evil person had put a curse upon their home.

I'm sure there are many old superstitions passed on by word of mouth that have been forgotten. Fortunately, it's all bs.

i live in San Antonio Texas.  When I was little, we used to tell eachother stories of La Chusa.  I've heard lots of stories. One was about her whistle. If u here the whistling call of La Chusa and return the call, she would kill you.  Some people said it had the face of an old woman. But that sounds like a donkey lady rip off.  My Grandmother though, told me that, a long time ago, she saw La Chusa.  She said that it was night time and she went out to the back yard (for what reason, i can't remember) and that next door, she saw a strande figure. It looked like a giant egg. But then it started to move. She said it started to walk kinda like the way a penguin walks. She got scared and went back inside. When she was going inside she said that she could hear it fly away.  Now I wouldn't take my grandmother to be the type that makes up tall tales. Does anybody have any info on this subject.

359272[/snapback]

Lechuzas are witches who shape shift into large half woman, half owl creatures. When I was a child I saw a currandero (witch healer) cast a ritual and drop a lechuza from a tree and stab it in the heart with a silver knife. My mother forced me to turn away at that point so I missed the "shape shifting back to human form". The lechuza that was killed by the currandero was allegedly causing trouble in the neighborhood. If you go to teresafbarker.com you can read about lechuzas. She calls them by their other name, Tecolotes. If you click on the site map on the homepage, you will find tecolotes under supernatural. Teresa Barker had some bad experiences with lechuzas herself. The kind of lechuzas that were bothering her were not shape shifters, they were sent by witches to do the harm. I personally know a Bruja (witch) who keeps owls in cages in her backyard. You can guess what she does with them."

this reminds me of a story my mom told me. she knew a woman who lived in a poor village in mexico. back then..... there was no electricity and used outdoor bathrooms. houses were either built by wood, or stone. windows didn't have any glass, just a curtain. and doors were poorly hinged and the hook locks were used. ( my grandparents in mexico used to live like this. i hated it. i used to hate going to sleep cuz i was always so paranoid about intuders)

anyways....this is how the woman lived. her husband wasn't home that night so it was just her and her baby daughter. they were both alseep on the bed which was against a wall. the lady was near the edge while the baby was asleep between the mother and wall. the lady would wake up fro m time to time during the night check on her baby then go back to sleep. well the baby's cry woke her and she saw something run fast out the door. she couldn't tell what it was cuz it was pitch black. she found the baby on the floor next to the bed, face up. the baby was unharmed. how the hell did he baby get on the floor!?! who knows what it could've been.... but the lady thinks it was a witch. i dunno if it was la chusa or what tho...

Witches are good they are not evil!!

I think La Lechusa is a Harpy!

• 3 months later...

I really do believe in this one. Some of my cousins friends came over and most of their family had heard of this legend before. They told my cousin and me about their experiences. The first person told us that they were at a birthday party somewhere in Texas close to Lindale I think, but they whistled three time really loud and long when all of the sudden a whistle came back to them in three different directions. They started to get scared as the creatures came towards them as they ran for the house. They were standing in a big corn field, so it was hard to see anything. As they got to the house they heard scrapping against the roof of the house and wings beating against it as well. The boy who's party it was had recieved a dog for his birthday and they left it outside. As the dog continued to bark there was a sudden silence and the dog was never seen again. These two people are very reliable people. The other person told us that she whistled and it answered back, but everytime she was outside after dark by herself she felt like something was watching her from the trees. So my cousin and her friends decided to try it at exactly 12 o'clock or it wont work. They whislted, but they only did it twice and it was very quiet. So we didn't get to experience the legend. It is said that they can hear the whistle if loud enough from about 3 or more miles away.

Edited by Megladon2021

Do you know what La Chusa is SUPPOSED to be? I live in Texas now but spent my first 11 years of life in Southern Cali and our urban legend was Bloody Mary, outside my house complex, there was a creek with overgrown trees and bushes and brush with a cage in it, and my friends and I were afraid it was the cage where bloody mary kept the kids (even though I'm sure it was just a cage for like raccoons or possums or whatever) so LaChusa is probably the same tall tale. But even if your Grandma isn't the type to tell them, how old was she? She probably honestly believed it was LaChusa when it was really a big bird or whatever lol...Do you know anything else about this legend aside from it supposed to kill you if you return the call?

i don't know if this is fake or not but your suppossed to go into a dark room with a mirror. turn the lights off and say "bloody mary" 5 times and then the lights will turn on and you will see BLOODY MARY.

i'm not sure if this is fake or not

^ :lol: I've tried it many a time and it has never worked for me :yes:

There are many variants to this story as well. This is off topic though :ph34r:

• 2 months later...

i live in San Antonio Texas. When I was little, we used to tell eachother stories of La Chusa. I've heard lots of stories. One was about her whistle. If u here the whistling call of La Chusa and return the call, she would kill you. Some people said it had the face of an old woman. But that sounds like a donkey lady rip off. My Grandmother though, told me that, a long time ago, she saw La Chusa. She said that it was night time and she went out to the back yard (for what reason, i can't remember) and that next door, she saw a strande figure. It looked like a giant egg. But then it started to move. She said it started to walk kinda like the way a penguin walks. She got scared and went back inside. When she was going inside she said that she could hear it fly away. Now I wouldn't take my grandmother to be the type that makes up tall tales. Does anybody have any info on this subject.

Does anyone know how to catch and or kill a la chusa? If so please get back to me, thanks.

Does anyone know how to catch and or kill a la chusa? If so please get back to me, thanks.

Well i know how to call a La Lechusa, you have to whistle at midnight 12:00 a.m and supposedly she should come to kill you.

Edited by CharmedFan3