Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Prof. Hawkin: Space travel could save mankind

Still Waters

Aggression should be weeded out from the human race as it "threatens to destroy us all", world-renowned physicist Prof Stephen Hawking has warned - while space travel could save the human race.

Hawking suggested that the future of mankind was dependent on space exploration, and predicted that one day humans would establish colonies on other planets.

http://www.itv.com/n...-kill-us-first/

• Like 2

Dr Hawking also thinks that there might be hostile alien races 'out there' that could spell our demise. Seems a bit contradictory...do we just 'lay low' or 'boldly go where no man has gone before'?

• Like 4

I guess we have to go into space regardless of any danger that may be lurking in a distant star system so we had better solve our little problems here and work as one species for survival.

• Like 2

Has he taken a real good look at the human race lately?

Do we really want to export mankind?

Would any extraterrestrial people, should there be any really want us moving in next door?

I think humanity has a very long way to go before we spread our seed off planet.

Edited by Socio
  • Like 1

Dr Hawking also thinks that there might be hostile alien races 'out there' that could spell our demise. Seems a bit contradictory...do we just 'lay low' or 'boldly go where no man has gone before'?

....we could take nice presents?!?

Yes, space, we need more space. I agree with him, but we must adapt to space. We may end up as the Borg.

Edited by GreenmansGod

Would any extraterrestrial people, should there be any really want us moving in next door?

I think humanity has a very long way to go before we spread our seed off planet

The general impulse of humanity to spread, including the will to spread outside our current habitat, will not get limited and/or

influenced by thoughts as mentioned. The impuls to spread is linked in our DNA and even if a percentage of individuals do

not support the idea, the trend itself will persist.

• Like 3

Well while hawking contradicts himself, he wants to be thinking up ways to stop the human body from wasting away on long space trips, while surviving non stop radiation

• Like 1

Well while hawking contradicts himself, he wants to be thinking up ways to stop the human body from wasting away on long space trips, while surviving non stop radiation

He is a theoretical physicist, I don't think medical is his forte. I think someday, if we last long enough, we figure out how to do it. There is much work to be done, though.

• Like 1

First of all we need the technology for space travel. It was a challenge to get our own moon

and only managed to send a few probes into space.. In the meantime, we're at the mercy.

• Like 1

I am actually getting a bit sick of Hawking rubbish. The TV docos about his ideas and they way they present them are often ludicrous . Now, is that him, or the translation ?

One, he actually did really bad in. I thought, 'that cant be right it doesnt even follow a logical progression. I was talking about to a (liberal, non Scientism) physicist , and pointed out the flaw in logic and added how I thought it should have been explained (thinking I was in for chastisement ) and he said ' Yes, I think you have it'.

IT was to do with Hawkins botched attempt at explaining E=MC2 and 'dark matter' ... it was a really botched attempt, even I could see the reasoning faults in it.

Now this. humanity continuing its 'survival' off planet ....

pffffft !

I think humanity has a very long way to go before we spread our seed off planet.

like like like like

....we could take nice presents?!?

Yeah ... like the British did when they came here; guns, smallpox, blankets infected with disease, beer and flour with poison in it.

Onward ho !

• Like 1

He is a theoretical physicist, I don't think medical is his forte. I think someday, if we last long enough, we figure out how to do it. There is much work to be done, though.

and in the meantime they can make money off tv space docos and running ideas like this to get more funding due to 'public interest' ;)

he is a physicist (and not a weary good one some of hes stuff is just rubbish but people seem to think that he is smart so whatever)so isn't a psychologist clearly (psychologist to say that we will destroy our salves clearly to say that he thinks that colonizing other planets will change that lol like we cant do that on mars for example)

It's not a contradiction.

If we all stay here, so much easier are we to wipe out.

Fits right in with his other deal.

Harte

• Like 3

They can already use techniques that rebuild bone, and electrodes that can stimulate muscles. All they need to do is improve on the hibernation technology, maybe combined with that liquid that can be breathed, and use nanites to build a electrical grid throughout the body, which like with a pacemaker will twitch the body to maintain muscle strength. It could be done with technology now available. Not all together and not in the form I'm suggesting, but the base technologies already exist.

• Like 2

They can already use techniques that rebuild bone, and electrodes that can stimulate muscles. All they need to do is improve on the hibernation technology, maybe combined with that liquid that can be breathed, and use nanites to build a electrical grid throughout the body, which like with a pacemaker will twitch the body to maintain muscle strength. It could be done with technology now available. Not all together and not in the form I'm suggesting, but the base technologies already exist.

Fair enough. But the radiation?

• Like 1

Fair enough. But the radiation?

I agree, we are far away from traveling between the planets, much less between the stars but you have to start at some time and I think it s now, These ridiculous wars based on religion are absurd and should have ended centuries ago.

• Like 4

I agree, we are far away from traveling between the planets, much less between the stars but you have to start at some time and I think it s now, These ridiculous wars based on religion are absurd and should have ended centuries ago.

Yes, we should fight only over resources and vengeance.

• Like 1

Yes, we should fight only over resources and vengeance.

We should fight to get off this planet and use the resources the solar system offers. That is what I want. Wars are wasteful,

• Like 4

We should fight to get off this planet and use the resources the solar system offers. That is what I want. Wars are wasteful,

I agree. I posted in another thread that even one large metallic asteroid could provide the equivalent of a million years of industrial resources at 2014 usage rates. If we were to get out there and build, we'd have resources and energy (solar) all over the place.

• Like 1

We'll just step up a notch:

Intergalactic wars over Alien religion. :yes:

But I believe Hawking is correct.

I don't see humans living on the Earth past 2,700.

I do agree that mankind will will need to colonize some other planets sooner or later. But that won't be for a long time, heck, I would be long dead and forgotten by the time they do have the means to survive in space.