Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is Amelia Earhart's plane in Nikumaroro ?

UM-Bot

Researchers will be attempting to locate the remains of the famed aviator's aircraft next month.

When Amelia Earhart disappeared over the Pacific Ocean during an attempt to circumnavigate the globe in her Lockheed Model 10 Electra in 1937, the question of what happened to her would go on to become one of the most enduring mysteries of the modern age.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/282064/is-amelia-earharts-plane-in-nikumaroro

• Like 1

After reading this and remembering that they have been to this location a number of times I did not read that they had equipment to try and raise the wreckage should it turnout to be the plane.

If it is the plane will this be the end of the TIGHAR group?

Jousting at windmills requires a strong component of belief.

I hope it is the site of the downed plane but I also hope it isn't. One hand I want to know what happened but on the other hand I so love the story and mystery

• Like 1

I hope they find the wreckage. It seems that even without the wreckage, there is enough already to be fairly certain this was her last stop.

Mysteries are good. But if this one is solved, there are still many many others enjoy reading about.

Hope they do solve the mystery. Would be so interesting..

• 2 weeks later...

Latest -

The search for Amelia Earhart is continuing through more downs than ups in Nikumaroro, an uninhabited South Pacific atoll in the republic of Kiribati.

Researchers of The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery (TIGHAR) who began scouring the ground of Nutiran, an area at the northwestern end of the island, have come to the conclusion that Amelia Earhart and navigator Fred Noonan did not possibly use that particular site as their base after their alleged forced landing on Nikumaroro's flat coral reef.

http://news.discover...ifts-150618.htm