Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

12 Yr Old with Air Gun Shot Dead by Police

libstaK

I still think the focus is wrong. The focus shouldn't be on what a 12 year old did to get himself shot (while playing with a toy in a park). It should be about why there are toy guns that look so real that a kid can get shot playing with them, and why cops aren't aware of these toys and looking out for them. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

Wearing hoodies is a crime?

Wearing a Hoodie makes it quite difficult to distinguish age.

Pertaining to, " a 12 year old " question.

1 minute ago, Sakari said:

So...no kid should wear a hoodie in a "bad neighborhood." 

I don't remember as a 12 year old thinking about the neighborhood I lived in and whether or not it was "bad." I certainly didn't think anything I wore or played with might contribute to my death. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sakari said:

It doesnt look like he has the hood on in the video. 

1 minute ago, ChaosRose said:

So...no kid should wear a hoodie in a "bad neighborhood." 

I don't remember as a 12 year old thinking about the neighborhood I lived in and whether or not it was "bad." I certainly didn't think anything I wore or played with might contribute to my death. 

Oh Boy.....

First : I posted something to the effect of " if an idiot waves a gun around at people threatening them......"

Then you quoted that and said : " A 12 year old " ?

In response, I stated that he was wearing a Hoodie, making it impossible to distinguish his age. Basically, answering you on the " a 12 year old " comment.....

So, yes, a 12 year old.

• Like 1

Just now, Sakari said:

Oh Boy.....

First : I posted something to the effect of " if an idiot waves a gun around at people threatening them......"

Then you quoted that and said : " A 12 year old " ?

In response, I stated that he was wearing a Hoodie, making it impossible to distinguish his age. Basically, answering you on the " a 12 year old " comment.....

So, yes, a 12 year old.

Yes he was wearing a hoodie but he did not have the hood up to make his age hard to distinguish. 

1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

It doesnt look like he has the hood on in the video. 

he was not even holding the gun when cops pulled up either, nor they had lights on

• Like 1

And...As said, this topic is going on 2 years.......The kid is dead, the Police not charged......Old News.

dead Horse.......
I am done with it.

How+about+a+cow+_e7a76b5e8e6d05b20b3d439

brick_wall.jpg

11 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

Clearly neither of you watched the video in the link. Yes your overall points about gun control in these nations vs in the US make sense  and they are valid in the overall discussion but they are irrelevant to the link I posted. 

If you watch the video its the exact same situation as what happened in Cleveland. Police receive report of a man with a gun. The subject is a scared kid who acts stupidly. The difference is the police didnt shoot him without actually investigating and they discovered he was a kid with a toy. 

I did watch the video and I even gave a possible explanation on to maybe why the difference in reaction. Clearly you did not read my entire post :lol:

Sakari, yes, this occurred two years ago, but this is a discussion forum. So if people want to continue to discuss it, no harm. My own favorite topic for discussion is ancient Egypt. which is why I spend most of my time in the Alternative History forum to discuss and debate the ever-present woo factor that infects ancient civilizations. Now, ancient Egypt existed a little more than two years ago, yet I don't tire of discussing it.

Farmer's fear and loathing of the police aside, people expressing disbelief that this happened to a 12 year old may not live in big cities. Or if they do, they're not familiar with the areas of their cities that have a lot of problems. I live in Chicago, but luckily in a decent northside neighborhood largely free of crime. Certain areas of the south and west sides are war zones. And as anyone who's lived in a huge city like Chicago knows, there are gangs who have members 12 years old and even younger. It's disturbing but it is fact.

These gangs are vicious. They're a malignancy on society. Personally—and I genuinely feel this way—I think they should be officially classified as domestic terrorists. They are far, far more of an immediate and deadly threat to people such as I than ISIS or al Qaeda.

The death of this boy was tragic. The death of any child is tragic. Unfortunately kids this young are often indoctrinated into gangs because their older brothers are members. In other cases, as disturbing as this is to me, it's because their fathers are members. And in far too many cases (including here in Chicago), a young kid might have nothing to do with a gang but is gunned down because the vermin in an opposing gang were spraying bullets hoping to kill that older brother or father. Just a few days ago, here in Chicago, it was a six-year-old girl sitting on her porch. She was shot in the stomach but, thank God, survived and is already back home.

I've know cops all my life. Others may know cops and have learned differently, but from what I've been told by those I've known, cops are trained to shoot to kill—to stop the threat immediately. Aiming for an arm or a leg is the stuff of television drama.

Editing to add: Sakari, I love that cow clip. Haven't seen that one before.

Edited by kmt_sesh
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Sakari said:

But in an entirely different country,( and neighborhood, and situation ) as they replied to you. Apples to oranges.

If you have to re-hash old news to try to make all cops look bad, because no new " stories " are out for you....Maybe, just maybe, all cops are not bad farmer?

Or, you could always move to the UK, where all cops are GREAAAAAT !

Oh wait Farmer.....Maybe you should research Jean Charles de Menezes .

Or, maybe this also?

Britain's Police Are Now A Bigger Threat Than The Terrorists
http://www.vernoncoleman.com/britainspolicearenow.htm

I guess I was wrong. Don't move to the UK.....All Cops there are murderers also. Looks like we have no where to run to.....

Despite your link being over 10 years old, it resonates somewhat with the discussion about police violence. 

The incident with the Brazilian man shot by British police was what can happen when authorities are on such a high state of alert it borders on paranoia. It's noteworthy that despite the link's fears for the future, they did not eventuate. British police do not shoot to kill (ask questions later) as they did in that case.

Seems to me that at least some of these police shootings in America are caused by the same kind of heightened sense of threat. Where I live, if I reach for my license no police officer is going to fear I'm going for a weapon. I don't believe it's hatred or racism that causes police to shoot - it's fear.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

Clearly neither of you watched the video in the link. Yes your overall points about gun control in these nations vs in the US make sense  and they are valid in the overall discussion but they are irrelevant to the link I posted. 

If you watch the video its the exact same situation as what happened in Cleveland. Police receive report of a man with a gun. The subject is a scared kid who acts stupidly. The difference is the police didnt shoot him without actually investigating and they discovered he was a kid with a toy. 

Cleveland is still in the states as far as I know. So you still have the same culture, the same mentality. Sure, there are individuals that take advantage of their position. That happens everywhere, even farmers mate. But I think that you need more than "them" to change in order to really have an impact. Pointing the finger makes things worse. Somebody has to make that first approach and show goodwill in order for it to proceed and initiate that relationship. If a policeman has an equal chance of being shot, I can see why many are edgy, and how certain individuals might take advantage of that situation. You need to remove the "advantage" I would think. And that would take a drastic measure, like Gun Control. I do not condone the behaviour, officials need a watchdog too, I recognise that need, but cool heads will prevail, not retaliation.

Edited by psyche101

12 hours ago, Sakari said:

I guess I was wrong. Don't move to the UK.....All Cops there are murderers also. Looks like we have no where to run to.....

Canada. I hear they're very civilized. The police there hand out big slices of pizza with Canadian bacon.

• Like 4