Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Amelia Earhart's Plane Found?

Lilly

I've read this before, somewhere. There was a photo of the plane before it took off, and the patch on the plane matched the piece of metal found. Looking at pictures of Earhart, I allways thought she was a beautiful woman in a masculine sort of way.

• Like 1

Here is the data from TIGHAR http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Research/Bulletins/73_StepbyStep/73_Step_by_Step.html

Seems very compelling, especially their Null hypothesis:

Although many questions remain to be answered about Artifact 2-2-V-1, it is instructive to consider the alternative explanation. If the artifact is not the scab patch from NR16020, then it is a random piece of aircraft wreckage from some unknown type involved in an unknown accident that just happens to match the dozens of material and dimensional requirements of the patch. This incredibly specific, but random, piece of debris just happened to end up on Nikumaroro, the atoll where so much other evidence points to Earhart.
Edited by Merc14
  • Like 3

The Island is a former British colonial possession, inhabited from around 1939 until 1964. From Wikipedia:

On 1 December 1938, members of the British Pacific Islands Survey Expedition arrived to evaluate the island as a possible location for either seaplane landings or an airfield. On 20 December, more British officials arrived with 20 Gilbertese settlers in the last colonial expansion of the British Empire (other than formal annexations preparatory to withdrawal, etc.).[N 2] Efforts to clear land and plant coconuts were hindered by a profound lack of drinking water. By June 1939, a few wells had been successfully established and there were 58 I-Kiribati on Gardner, comprising 16 men, 16 women and 26 children. The island's early supervisor and magistrate was Teng Koata whose wife, according to local legend, had an encounter with the goddess Manganibuka on a remote part of the island.[citation needed]

The British colonial officer, Gerald Gallagher, established a headquarters of the Phoenix Islands Settlement Scheme in the village located on the island's western end, on the south side of the largest entrance to the lagoon.[N 3] Wide coral-gravel streets and a parade ground were laid out and important structures included a thatched administration house, wood-frame cooperative store and a radio shack. Gallagher died and was buried on the island in 1941.[8] From 1944 through 1945 the United States Coast Guard operated a navigational LORAN station with 25 crewmen on the southeastern tip of Gardner, installing an antenna system, quonset huts and some smaller structures.[9] Only scattered debris remains on the site.

The island's population reached a high of approximately 100 by the mid-1950s. However, by the early 1960s, periodic drought and an unstable freshwater lens had thwarted the struggling colony. Its residents were evacuated to the Solomon Islands by the British in 1963 and by 1965 Gardner was officially uninhabited.

It does sound like this long time mystery may have been solved. Ms Earhart's disappearance has been one of history's greatest mysteries. There's been all sorts of speculation from her having been taken prisoner by the Japanese to her having been a spy who simply changed her identity and went on to live as another person.

• Like 1

Perhaps, but keep in mind that TIGHAR rolls out some kind of "find" about this time every year in order to drive funding for their next expedition - you know, the one that's going to finally going to find the plane.

So far, they aren't very credible.

• Like 2

I tend to believe she did indeed crash & die there but of course TIGHAR are looking for more funds as ever.

I'm not buying this. An above poster is correct that every few years they "solve" this mystery. To me it's inconclusive. I've heard this story a dozen times. Need more proof and skeletal remains matching her DNA. Except the coconut crabs got to her right??

Here's a link to an article, with a newer picture of the fragment.

http://www.philly.co...snt_closed.html

Pretty

http://io9.com/did-coconut-crabs-really-hide-amelia-earharts-remains-1571944416

http://news.discovery.com/history/us-history/amelia-earhart-castaway-clues-island.htm

It is a nice looking island except for the lack of fresh water. Maybe some floating solar distillers. Some win turbines and H2 tidal generators would not hurt either.

70.12.jpeg

I have to agree with rafterman on this one a piece of the orig aircraft out in the weather would be really close to 90% disloved into alumin-powder !

I guess they will have to find the remains of the aircraft or her bones to prove their case irrefutably.

• Like 1

Perhaps, but keep in mind that TIGHAR rolls out some kind of "find" about this time every year in order to drive funding for their next expedition - you know, the one that's going to finally going to find the plane.

So far, they aren't very credible.

Yeah, and I read about that scrap of metal at least a year or two ago, and the exact same claim. It's not like the island was pristine. There was plenty of human activity there for over two decades.

Considering the fragment was found in 1991 and Gillespie held a press conference in 1992 claiming the exact same things, one wonders if his current announcement saying essentially the very same things is an act desperation. http://www.msn.com/e...j8?ocid=U147DHP

Edited by Hammerclaw

I don't know why, but this is an unexplained mystery that I'd be somehow disappointed if it was finally explained.

I'd rather imagine her happily flying along, blissfully forever.

• Like 1

I'm not buying this. An above poster is correct that every few years they "solve" this mystery. To me it's inconclusive. I've heard this story a dozen times. Need more proof and skeletal remains matching her DNA. Except the coconut crabs got to her right??

I'm buying it. Of course not 100%, but there isn't anything that really doesn't line up. The place and the piece all fit the puzzle well. We'll see if this leads to anything else.

Maybe they could get James Cameron to check out the area for the rest of the plane. He has all the toys to do it with.

Aluminum doesn't corrode easily unless it's in contact with another metal such as copper, so the scrap could still be very viable for identification purposes.I'd like to think she survived and lived out her life on an island, but that's doubtful.

Maybe they could get James Cameron to check out the area for the rest of the plane. He has all the toys to do it with.

Yeah... as long as he doesn't make an awful movie out of it!