Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Enceladus' ocean is similar to lakes on Earth

UM-Bot

The subsurface ocean on Saturn's moon is very similar to life-bearing salt lakes on our own planet.

The recent discovery of a liquid ocean beneath the icy crust of Enceladus has opened up the door to the possibility of finding extraterrestrial microbial life there and now scientists believe that this freezing moon may even be home to water that is not dissimilar to that found in some of the lakes on Earth.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/281360/enceladus-ocean-is-similar-to-lakes-on-earth

• Like 2

It's a pity that the ocean may be so saline, in some of Earth's saline environments only a few species of bacteria exist, though in vast numbers. But who knows what may await, it's very cool to think we may yet find alien life?

• Like 2

Proto-cell, single cell prokaryote, eukaryote... of course, that's assuming it's DNA based, and that DNA (or RNA, I guess) is based around the same nucleotides we know and love. While GFAJ-1 turned out to be a bust, is it actually impossible? Next stop, Enceladus!

• Like 3

Proto-cell, single cell prokaryote, eukaryote... of course, that's assuming it's DNA based, and that DNA (or RNA, I guess) is based around the same nucleotides we know and love. While GFAJ-1 turned out to be a bust, is it actually impossible? Next stop, Enceladus!

There's also Europa!

• Like 2

My opinion is that if we do NOT find life on the various icy moons/asteroids, then we plant our own Earth based life there, in the form of extremeophile organisms. In the off chance we kill ourselves off, then at least life will still be out there in other places.

There might be life there, is a bait to keep general public interested and to justify the spending. I totally support space missions and discovering life will be a big big bonus but in general majority of people might not do so. I think the scientists do know well that finding life there is almost null...

• Like 1

I hope the geysers on Enceladus are the result of thermal stresses and not simple mechanical stresses. Does anybody know if these geysers have a thermal signature and what temperature we might be looking at?

All of these worlds are yours except Europa attempt no landing there.