Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Potion Found In Manuscript Kills MRSA

susieice

A Medival remedy composed of cow bile and garlic has been found to kill the superbug MRSA, a common antibiotic resistant bacteria found in hospitals. Microbiologist hope to test it on humans.

http://www.telegraph...kills-MRSA.html

Edited by susieice
  • Like 8

Wow, this is amazing news! It could open a whole new line of attacking these superbugs but I'd like to see it in something peer reviewed before hopping for joy.

• Like 4

That News source limits the amount of views I can make per month and I havnt been able to view anything from it for over 2 weeks...

Heres another link, no limits http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-32117815

...and isnt that just amazing...I wonder what else it kills....

• Like 1

That News source limits the amount of views I can make per month and I havnt been able to view anything from it for over 2 weeks...

Heres another link, no limits http://www.bbc.com/n...mshire-32117815

...and isnt that just amazing...I wonder what else it kills....

Natural poisons are no less poisonous than laboratory made poisons... it all depends on the concentration.

• Like 1

http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/a-10th-century-recipe-for-eye-infections-has-tested-more-effective-than-modern-day-antibiotics/story-fnjwl1aw-1227285954684

A REVOLTING treatment from the 10th Century is being touted as more effective against antibiotic-resistant infections than contemporary medicine.

The Anglo-Saxon recipe — made up of onion, wine, garlic and bile taken from a cow’s stomach, and used to cure eye infections during the Dark Ages — could hold the key to curing the Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infection, a bacteria that is resistant to many antibiotics and can cause life-threatening bloodstream infections, pneumonia and surgical site infections.

• Like 2

I started reading the ingredients, thinking it didn't sound that bad, then I saw the last one. Ick.

• Like 1

i can only imagne how much knowledge we lost about old school medecine. and how much we overestimate modern medicine.

archeologists found ancient roman tool for removing a cataract from a persons eye, and it looks, and functions very much like modern tool for the same purpose.

• Like 4

"I wonder who went first on that one? Probably the new guy."

Matt Damon in "The Informant"

Not going back quite so far......My grandparents use to make me gargle TCP and chew on garlic cloves!

Never had a cold until i left home! (Or a girlfiend)

• Like 1

So they want to make a drug from it? Why can't they just share the recipe? Oh yeah, because it's about making money rather than saving lives. Nothing new here.

• Like 3

What was old and discarded is new again! Ain't nature wonderful! It's going to be hard for the Pharma companies to make huge percent profits on this one.

• Like 1

What was old and discarded is new again! Ain't nature wonderful! It's going to be hard for the Pharma companies to make huge percent profits on this one.

$2000 an ounce for a salve made from cow poo and onions. Big Pharma will find a way I'm sure.

• Like 3

$2000 an ounce for a salve made from cow poo and onions. Big Pharma will find a way I'm sure.

You got that right LOL

They will say drug is better than herbals etc because their potentency is not consistant with each batch and is not regulated.

This little alchemy of old sounds a lot like the new surgeries of transplanting bile from healthy person to someone with inflamatory bowel disease etc. Probably the same microbs at work, add the good gut flora back to what was lost by modern antibiotics and drugs killing off the good ones necessary for health with the bad bacteria. Oat bran, they had no clue why it works for those health nuts, until they realized it feeds the good bateria which produce good chemistry for people and lowering choelestrol etc, unlike meat diet that lets good bacteria starve. I remember when a science magazine made discovery about an old Jewish chicken soup recipe when they tested it. The sweet potatoe, turnip, onions, garlic, herbs, bone in chicken etc blended and actually created an antibiotic, I think it was tetracycline as well as being nutritious. Not like the chicken walked through the soup kind we get in the can processed . .

Moral of the story don't laugh at those old remedies that work even if you don't know exactly why it does.

Edited by White Unicorn
  • Like 3

and the governments have conspired again against again the citizens declaring homeopathy not satisfactory trying to make it illegal, of course to encourage pharmaceutical companies .

Edited by qxcontinuum
  • Like 1

I started reading the ingredients, thinking it didn't sound that bad, then I saw the last one. Ick.

Judging by the posts in this thread, you may have the wrong idea here. I know several others do.

Bile

This stuff isn't even intestinal, much less poop.

Bile of various sources has been used in medicines for quite some time, though not by the Pharma industry, as far as I know.

Chinese Bear bile

Ox bile alternative medicine

Also, I don't see anyone keeping this a secret.

You want to fix up a batch? Anyone have one of these "superbugs" and need some bile mixture?

Harte

• Like 1

and the governments have conspired again against again the citizens declaring homeopathy not satisfactory trying to make it illegal, of course to encourage pharmaceutical companies .

This isn't homeopathy. Homeopathy is complete BS and a pathetic waste of time.

• Like 4

Judging by the posts in this thread, you may have the wrong idea here. I know several others do.

Bile

This stuff isn't even intestinal, much less poop.

Bile of various sources has been used in medicines for quite some time, though not by the Pharma industry, as far as I know.

Chinese Bear bile

Ox bile alternative medicine

Also, I don't see anyone keeping this a secret.

You want to fix up a batch? Anyone have one of these "superbugs" and need some bile mixture?

Harte

Nah, I know what bile is...all too well. I had gallstones and before my gallbladder was removed I had more experiences with bile than I care to recall. That's the main reason for my aversion :)

Yes those are the ingredients but what are the amounts of each? It doesn't say. It also says that the recipe has to be followed exactly. Soooo...there goes the pharmaceutical Co.'s making their money again.

What exactly is wrong with a pharmacy company making money? What do you think they do with that money? They spend it on R&D and testing of new drugs that cost millions or billions to develop and see through the approval process. "Big Pharma" (said w/ disgust and derision) has made miraculous drugs and cures over the years that have saved millions upon millions of lives. Maybe they aren't perfect but I do know one way to completely screw it up, turn it over to the government (who already add so much to the cost on new drugs with the massive testing they require before approval) and that will be the end of new drugs and also double the cost of the drugs we have.

You hate big pharma, fine, give us an alternative?

Edited by Merc14

Yes those are the ingredients but what are the amounts of each? It doesn't say. It also says that the recipe has to be followed exactly. Soooo...there goes the pharmaceutical Co.'s making their money again.

The recipe itself doesn't state the amounts.

What you are reading is the direct quote from the old book.

You are welcome to mix up variations yourself and run your own tests and see which concentrations have the most efficacy. This part of the procedure is very expensive, however, which is why normal people leave it to drug companies and their deep pockets.

If you are unwilling to do this yourself, then you don't have any right or reason to whine about "Big Pharma" like you have such a penchant for doing.

Harte

From the article:

To the surprise and excitement of researchers, a ninth century Anglo-Saxon treatment for eye infections has been used successfully to kill tenacious bacteria cultures. The ancient remedy consisting of onion, garlic, cow bile and wine might be an effective weapon against modern antibiotic-resistant superbugs such as MRSA.

Scientists from the University of Nottingham’s Center for Biomolecular Sciences, UK, and Anglo-Saxon expert Dr. Christina Lee worked together to create the 1,000-year-old remedy found in Bald’s Leechbook, (also known as Medicinale Anglicum) a medical text written in Old English believed to be one of the earliest-known books of medical advice.

• Like 1

Medieval recipes are always vague, that's part of their charm. :tu:

I'm a "natural" cure proponent myself, though I prefer to trust the wisdom of the pharmaceutical researchers on something as deadly as MRSA.

This article from Pharmacy Times has a more in-depth look at the methods used to test the potion recipe. I was surprised that the brass container itself was an important part of the concoction:

"Brass is a metal made up of mostly zinc and copper, the latter of which has long been recognized as possessing antimicrobial activity."

http://www.pharmacytimes.com/contributor/monica-v-golik-mahoney-pharmd-bcps-aq-id/2015/04/ancient-recipe-may-burst-the-mrsa-bubble