Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dead Time

bbygirl559

Does any one think its true when they say things happen at Dead time witch is 3;00am ?

• Like 2

Dead Time is when the witches are about, Hubble Bubble toil and Trouble ,fires burn and Cauldrons Bubble.

• Like 2

I am a witch and I can honestly say, that unless I'm up doing a night feed (I have a 10 month old little boy) I'm fast asleep at 3am

• Like 4

Dead Time is when the witches are about, Hubble Bubble toil and Trouble ,fires burn and Cauldrons Bubble.

Fillet of a fenny snake,

In the caldron boil and bake;

Eye of newt, and toe of frog,

Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,

Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,

Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing,—

For a charm of powerful trouble,

Like a hell-broth boil and bubble

Season to taste and serve with crisp toast.

(Mrs.E's Winter-warmer Stew.)

• Like 3

Fillet of a fenny snake,

In the caldron boil and bake;

Eye of newt, and toe of frog,

Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,

Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,

Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing,—

For a charm of powerful trouble,

Like a hell-broth boil and bubble

Season to taste and serve with crisp toast.

(Mrs.E's Winter-warmer Stew.)

MacBeths Witches knew how to make a good stew.
  • Like 1

I've heard of bad things happening at 3am and overall that 3 is a demonic type number. For instance on certain ghost shows they will say demonic entities will knock 3 types to mock the holy trinity. I don't have any personal experience with this and obviously there's no scientific data which can back it up either.

• Like 5

I've heard of bad things happening at 3am and overall that 3 is a demonic type number. For instance on certain ghost shows they will say demonic entities will knock 3 types to mock the holy trinity. I don't have any personal experience with this and obviously there's no scientific data which can back it up either.

I hear you knocking...but you can't come in. Knock 3 times on the ceiling if you want me.
  • Like 5

There are superstitions about almost every number there is. In Japan, for example, you should never gift someone something that contents of four pieces, because of the Japanese word shi for for, which also means death. Does it really mean anything? I don't think so.

There are superstitions about almost every number there is. In Japan, for example, you should never gift someone something that contents of four pieces, because of the Japanese word shi for for, which also means death. Does it really mean anything? I don't think so.

The Hong Kong Chinese consider Number 4 as the ultimate lucky number.
  • Like 1

It has been my personal experience that there are entities that prefer it to be dark. I don't think it matters at all to them what time it is.

Three is a magic number. Schoolhouse Rock said so.

All joking aside, not everything living or dead has been or ever was a Christian, so the Trinity might not even mean anything to whatever it is that's trying to get your attention. Not to say that there couldn't be entities who would use whatever was at their disposal to scare someone, if that was their intent. But sometimes a knock is just a knock. It's a way of making itself known.

Edited by ChaosRose

Yeah all those creepy infomercial guys..lol. Just playing It feels strange around 2 for me.

• Like 1

Does any one think its true when they say things happen at Dead time witch is 3;00am ?

Well if it is, then supernatural entities have a very keen awareness of modern time keeping practices.

• Like 1

I was awake at 3:00 am last night (this morning). Nothing unusual happened, aside from me having one of those nights where you just can't get your brain to turn off. I finally fell asleep between 4:30 and 5.

On a related question, is 3:00 in the afternoon an unusually supernatural time?

Three is a magic number. Schoolhouse Rock said so.

All joking aside, not everything living or dead has been or ever was a Christian, so the Trinity might not even mean anything to whatever it is that's trying to get your attention. Not to say that there couldn't be entities who would use whatever was at their disposal to scare someone, if that was their intent. But sometimes a knock is just a knock. It's a way of making itself known.

Three is a holy number in more than just Christianity. You have the Hindu Trinity of Shiva, Vishnu, and Brahma, there are ancient Greek treatises on the perfection of the triangle, the perfect pizza has three kinds of meat...

• Like 2

I'm not sure which "they" you are referring to- witches?

However, I think there is a dead time of night. It's when most of the day creatures are fast asleep, and the nocturnal ones are at their quietest. This is probably because it's getting to be pre-dawn time a lot of the time, so the nocturnal creatures are wrapping up their activities or already heading back to their beds for a days slumber. So there is a time of night where all seems at it's quietest, or the dead time.

The 3 AM notion of dead time I think is a more modern notion. 3 is a magic number to some folks, and 3 AM is usually right smack dab in the middle of dead time. But in a very real way, magic and spooky critters would have to be rather aware of modern timekeeping to be able to utilize 3 AM. Like right were a time zone changes, a ghost shows up on one side of the street an hour off than the other side of the street? Not likely. Or places with daylight savings, that demon would have to keep track of spring ahead/fall back rules, as well as being aware that some areas don't participate in daylight savings, though the area around it does. Or that some places that used to not participate now do, like Indianapolis.

So, I think 3 AM being dead time has resulted from a natural dead time being manifested in a hyper-awareness of modern timekeeping with folklore intent.

• Like 2

The concept of "X happening at Y time" makes very little sense, unless such entities are younger than modern timekeeping processes. However, considering that many of these urban legends are just modern versions of much older superstition, even if some entity or malevolent supernatural force did exist (they don't), then it is rather convenient that they choose to do their thing in the least regular time period observed in the western world. But, since it is nothing but a story, it makes sense that it'd be at a "mysterious" time of day, since having 4pm scary-time is a much harder sell.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the time of night between 01:00 and 04:00.

Never been a good sleeper and often stay awake very late, sometimes all night. It's great in the middle of the night - as a teenager I used to sneak out my parents house and walk around the villages and woods, smoking and listening to my Walkman. So still and peaceful. I still like watching TV or playing games until, nipping out into the garden every now and then to get my cigarette and quiet-ness fix.

It wasn't until my later days that I completely gave up on the idea of ghosts, spooky things and such nonsense. But even in my more fantastically-minded youth I never found anything sinister or unnerving about the middle of the night.

So, in conclusion, it's all a bunch of rubbish, lol.

• Like 1

I've heard of bad things happening at 3am and overall that 3 is a demonic type number.

I've heard of bad things happening at every single time in the day.

What is a 'demonic type number'? Why would 3 arbitrary human made time units after midnight cause bad things to happen? Why not 3 minutes after midnight? Or in the 3rd month of the year? Or the 3rd week of every month? Or years with 3 at the end? Etc. etc. In past civilizations that didn't use hours, or before the hour became a standard time unit, did bad things still happen at 3am or did they happen at 3 other arbitrary time units after midnight? Is daylight savings time taken into account? Time zones? If a mile away from you is in a different time zone, will the people there experience demonic activity exactly an hour before or after you because their clocks are set differently?

This claim pops up on these forums all the time and it's never made a lick of sense to me on any level.

Has anyone ever actually demonstrated that there is anything to this other than a currently popular urban legend?

I'm nearly always active at 3am (been a night owl all my life) and I've never notice anything odd or bad about it. In fact, like Jamie above, I find it a nice quiet peaceful time. If it's clear night, sometimes I like to go for a walk and find a nice dark spot, sit down and just stare at the night sky. It's wonderful.

Edited by JesseCuster