Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Murder of Hae Min Lee

petermattson

The hearing to determine whether Adnan Syed would get another Trial happened last month and the Judge will come out with his ruling soon, I hope!

http://abcnews.go.com/US/adnan-syed-serial-retrial-decision-looms/story?id=38658329

I personally think that he is guilty. Yes Jay's story is strange, but, he knew where Hae's car was. I think he was heavily involved, hence why his story keeps changing, but I think Syed killed her.

^ "A ruling soon"?

It's clear that you aren't familiar with the process. My call is that it'll be at least a year before a ruling and likely longer.

• 1 month later...

I guess its clear that I'm not so unfamiliar after all! Within a month and a half of my post a decision has been made! Look at that! Shocker!

Thanks for the update, Petermattson.

Well, it'll be interesting to see how events unfold, however- since I think he's guilty, my heart goes out to the victim family.

• 1 year later...

"Maryland's second-highest court has ruled that Adnan Syed, whose murder conviction served as subject of the hit podcast Serial, deserves a new trial. The decision issued Thursday by the Court of Special Appeals upheld a lower-court ruling that Syed's counsel in his original murder trial was deficient and ineffective.

In its opinion Thursday, the three-judge panel affirmed that the defense team's "deficient performance prejudiced Syed's defense," explaining that his counsel failed to contact a potential witness whose alibi could "have raised a reasonable doubt in the mind of at least one juror."

The ruling upholds a previous decision to vacate Syed's 2000 conviction for the murder of his former girlfriend Hae Min Lee and remands the case back to Maryland's circuit court, where he would be retried. But it remains a possibility that prosecutors will appeal Thursday's decision to Maryland's highest court, the Court of Appeals."

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/03/29/598001941/serial-subject-adnan-syed-deserves-a-new-trial-appeals-court-rules