Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Why don't we see ghosts of dinosaurs?"

Jilliman

This is my atheist fiancé's favorite argument when I try to tell him there is an afterlife and ghosts do exist. I must say he has a point though. A strange question to pose.

I am welcoming anyone out there who also believes in ghosts to help explain why there aren't ghosts of dinosaurs. I'm just curious to hear explanations and opinions of others. Thanks!

• Like 5

Well, from a religious point of view it would be said that dinosaurs did not have souls...ergo, no ghosts. Now, I've heard of people claiming to see ghost cats and so forth...so it does seem rather contradictory. Personally, I have no idea why nobody claims to see dino-ghosts.

• Like 4

I don't think theres been many, if any, cavemen type ghosts either.

• Like 6

But (if we are to believe the claims) there are endless accounts of ghost animals, so I think it fair to bounce that *why no dinosaur ghosts* ball back in the 'yup, sure, ghosts exist' court. I mean, I'd hate to accuse people of cherry picking what they believe without fair opportunity to address the question.

Edited by Duck33

How the hell can human have souls but all other animals not? I call bs. Dinosaurs man, they've had a lot of time to make peace and pass on, to the next life I believe. Interesting question though, if we have many lives, then wouldn't it mean some lives are harder to remember? Like if you had been a fly or a gecko. I dont get that, why dont people proclaim they've been an animal in their past life. Maybe consciousness grows with each life (if you live well) and a rat's soul (which I believe is big for its size) ain't gonna fit to a bumblebee's body. Maybe souls go hungry though, if they wait too long before choosing a next life, and big dinosaur souls might've shrinked.

• Like 3

SyFy did have a ghost shark.

What would haunt me would be the ghost of every insect that fell prey to my bug zapper.

• Like 5

This is my atheist fiancé's favorite argument when I try to tell him there is an afterlife and ghosts do exist. I must say he has a point though. A strange question to pose.

I am welcoming anyone out there who also believes in ghosts to help explain why there aren't ghosts of dinosaurs. I'm just curious to hear explanations and opinions of others. Thanks!

*LOL* Quick! Hide this post or we will have another "Ghost Hunting" reality show!!!

Nibs

• Like 1

It's because I don't believe animals have souls. Even if they do, they aren't self aware, so they'd have no reason to come back or hang around.

• Like 1

this is by far the best thread headline since....ever! :D

I have this list in my head, "Ghosts: pro & contra", and some time ago, this issue made for a HUUUGE contra.

If ghosts exist, why, indeed, only of "modern humans"? Why no neanderthal-, elephant-, shrimp-, or dinosaur ghosts?

"having a soul" is also somewhat of a hocus-pocus explanation.....

Maybe a life form needs a certain level of evolutionarily achieved complexity to become a ghost?

Maybe there is no such thing a ghosts? Whoever can tell, let me know....

• Like 6

Assuming ghosts exist, I would say the dinosaur ghosts have already "crossed over". 65 million years is a long time.

• Like 3

SyFy did have a ghost shark.

That was a terrific movie. XD

My fiancé actually has me stumped on this but I reckon if dinos have been dead for so long their souls have probably passed on.

The idea of no cavemen ghost interest me. :unsure2: surely they had spirits also, could they have moved on long ago? You dont hear of hauntings at archaeology digs.

• Like 1

My theory is that the spirit is the conscious energy of the deceased that continues to 'live' on once the body it inhabits dies, until it eventually runs out of power and just fizzles into non-existence. Some people may have a lot of conscious energy still left over, even if their living body lasted a long time, which is why we see ghosts of people who have died a relatively short time ago - like a couple hundreds of years ago, but it will eventually run out.

Spirits can change their appearances and interact with the physical world but this uses up energy. This is how we can recognise the spirit as someone we know, because the formless 'blob' of energy has taken a shape - the shape of the deceased. Orbs are probably this formless energy and explains why we can't see them with our own eyes. We don't see many spirits of animals as they aren't intelligent enough to give their conscious energy any kind of semi-physical form, and we might not see the ghosts of a lot of recently-deceased people because they don't want to use up any energy doing what they might see as useless things.

Dinosaurs and cavemen have been dead for millions of years so their energy would have ran out by now.

...Did I explain that very well? D: I'm probably super wrong simply because I'm no ghost expert, nor am I a biologist. This is just a silly theory of mine.

• Like 6

Why should Dino's have ghosts after death?

Wouldn't that be a little like saying that ants, moths, scorpions, sharks, birds, worms, termites, gorillas, elephants, etc, etc... become "ghosts after death?

• Like 1

They went to explore outer space.

• Like 4

Wouldn't that be a little like saying that ants, moths, scorpions, sharks, birds, worms, termites, gorillas, elephants, etc, etc... become "ghosts after death?

Well, he says that too. I actually have my own "proof" of animal spirits. My cat is still with me (of course my fiancé doesn't believe me but I don't blame him as I can't really show him). I think a lot of animals have spirits and I've heard of ghost animals. It's not as common. I wonder if we see more human ghosts because we are human ourselves. I wonder if animals do indeed see ghosts of other animals.

I don't think bugs will as I believe they aren't capable of consciousness of that level and if they are, maybe they reincarnate into something higher.

All in all, I think that cats and dogs are pure souls and are meant to be our guides. Some are even guardian angels.

As far as dinosaurs go, we've never seen any alive so maybe we can't connect to their spiritual remains. Or maybe someone planted their bones and they never existed...just kidding! :P

Or maybe their consciousness has ascended. I for one believe in the universal consciousness theory so my belief is that all prehistoric consciousness is floating around in there or reborn.

I do think ghost dinosaurs would be an awesome idea for a movie though!

• Like 1

Excellent Question!

Edited by quiXilver
  • Like 1

yes, and why the heck not? ;)
  • Like 1

Maybe because "ghosts" to be not eternal.... Astral beings often will cease to exist some time after the death of the physical body and soul is reincarnated into a new existence..............

See buddhists, hindu, taosist, mystical and magick texts. :(

Why would humans? Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 2

Oy...

Look you could get give a mechanistic and metaphysical explanation that relies on the nature of the human soul versus the natural spiritual components of animals and blah blah blah.

Or you could just say that there are dino-ghosts, but they're all deep underground in their epoch's geological stratum like their fossils.

Or that 65 million years is plenty of time to work out unfinished business.

Or that their incredibly small and unevolved reptile brains meant they had no sense of personality to make a ghost.

I'd just settle on saying dinosaurs were a chill crowd in general that had no issue excepting death.

No matter the explanation, it's a rather moot point. No one's going to reevaluate their life's stance and change their opinion about Pascal's Wager because a snarky questions about dinosaurs backfired.

• Like 2

The whole reincarnation thing I think is bunk, I do believe in God but I think after you die that's the end of your chapter and that includes the soul also. BTW have any of you ever seen the movie Odd Thomas?

Edited by GrimmOne
  • Like 1

Ah now some people have seen dinosaur phantoms. It isn't so common because these creatures have been dead for about 63 million years. You also have to bare in mind that today's landscape and climate isn't what it was during the dinosaur eras. So there is little of the spirits to roam and no you can't expect them to appear in your house. Also ancient people did have insight and more experience than we do. Legends of dragons are a memory of how much power and significance dinosaur spirits had on ancient humans.

• Like 2

Legends of dragons are a memory of how much power and significance dinosaur spirits had on ancient humans.

i love how you state that as a known fact.....! Where do you have this from?

• Like 2