Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US to keep nukes to use against an asteroid

UM-Bot

The United States is keeping some of its nuclear warheads in case of an apocalyptic asteroid threat.

There is no denying that large asteroids pose a risk to our planet. Palaeontologists have seen firm evidence that over the last few hundred million years there have been numerous mass extinction events associated with asteroid impacts including that of the dinosaurs which disappeared 65 million years ago.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...nst-an-asteroid

• Like 1

Nice excuse to have more nukes on standby, lol :P

Instead of 1 giant asteroid wiping us out, we'll have tons of smaller radioactive rocks pelting us (well, depending on the composition of the asteroids, blowing them up could help, maybe...).

• Like 2

Scientists done said this was a bad idea.

I guess us Brits should keep some as well, just to be on the safe side...oh and Russia.....it might be a big asteroid.

Do they seriously think anyone would fall for this?

And a better idea is... what?

• Like 3

Sounds legitimate to me, I keep nukes at home in case of an in bound mother in-law...

• Like 6

Whining and crying about it.

• Like 3

Whining and crying about it.

Why bother with the Nukes, your hammer could stop any incoming asteroids. ;)

• Like 3

Nice excuse to have more nukes on standby, lol :P

Instead of 1 giant asteroid wiping us out, we'll have tons of smaller radioactive rocks pelting us (well, depending on the composition of the asteroids, blowing them up could help, maybe...).

Hopefully we'd have enough warning that a rocket(s) could carry the nukes out far enough where the radioactivity wouldn't be a big issue if any at all. If we can't destroy the asteroids, we may be able to nudge it away from us. Regardless, sounds like a better plan then just doing nothing and bending over and kissing your ass good-bye.
  • Like 4

As others have said. It's worth a shot

If we don't do anything we would die regardless so might as well try

• Like 5

As others have said. It's worth a shot

If we don't do anything we would die regardless so might as well try

Exactly right! :tu:

A huge asteroid, unabated, can cause world wide extinction.

A nuke blowing an asteroid into a thousand pieces, might cause semi-world-wide destruction, but certainly not extinction.

The choice, given the two, is clear to me.

• Like 1

Hm, guess Pentagon have seen WAY to many bad action movies lately...

Nah, they're just being mature about using readily available technology to deal with a perceivable catastrophic threat.

• Like 1

Why bother with the Nukes, your hammer could stop any incoming asteroids. ;)

I only save the world now if cash and mead are involved.

• Like 3

I guess us Brits should keep some as well, just to be on the safe side...oh and Russia.....it might be a big asteroid.

North Korea... North Koreaaaaa

Don't think you get our cynicism....the US are pretty much trying to convince others of disarming then come up with an excuse for them not to. Fine to use Nukes, just not 1 country having them all.

Don't think you get our cynicism....the US are pretty much trying to convince others of disarming then come up with an excuse for them not to. Fine to use Nukes, just not 1 country having them all.

Because you'd rather do nothing and let an asteroid kill the planet instead of having a nation with the ability to at least try and do something about it.

Wow.

cdl6.jpg

Lol when we want nukes we don't really make up excuses for them. We just kind of do it

Aren't there laws about using nukes in outer space? I did a research paper on nuclear weapons waayyyy back in my high school years.

• Like 1

What will the aliens think? I dont liks this, i dont like this one bit. Of course, if mr grAy says it is okay, then im all in.

What will the aliens think? I dont liks this, i dont like this one bit. Of course, if mr grAy says it is okay, then im all in.

The aliens can have a say when they volunteer to give us the tech to take our flying rocks out for us.

• Like 1

The aliens can have a say when they volunteer to give us the tech to take our flying rocks out for us.

Quoted for truth.

A few?!?!? Hell. We should keep them all. Deadly massive comet heads for earth and breaks into 14 pieces after perihelion.

Headline

US vaporizes each on with 8-15 nukes a piece.

• Like 1