Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

La Chusa

Feenix Fire

I have heard a lot of stories regarding the lechuza all my life but I will only write those that I have heard from reliable sources so here we go...

Well let me start by giving you some background info... my dad is a big skeptic and my mom well she actually had a close encounter with one as a child(the lechuza was not actually after her, it was after my grandpa) so when ever dad was not around she will tell us stories(or) experience from her childhood my mom grew up in a farm in norther Mexico about 2 hours from the border and she recalls a night(first time this happened)when a lechuza perched on her parents window and started calling out my grandpa's name and the chuze will tell him that if he was man enough he will come out and get what he deserved... of course my grandpa never did(my grandma feared for his life so she never let him) and the chuza will come almost every other night sometimes everyday but eventually stopped going. But my mom does remember always being frighten and scared of what will happened to her if she would needed to go out to the restroom(her house had the toilet separated from the main house).

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Feenix Fire

• coldethyl

• kenshinx

• Alu

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My uncle also states to have caught a lechuza once he remembers that-that particular night was beautiful and the moon was nice and round and the night seems pretty and peaceful that why he decided to start working in this truck instead of waiting till next day... well he told me that first a light caught this attention a light that jumped from tree to tree(later one he realize that it was no light it was actually the white lechuza in the full moon that looked like a jumping light) well in that instant he remembers that one of my grandpa's workers had told him that if he ever had an encounter with a lechuza there was a way to bring her down and powerless so he started to recite a credo and after each one he will do a knot to his paño till the seventh knot and this is when the lechuza dropped to his feet so he took 'it' inside and tided her to his bed then he went outside to finish what he had started in his truck.... then by the time he was done it was almost light out and he came in to a young lady in his bed who begged him to let her go because she was afraid that if her children woke up and she was not there they will be scared... so my uncle told her that she could go but she told him well you have to undo the knots or else I can't so he did. Years later a lady came to his door and told him that she just wanted to thank him and he was like..?? why?? so she told him that she was that lechuza that he had catch and nicely let go so she just wanted to thank him.... I was like wow tio your cool B)

• 2 months later...

Thats not all...... The Lechusa is a witch in bird form, taking form of an owl anywhere from 3 to 4ft tall. We have seen numerous sightings of them here in San Angelo Tx. Especially at our Lake Nasworthy camp grounds. I have seen them out at the camp grounds personally and i have seen them out in the middle of town by the Concho river jogging areas.These witches only come out when they are beckoned by the person wanting harm on someone.. They are wicked big white owls and they walk on their wings like an ape would, and they fly around too. They do make crying sounds like a baby, and they also whistle too. I have had an encounter before with one. I don't think it was meant to attack me, i was probably in the wrong place at the wrong time. They are really strong when they are flying it litteraly picked me up about 6ft off the ground and flung me to the ground. i quickly grabbed the nearest thing to me which was a broken tree branch and started swinging at it hitting it a few times and started cussing at it until it flew away. They say if you see one and tell it to "come for salt" in Spanish that the witch will come to your doorsteps the next day and ask you for it. The main thing about the Lechusa is that when it attacks it goes for your eyes. They say that the witch is blind thats why they need the eyes. A perfect weapon for the Lechusa is a leather rope or whip drenched in holy water and salt. They say you can catch it.

The word lechuza simply means "owl."

I've never heard of la lechuza being particularly huge or menacing, though (ala Mothman). My grandfather used to tell me several old legends concerning la lechuza. He said that superstitious people believed that whenever someone heard an owl hooting just outside their window it was a warning that someone in the family was going to die soon.

He also said many believed if they saw an owl perched on a tree looking into their house it was a sign that an evil person had put a curse upon their home.

I'm sure there are many old superstitions passed on by word of mouth that have been forgotten. Fortunately, it's all bs.

In New Mexico, Lechuza (correct spelling) is a bruja that can become and owl or a black cat. She can bring death and will sit outside your window and hoot to announce her presence and forthcoming doom. Owls are harbingers of disaster, not just death. When my grandmother was seriously ill and wasn't expected to make it, an owl started hooting outside her window at night. My mom had me run outside and scream at it to chase it away. Needless to say my grandmother didn't die. We also have a lot of stories about La Llorona too. :)

Edited by Totah Dine

What in the world?!?!? OMG.. I love this thread, I have lived in Texas all my life and I have never heard these legends. I have heard things very similar but to me Lechusa just means Owl.

My grandma is from Mexico she is the one who told me crazy bird stories I had posted them in another thread, but the birds in her story were just big black birds.

Recently I have taken up a really big interest in owls, I was telling my mom about it and she said she once did too when she was young; until my grandma started calling her a witch. She said there was 3 owls that would sit outside her house up in the trees, so she would sit outside and watch them and night. After this my grandma started calling her a witch and told everyone she was a witch. CRAZY!! :w00t: My mom is very religious she did a 360 from my grandma, my grandma really believes in santeria and all that stuff, so maybe my mom tried to omit a lot.

Here's the stories my grandma told me..

When I was little my grandma told me a story about a teacher, (I'm sorry Don't remember it very well), I'm not quite sure who this girl was suppose to be. This was a newly married girl, she and her husband moved to a little town where she was offered a job.(This was all in Mexico.) Supposedly every one warned her that this town was full of witches and that she shouldn't move there. When she got there people were weird, they were mean to her, didn't really like her. Apparently there was problems between her and some of the people in town. (I guess they didn't like strangers.) She had a baby while she was there, and decided to move because of her baby. She must have felt threatened in some way... I'm sure there's something in between, something about her husband. Any way they were getting ready to move out and leave town, and one night while they were sleeping they had the window open and a giant black bird came in the window and launched at the crib. The crib had a veil covering so the bird just struggled with the veil and they scared it out. She said it was the witches coming to get the baby. This story scared the jeebeez out of me, when I was little.

She also told me another one about a town that was being terrorized by a giant black bird. Apparently this bird would circle around, chase people, and kill their livestock. So some of the men got together to hunt it down. So one night a few of them lured it and shot it down in midair. She said when they went to pick it up, it was a woman on the ground with two shots in the chest.Needless to say she was a shape shifting witch. Supposedly they carried her to the town hall, for everyone to see.

I guess they didn't like black bird back then. lol :lol:

I have soooooo many stories my grandma told me.

• 4 months later...

What in the world?!?!? OMG.. I love this thread, I have lived in Texas all my life and I have never heard these legends. I have heard things very similar but to me Lechusa just means Owl.

My grandma is from Mexico she is the one who told me crazy bird stories I had posted them in another thread, but the birds in her story were just big black birds.

Recently I have taken up a really big interest in owls, I was telling my mom about it and she said she once did too when she was young; until my grandma started calling her a witch. She said there was 3 owls that would sit outside her house up in the trees, so she would sit outside and watch them and night. After this my grandma started calling her a witch and told everyone she was a witch. CRAZY!! :w00t: My mom is very religious she did a 360 from my grandma, my grandma really believes in santeria and all that stuff, so maybe my mom tried to omit a lot.

Here's the stories my grandma told me..

real crazy stuff but i dint believe in any of this specially when my dad told me that in mexico san luis potosi my grandma use to knock them right out of the sky by saying a prayer the other way around then him and his brothers would pick them up and tie them to the leg of a wooden table then the next morning the owl would be alive but never showing its true for never shape shifting in front of a person but sometimes it would talk to them. i dint believe this but then here in Houston TX some one was doing my uncle some brujeria stuff so asked my dad to let him borrow his pellet gun because he had 3 owls hanging out in his back yard after that 3 days later he was scared because after killing them they would be alive the next day so my dad decided to go check it out and so did I it was the scariest thing instead of whistling like many post here say this owls were laughing my that day shot them down and tied them to a table leg then went to a brujo they checked my uncle and he said he was under some spell from a person that was hating on him then they did a ritual that in spanish it is called barrida the three owls were gone....and now i believe in them.

• 3 months later...

I know one thing is for sure, owls that present themselves are significant. I have seen two so far in the last two years in broad daylight here in El Paso, Texas. The first time it was a pretty lightpeach colored owl sitting on a priests tomb. Then i saw a pretty one on a water scale in a ditch a little over a year later. Both were for me..the thing is is i know its not death or illness...for those of you who dont know this but death, condolances and illnesses are warned through moth families. Owls color is important.."bad medicine" is another phrase, yet i am still in study through my own experiences.

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding strange flying creatures in San Antonio, Texas:

“One evening, I was outside my apartment building . . . talking to my brother . . . My dad and I had, on several occasions, noticed bats flying right near our heads . . . Neither my brother or I was prone to being scared by anything outside at night. This night was different. We noticed something flying around across the road from where we were. This is (or was at the time) a two-lane road, and the creature was flying just above the phone lines. It would go one direction, turn, and swoop back. The shape was wrong for any large bird of the area, and the size was much too large to be any bat I have ever seen."

That is from the third edition of the nonfiction book "Live Pterosaurs in America."