Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gilgo Beach Serial Killer

BrooklynGuy

wow, thats all i can say, WOW off to do some reading on this one ! would love to know the doe network id or case number of the unidentified asian male

mainmap.jpg?w=680&h=496&crop=1

Edited by CuriousLittleOne
  • Like 1

I really don't watch too many docs for the info. I'm more of a reader, but the doc does interest me nonetheless as its one I haven't seen yet.

I enjoyed Kolker's book which had a lot of info about what happened to the last 4 victims. I've read endless news articles, blogs etc but those can be misleading so I don't put much weight into them. The info I get about the girls that is lesser known come from a few sites that I'll try to post the links of here - will have to go through all my bookmarks and grab what might interests everyone from the standpoint of it being info that isn't as widely publicized. Might take me a bit.

For now ( I'm having trouble finding links for some specific things I thought would interest everyone) I'll share this awesome article. It was written before Shannan was found but all of the family members are interviewed together in this and there is detailed character info about the victims. It picks up really on page 2 when Maureen Brainard Barnes is brought up. Ie)

"Most of Maureen’s friends and family knew what she was doing in New York. “We all had a kind of idea about it, but we didn’t want to actually think of it,” says her sister, Melissa Cann. “No one could keep Maureen from doing something she wanted to do.” While in New York, Maureen would call friends on her cell phone, sometimes just to chat, other times asking them to refresh her Craigslist ad so it would be at the top of the page again. A friend says much of what she made would go to pot and cocaine.

The weekend she disappeared, Maureen had taken the train into the city with friends, but she left them once she got to Manhattan. Cann says her sister usually worked from a hotel room and never saw johns at their places. Maureen was adamant about working only in Manhattan and never said anything to Cann about working in Long Island. At one point that weekend, Maureen called a friend from the Port Authority and said she’d been robbed of all the money she’d earned. She needed a ride home, but the friend couldn’t come get her. After that call, no one heard from Maureen again. For three years, the NYPD had reported no trace of her—except, in 2008, for one cell-phone-signal ping off a Long Island tower, just a few miles from Gilgo Beach. “Someone was trying to access Maureen’s cell-phone voice-mail,” Cann says. When she saw the news about Gilgo Beach, Cann knew Maureen had to be one of the bodies."

http://nymag.com/news/features/long-island-serial-killer-families-2011-6/

Edited by WildFlower30

I'm not that familar with this case,and from what little i have read about it,i think there's a lot of unanswered questions regarding the case..I wonder how the killer was able to listen to voicemail,if any of the victims had a password on their phone in order to check their mail? Also,WHO had been paying the monthly phone bill? The killer tried using a phone 3 years later..Who had been paying her bill? I also read that LE actually has the killer's voice on tape..If true,i wonder why LE has yet to play that voice over the radio and tv stations and see if anyone recognizes the voice..Kinda makes me think LE already has a prime suspect,but are being hush-hush about it..

• Like 1

I'm not that familar with this case,and from what little i have read about it,i think there's a lot of unanswered questions regarding the case..I wonder how the killer was able to listen to voicemail,if any of the victims had a password on their phone in order to check their mail? Also,WHO had been paying the monthly phone bill? The killer tried using a phone 3 years later..Who had been paying her bill? I also read that LE actually has the killer's voice on tape..If true,i wonder why LE has yet to play that voice over the radio and tv stations and see if anyone recognizes the voice..Kinda makes me think LE already has a prime suspect,but are being hush-hush about it..

I know that LE won't play the tape publicly bc there is info on it that only the killer would know and they don't want people coming forward falsely claiming to be the killer (it happens) with info only the killer would know. We do know that he was described as sounding like he was an adult white male in his 30s-40s. Some contents of the call have been spoken of, but not all. It's something that should be secret so that the police can use it to compare to any potential confession of the killer IF he is ever apprehended.

Your question about the voicemail password has puzzled me for some time as well. Some phones may not require a password if you are accessing the voicemail

Directly from it. I'll have to look it up. LMK if you find anything on that.

I think the bills were still being paid by the mothers and sisters of some victims when they were missing in hopes that they would use it in the future to get back in touch. The girls were still missing when the calls were made.

Edited by WildFlower30

Here's an article about him.

http://www.ibtimes.c...cide-652939cide

Oh, I'm so sorry! That was just the first episode in a series of 7!

I came across that program not that long ago (and it was surprisingly hard to find when I went to look for it last night!) but this morn., I went back through all 7 and found two places where the torture aspect comes up.

Now one former LE official does state that there "very well" might have been torture, and it sounds like an opinion strongly supported by several pieces of evidence, including the sadistic nature of the phone calls made by the killer to Melissa's little sister.

That's in episode 6 @ about 39:00.

Former police commissioner Dormer addresses the issue in episode 7 @ about 7:00.

Btw, the info. that that one man was ruled out is in episode 3 @ 26:24.

About that program as a whole, I was impatient throughout a lot of all of those episodes because of the repetition! I was also disappointed that the specific circumstances of the disappearance of the each of the identified victim's weren't discussed.

I was not speaking of Bitrolff. Was speaking of Jason Fleury.

Also the first link is dead. :( argh I'm

Having no luck today lol.

Hope you are well Reg! :)

I feel like it may have been more emotional/mental torture that he liked more so than mutilation based torture. I wish we knew if the prior victims were alive when dismembered - this would definitely support them being physically mutilated prior to death. From the way it sounds though they were most likely dismembered and tattoos removed after death.

Edited by WildFlower30

Maybe the voicemails just didn't have password protect on them. Some people remove it. Who knows, perhaps he attempted to check the voicemail on all the phones, but could only check the ones without password protect. I'm sure LE knows whether or not this happened.

But to the point made earlier about the perp possibly knowing the password to the voicemails - if so that means it could have been someone the women knew fairly well. Then again, it could just be that he gained access bc there was no password (or bc he forced the victim to tell him the password while torturing them as Regi has reinforced the torture aspect).

Edited by WildFlower30

I enjoyed Kolker's book which had a lot of info about what happened to the last 4 victims.

I read that book after our last discussion (I found it at my library) and I wasn't impressed with it because for one thing- the main thing for me- there wasn't much of anything about the evidence that I didn't already know. Of course, if I thought there was, I would have shared it.

The weekend she disappeared, Maureen had taken the train into the city with friends, but she left them once she got to Manhattan. Cann says her sister usually worked from a hotel room and never saw johns at their places. Maureen was adamant about working only in Manhattan and never said anything to Cann about working in Long Island. At one point that weekend, Maureen called a friend from the Port Authority and said she'd been robbed of all the money she'd earned. She needed a ride home, but the friend couldn't come get her. After that call, no one heard from Maureen again. For three years, the NYPD had reported no trace of her—except, in 2008, for one cell-phone-signal ping off a Long Island tower, just a few miles from Gilgo Beach. "Someone was trying to access Maureen's cell-phone voice-mail," Cann says. When she saw the news about Gilgo Beach, Cann knew Maureen had to be one of the bodies."

http://nymag.com/new...amilies-2011-6/

The info. from the book is that Maureen called her sister from Penn Station to ask if her brother-in-law could pick her up.

Re: the cell phone, the info. is that the ping was from a tower on Fire Island.

I wonder how the killer was able to listen to voicemail,if any of the victims had a password on their phone in order to check their mail?

I think it's possible that he got that info. from the victim.

I also read that LE actually has the killer's voice on tape..If true,i wonder why LE has yet to play that voice over the radio and tv stations and see if anyone recognizes the voice.

I agree with WildFlower.

It sounds to me like he provided details supported by evidence found at the discovery site(s).

Hope you are well Reg! :)

Thank you, I am. It's good to see you!

I was not speaking of Bitrolff. Was speaking of Jason Fleury.

Also the first link is dead. :(

Sorry about that. :td:

I haven't looked at Fleury, but I will.

From the way it sounds though they were most likely dismembered and tattoos removed after death.

Yeah, I think if this was one killer, I think he probably dismembered for 'practical' purposes such as to easier discard the body and also to maybe delay the discovery of the bodies and to hinder victim ID...

• Like 1

Wait what fire island ping??? Not fimiliar with that.

Is that the more specific location where they say the phone pinged near Gilgo Beach in 2008 when the phone was turned on a year after her death/disappearance?

Or did her phone ping the day she disappeared at fire island you mean? That would be good info and I haven't heard that if so.

--------

Yeah it's strange with this Fleury guy - reports say he is a trash man but when I look him up it says he is a commercial fisherman. In 97 (year after fire island legs) he was busted for a sex offense in VA. In the timeline it's interesting that we don't see victims for years after the fire island legs - about 4 years give or take. I find it interesting the Jessica Taylor was from Washington DC originally and wonder if maybe she has a geographic connection to Fleury (I wondered if the killer maybe lived near DC/VA or had connections there bc of Jessica but who knows). He also was busted for violating parole by not registering as a SO in Massachusetts and I need to check the year but remember it was significant when looking at the timeline.

Edited: " Fleury served six months in a house of correction for the 2007 conviction, according to a spokesperson for Essex District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett." I wish I knew when those 6 months were! We're they after Maureen was murdered? Could that explain why he laid low in 2008 and didn't murder? Did he have an ankle monitor (i don't think he did but if so maybe this has ruled him out)? I can't get much info about specific incarceration dates or charges. If not the Gilgo Beach Killer this Fleury guy has to be up to something just as nefarious.

http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=15509.0

They took his vehicle for evidence. He had scratches all over his arms and face. He is so creepily calm with proclaiming his innocence to the press even though it's obvious he is guilty of killing the Swampscott mother. He took her ID, Jacket, Cellphone and left them in an industrial park by some woods as momentos possibly (gives me chills bc I theorized maybe LISK kills in industrial areas or remote woods/parks). He threw away her other belongings in a dumpster possibly along with evidence (a piece of rug being one thing possibly from his vehicle? Wow). This link to the scared monkeys forum hits on the points of his probable connection to one victim and possible connection to two others (prostitutes dismembered and left in woods).

Edited by WildFlower30

Is that the more specific location where they say the phone pinged near Gilgo Beach in 2008 when the phone was turned on a year after her death/disappearance?

Yeah, it's more specific.

The info. (this is from that book, Lost Girls) is that a signal registered from a tower on Fire Island in '08, and that the area was searched with cadaver dogs but nothing was found.

Yeah it's strange with this Fleury guy - reports say he is a trash man but when I look him up it says he is a commercial fisherman. In 97 (year after fire island legs) he was busted for a sex offense in VA. In the timeline it's interesting that we don't see victims for years after the fire island legs - about 4 years give or take. I find it interesting the Jessica Taylor was from Washington DC originally and wonder if maybe she has a geographic connection to Fleury (I wondered if the killer maybe lived near DC/VA or had connections there bc of Jessica but who knows). He also was busted for violating parole by not registering as a SO in Massachusetts and I need to check the year but remember it was significant when looking at the timeline.

Edited: " Fleury served six months in a house of correction for the 2007 conviction, according to a spokesperson for Essex District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett." I wish I knew when those 6 months were! We're they after Maureen was murdered? Could that explain why he laid low in 2008 and didn't murder? Did he have an ankle monitor (i don't think he did but if so maybe this has ruled him out)? I can't get much info about specific incarceration dates or charges. If not the Gilgo Beach Killer this Fleury guy has to be up to something just as nefarious.

Well, the perp in this case was back and forth between Manhattan and Long Island....

Also, my impression is that he may not even have a criminal record...

The man I was speaking of- it was another poster who first brought him up- committed suicide and he was later investigated in this case and subsequently ruled out.

Dormer offers info. starting at about 26:24 in this video.

• Like 1

Coming from some one in the field of criminal justice, there isnt as much bureacracy as you would think. Actually if he had killed him self it would already be publicised because, that in its self is enough evidence to publicise it. In fact they really dont need much evidence at all to publicise a dead person, since they are dead.

:clap:

Police knew Gary Ridgeway was the Green River killer for FIFTEEN years and didn't let that information out until they had him dead to rights with the DNA evidence.

If the killer in the OP died a few years ago, but they can't quite prove it, they may choose to say nothing.

• Like 2

Oh goodness yes I remember now sorry - the guy who committed suicide. His name starts with an S... Ugh can't place it. Much of that was started by a team of people online who had a smear campaign against ex husbands and also locals that inserted themselves into the case without real credibility but amazing imaginations. from what I've looked into They are the same people who also believe a doctor in his 50's with a fake leg killed all the women. that CatchingLISK website, although annoying and inappropriate at times, investigated some things that debunked the theory of the guy who committed suicide being the Gilgo beach killer. Then again, who knows could have been him. I know that much banter about the case online has caused some people to seek fame and write books - any way to insert themselves into the case even if it means giving up false leads.

The sad thing about this Fleury guy is that almost all 22 charges against him were dismissed - makes one wonder just how many of his victims were not provided Justice bc he is such a calm smooth talker and liar in court. I'm willing to bet the majority of those dropped charged had prostitutes/street workers as the victims

And their rights were not valued unfortunately.

And this perp was going between VA and MA consistently - You pass straight through NY both ways. I agree it's more likely the killer is from NY, but due to the seasonal nature of the murders maybe he is from out of state and travels through/to NY in the summers. I looked up

To see commercial fishing seasons in MA and interesting enough they are limited many times from fishing there in the summers to allow the fish to swim to other ports. Just thoughts here. Just documenting thoughts.

Edited by WildFlower30
  • Like 1

Police knew Gary Ridgeway was the Green River killer for FIFTEEN years and didn't let that information out until they had him dead to rights with the DNA evidence.

Yes and that's what I worry might be going on with the Fleury guy. Even saw a news report in which he was singled out over All other sex offenders when he moved into a neighborhood in MA years ago, as if the police/media were indirectly saying "really guys, stay away from this one particularly."

Edited by WildFlower30

I agree it's more likely the killer is from NY, but due to the seasonal nature of the murders maybe he is from out of state and travels through/to NY in the summers. I looked up To see commercial fishing seasons in MA and interesting enough they are limited many times from fishing there in the summers to allow the fish to swim to other ports.

That's interesting! You know, it's funny some the things we end up learning about when we analyze these cases, right? In this case, I remember researching- of all things- burlap. :lol:

Btw, I don't think it's ever been clarified whether the bodies were wrapped in burlap or inside burlap bags... :hmm:

Indeed, the seasonal aspect has always been intriguing to me. I've observed that three of the dates are near holidays and all of the dates were at/around the weekend.

Edited by regi
  • Like 1

Yeah I still can't figure out if they were wrapped or in sacks. Most reports say wrapped, but a few say in sacks. It makes it impossible to know which one without a police/evidence report. :(

On another note, I found the book written by the father of Dr. Hackett (who Shannan's mother is convinced knows more about her death than he's letting on). For the longest time I questioned if the book even existed as I couldnt find record of it or a copy online (just a review on Amazon that seemed like maybe it was fake, but now may not be since I know the book really exists).

After much time researching and tracking this book down, I finally found it online. It is a 1st print 1 ed of the book "The Last Happy Hour" being sent in from a private book owner in New York. I will let you guys know if I find out anything interesting from the book. Informed Shannan's sister of the book and may be sending it to her if it indeed has character details about the Doc that are of interest (it's rumored The Doc's father taught him how to do many odd things)

Edited by WildFlower30

http://nypost.com/2015/01/03/4-years-17-victims-later-police-cant-catch-the-gilgo-beach-killer/ Most recent comprehensive article I found. Mentions burlap sacks.

Also:

"Police are fairly certain that he buried some bodies or stored them before dumping them, and it’s possible he only visits the area seasonally since the first four women who were found disappeared between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Could he be abducting his victims during the summer, then disposing of their corpses in winter, when few people are around? The first four victims vanished between three years and three months prior to their remains being discovered. But it’s unclear if the killer put them there all at once or over time."

Edited by WildFlower30

Found a woman in MA who's head and torso had been buried in the woods and burlap was possibly found with her body.

"On August 8, 2004, the remains of black female were found in a wooded area just behind the Plainville Truck stop. A Skull and a woman's toros were found buried in a shallow grave buried by either a blanket or a burlap. Law Enforcement estimates that she may have been between the ages of 25 to 35 years old and her height may have been between 4 foot 9 inches to 5 foot 3 inches. There was no answer as to how she died but she was placed there by someone. The victim may have also been bi-racial and been at the site for at least three to ten years."

She is still unidentified. The dismemberment and burlap - unidentified female who may have lived on fringes of society/prostitution - head and torso in woods. Hm. Would have been a year or so after Jessica Taylor that the body was recovered. Looks like she died between 94-2001 Perhaps she is one of his first victims or the fire island legs belong to her maybe?

http://www.ctcoldcases.com/Massachusetts.html

Fleury is making me look at Massachusetts close anyhow. This find startled me. Was it burlap or a blanket? Big difference cold case report! Argh!

Edited by WildFlower30

Found a woman in MA who's head and torso had been buried in the woods and burlap was possibly found with her body.

"On August 8, 2004, the remains of black female were found in a wooded area just behind the Plainville Truck stop. A Skull and a woman's toros were found buried in a shallow grave buried by either a blanket or a burlap. Law Enforcement estimates that she may have been between the ages of 25 to 35 years old and her height may have been between 4 foot 9 inches to 5 foot 3 inches. There was no answer as to how she died but she was placed there by someone. The victim may have also been bi-racial and been at the site for at least three to ten years."

She is still unidentified. The dismemberment and burlap - unidentified female who may have lived on fringes of society/prostitution - head and torso in woods. Hm. Would have been a year or so after Jessica Taylor that the body was recovered. Looks like she died between 94-2001 Perhaps she is one of his first victims or the fire island legs belong to her maybe?

http://www.ctcoldcases.com/Massachusetts.html

Fleury is making me look at CT/MA close anyhow. This find startled me. Was it burlap or a blanket? Big difference cold case report! Argh!

Edited by WildFlower30

"Police are fairly certain that he buried some bodies or stored them before dumping them, and it's possible he only visits the area seasonally since the first four women who were found disappeared between Memorial Day and Labor Day.

I wonder what the evidence is that "he buried some bodies or stored them". :huh: