Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

La Chusa

Feenix Fire

The word lechuza simply means "owl."

I've never heard of la lechuza being particularly huge or menacing, though (ala Mothman). My grandfather used to tell me several old legends concerning la lechuza. He said that superstitious people believed that whenever someone heard an owl hooting just outside their window it was a warning that someone in the family was going to die soon.

He also said many believed if they saw an owl perched on a tree looking into their house it was a sign that an evil person had put a curse upon their home.

I'm sure there are many old superstitions passed on by word of mouth that have been forgotten. Fortunately, it's all bs.

Yep. Lechuza is a kind of owl. (ugly though). I remember when I would be at my beach house, I would hear them at night and my aunt always told me they attack people by taking the victims' eyes out haha of course she was kidding, but it was scary when I was little. I loved it.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Feenix Fire

• coldethyl

• kenshinx

• Alu

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What's up peeps...Nego here...cool to be in this forum.... My grandfather once told me a story about his brother in law catching a Lechusa.... which was supposed to be a witch either transformed into a ball of light or a large owl... My grandfather said he knocked it out of the air when it tried to scratch him.....it fell into a brushy draw...when he went into the draw..there was a young nude girl....lying there...he pulled out his machete to strike her but she pleaded for her life..... he felt sorry for her and let her go... she promised him money but obviously he never saw her again...and he was very sick a couple of days afterward..... this all occured in west Texas in the late 40's... although I have heard stories around in old S.A. myself.....

Edited by Nego

What do witches have to do with La Lechusa?. I really dont understand why witches-who practice wicca would shapeshift in to large birds and attack people i really doubt that witches can shapeshift in to owls or birds that is more of a demonic related story. As far as i know Witches are the followers of Wicca and there is no point to accuse witches of being La Lechusas.

• 8 months later...

From what im told by a friend of mines mother is, The La Chusa is an owl, the owl has the face of a person who has cursed you. No idea the details of the curse, no idea if its one of those long term or short term. Im also from san antonio tx. God i miss home and my food there.

From what im told by a friend of mines mother is, The La Chusa is an owl, the owl has the face of a person who has cursed you. No idea the details of the curse, no idea if its one of those long term or short term. Im also from san antonio tx. God i miss home and my food there.

Gah! Evil necroposter! :cry:

that is mothman :P and welcome to UM. necroposter are welcome :D:D:yes:

Yes, we welcome necroposters....

[attachmentid=27983]

post-16552-1157119127.gif

Gah! Evil necroposter! :cry:

Aw, c'mon..not ALL necroposters are evil....just unimaginative :tu: ....welcome to UM!!!

I think La Lechusa is a Harpy!

Thats what I was thinking as I was reading the original discription at around the beginning of the thread.

I'll admit I dont much about Mexican Indian legends but I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Aztecs had a legend about a bird like creature that was known in Europe as the Harpy.

If I'm wrong or have the wrong Tribe let me know.

I've never heard the Spanish name but there have been many sightings of huge, black birds, larger than condors, in many parts of the US besides Texas.

Yes, we welcome necroposters....

[attachmentid=27983]

LOl! You make that yourself?

LOl! You make that yourself?

No, that fabulous work of art was done by angrycrustacean! He deserves all the credit! He's a bit more violent than I.

Are you sure it wasn't La Llorona? that pretty much sounds like her. Her story is different depending on where and who you hear it from but its always the same formula. One is that her husband was cheating on her so she took their kids and drowned them in the river. then killed herself. that's the story I hear the most. But usually if someone sees her, it's by a river. My father-in-law set he heard her crying in a ghostly way but he was too scared too investigate. He trying looking from where he was but couldn't see anything. That's cool though. I also had a relative who rode with Panch Villa. He was either an uncle or grandfather. I can't remember what my grandmother said. But he died long before I was born of course. But yeah, La Lechusa sounds right. Thx. :D

Wow...lol...funny, but I also had relatives that rode with Pancho Villa. I actually didn't know until about 10 years ago and saw a picture in a restaurant in Castroville (I live in San Antonio) and saw a picture with Pancho Villa and his men...right next to him was a guy that looked exactly like my mother's nephew (wasn't him, but rather his grandfather), and she told me about how our family had a few members that faught with him.

But back to the subject....I've heard stories of La Lechusa...my mother said she heard it and then went out and saw it. From what I can tell it is an owl...white faced ones...not sure of the actual name. They are common in the country here in TX...we had a whole family living in our garages in Sabinal...nasty creatures really....throwing up their sacks full of fur and bones....lol.

BTW....cool to see another person from San Antonio on here :D

• 4 weeks later...

been on alot of boards, what is your definition of a necroposter? LOL

Someone who posts 5+ months late.

• 2 weeks later...

That sounds a lot like an old Creek tell of an evil medicine man called a "staginey" who is in a form of a white owl and can shapeshift. I have heard that if you go out in the woods to where you can't see or hear any civilization, to taunt him and he will come for you.

Don’t know about the spelling of it but I Attached a wav file of staginey being pronounced.

:alien:

Always called it La Lechusa here.

Bunch of different stories depends who you ask.

Mostly, I think it's the big white owl that's really a 'witch' and steals kids and men.

It's similar to an indian legend, can't remember the name of those shapeshifters atm tho.

La Lechusa, not La Llorena.

Reminds me of a story from my grandfather who rode with Pancho Villa before he became a preacher. He said Pancho one night went to take a leak, they were all drinking around the fire. He went into the woods a bit and saw a lady go behind a tree. He went to the tree and she was back a little farther. He went to that next tree and caught her, he said she turned around and had no face. So he kinda freaked and went back to the camp and told them. Grandfather said it was a couple hours before Pancho even rememberd he had to take a leak and just went by his horse instead of going back to the woods heh. Grandad said he believed him because the look on his face, said he turned white and had hairs standing up... said he knew Pancho saw *something* and took him at his word for what he saw. He was all old and stuff when I knew him, preacher, real honest stand up guy... I believe his retelling. Can't remember what he called that woman... all the old ladies were saying something like they knew what the entity in the story was. Wish I could remember what they called it.

staginey.wav

If I died and came-back, I would NOT want my face on a white owl....next thing you know kids would be shoving "tootsie-pops" in my mouth and asking me "how many licks"....like I don't have anything better to do.

If I died and came-back, I would NOT want my face on a white owl....next thing you know kids would be shoving "tootsie-pops" in my mouth and asking me "how many licks"....like I don't have anything better to do.

That might not be so bad if you think about it. Tootsie Pops have to taste better than field mice.

That might not be so bad if you think about it. Tootsie Pops have to taste better than field mice.

Hmmmmmm....to the center...of a field-mouse....*licks* ah-one....*licks* ah-two-hoooo...*licks and crunches* ah-three............ :cry: ................*looks for the trash can*