Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Star Wars News and Updates

Anomalocaris

We've Finally Got Some Solid Details on Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

- First of, yes, finally some official confirmation after months of rumors: Darth Vader is indeed in the film. As had been rumored, his role is apparently quite large—Ben Mendehlson’s villainous Imperial is described as both “eager to earn the favor of the Emperor” and “avoid the wrath of his black-masked enforcer.” So it seems like Vader will be (loudly) breathing down Mendehlson’s neck for much of the film.

- This one was already leaked thanks to Mads Mikkelsen himself, but he is indeed playing Jyn Erso’s father. But now we know a little more about the character: he’s a scientist who’s work is wanted by both Empire and Alliance alike.

- The cover of the magazine reveals both the new TIE Fighter, the TIE Striker that was recently leaked, and our best look yet at the droid played by Alan Tudyk through motion capture (you could briefly see him obscured in the trailer)—reportedly an Imperial droid co-opted by the Alliance.

arrow3.gif io9

• Like 2

Forest Whitaker’s character has a rich Star Wars history

Forest Whitaker’s character has been one of the more closely held secrets of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, but Lucasfilm is ready now to make his identity official: this shadowy freedom-fighter is Saw Gerrera, a figure with a surprisingly deep background in galactic history.

arrow3.gif EW

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just want to share my overall impression of Lukes presence in the next chapter.

He will do a "Yoda" and keep away from the action. 

He will advise Rey that the force has awakened within her in a most unique way - like the original Jedi.  She cannot be trained and so must instead accept the journey that the force has presented to her.  Rey loses faith in the past story of Luke and begins to doubt his power - she flees

Rey returns desperately to Luke after the Resistance fails.

The chapter ends with Ren and his knights finding the ageing Jedi Master.

Now at the end of Ep 7 we all got an emotional wow moment after seeing Luke.  We will get 100 times this feeling at the end of the next movie when he easily deals with Ren and his knights.

Luke ends Ep 8 leaving with Rey to return balance back to the galaxy

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 20 August 2016 at 6:42 AM, Mark One said:

Alleged Episode 8 plot.  Link is below

WARNING: Read at your own risk.

http://imgur.com/a/2ukRq

Sounds like fan-nonsense ... And probably far too likely.

its a shame that Rey's origins are so predictable.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I just watched this amazing review on Star Wars: The Force Awakens. I think Mikey did a great job describing why this movie had all the odds stacked against it, yet, it beat them, and is quite a significant film: 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 4:37 AM, Lord Fedorable said:

Sounds like fan-nonsense ... And probably far too likely.

its a shame that Rey's origins are so predictable.

Love the Rey character, but other than that, virtually everything in the movie was derivative  and predictable. It has some interesting characters portrayed by an excellent cast, but the major storyline is a mediocre pastiche of the original movies. Now that he's destroyed canon and killed off a major character from the original movies and introduced a vague equivalent of Red Matter to destroy planets one wonders what Abrams will pull out of his bag cobwebs, next.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Love the Rey character, but other than that, virtually everything in the movie was derivative  and predictable. It has some interesting characters portrayed by an excellent cast, but the major storyline is a mediocre pastiche of the original movies. Now that he's destroyed canon and killed off a major character from the original movies and introduced a vague equivalent of Red Matter to destroy planets one wonders what Abrams will pull out of his bag cobwebs, next.

It was intentionally made to be similar to the original movies.  It was a safe call.  As for destroying canon, what canon was destroyed?  All the movies still count, and that's all that matters.  The rest of it never counted in the first place.

I'm not a fan of Abrams, I think he gets too much credit and is badly overrated, but this new Star Wars movie was a good one--probably in spite of his best efforts.  It's not the best Star Wars movie (the original trilogy is still superior) but it was a good flick and I'm glad it was made.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

It was intentionally made to be similar to the original movies.  It was a safe call.  As for destroying canon, what canon was destroyed?  All the movies still count, and that's all that matters.  The rest of it never counted in the first place.

I'm not a fan of Abrams, I think he gets too much credit and is badly overrated, but this new Star Wars movie was a good one--probably in spite of his best efforts.  It's not the best Star Wars movie (the original trilogy is still superior) but it was a good flick and I'm glad it was made.

My issue was I was expecting something new. It was just a remake for a new generation.

Which if they told me that before hand would of been fine but that's not what I expected 

23 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

My issue was I was expecting something new. It was just a remake for a new generation.

Which if they told me that before hand would of been fine but that's not what I expected 

I would have preferring something new as well.  Maybe we'll get that in the future.

Oh, and btw, prequels are not something new, that's why I'm not a fan of this Rogue One crap, nor a fan of a Han Solo origin story.  I'll go see them, but I'm not holding out much hope I'll like them (I could be wrong, I ended up loving the new Star Trek movie this year).

9 hours ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

I could have lived without it, myself. He killed Han and Ms Fisher hasn't aged well, at all. Two Death Stars were enough, already. It was a well-crafted mediocre effort; playing it safe doesn't mean one has be unoriginal. To me, Abrams is the Irwin Allen of this generation. Schlock dc effect is his calling card.

Edited by Hammerclaw

On 10/7/2016 at 6:50 PM, Hammerclaw said:

I could have lived without it, myself. He killed Han and Ms Fisher hasn't aged well, at all. Two Death Stars were enough, already. It was a well-crafted mediocre effort; playing it safe doesn't mean one has be unoriginal. To me, Abrams is the Irwin Allen of this generation. Schlock dc effect is his calling card.

I can't argue much with that.  Other than I'll say that I enjoyed the new Star Wars movie.  It wasn't the best, as the original trilogy is still that, but it was better than those prequels.

Edited by Thorvir Hrothgaard

1 hour ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

I can't argue much with that.  Other than I'll say that I enjoyed the new Star Wars movie.  It wasn't the best, as the original trilogy is still that, but it was better than those prequels.

We'll just have to disagree. To, me, it was like watching a live action Disney Cartoon, very loosely based on the original movies. I almost expected someone to break out in song at any moment. You can go on line and read everything they got wrong if you like. Some reviews are positively brutal. They not only discarded the voluminous canon built up over the years outside the movies, they gravely disrespected that of the movies, themselves. Their Jedi-light take on the Force and the way they made the protagonist an instant Jedi with no training, able to take on a pupil of the Light and Dark side of the Force not to mention a clumsy Storm Trooper actually scoring a hit on Kylo, was the most ludicrous of all.

Look, I paid close to thirty dollars for my hard copy of the movie, so my critique is that a fan not casual disdain.

• Like 1

This review sums up my take on the movie rather succinctly.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎15‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 7:23 AM, Hammerclaw said:

This review sums up my take on the movie rather succinctly.   

I watched two and a half minutes of the review, and then got angry at the guy.  He states that no one snapped at Darth Vader, but conveniently forgets that Grand Moth Tarkin does just that and orders him to release the Commander criticising him in A New Hope in the Death Star.

I don't dislike the film, and I struggle to see what Canon has been ignored or broken by the movie, however I was just totally disinterested by this film.  I used to be HUGE fan of the original trilogy, I have watche all the films hundreds of times, I remember going on holiday with my Grandparents and in an effort to combat boredom I would watch the movies in my head recited word for word, scene by scene.  Then Lucas went and shat on everything with the prequels, but that's a whole other tired story.

What bugs me is, Timothy Zhan wrote a whole host of Sequel books, and I recall them being very good, with new material, new bad guys, but keeping that Star Wars feel.  Why on earth have these been ignored?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grey Area said:

Timothy Zhan wrote a whole host of Sequel books, and I recall them being very good, with new material, new bad guys, but keeping that Star Wars feel.  Why on earth have these been ignored?  

Well, some of us disagree with that.  I read 2 1/3 of those books, and had to take the to a used book store, because, in my opinion, they did not capture the feel of Star Wars, and they were not very good.  I have indeed read worse, but these weren't up to my standards, and they, again, in my opinion, shat on what Star Wars was.  The fact that they spawned an entire series of glorified fan fiction afterward actually reinforced my views of those books (I am not a fan of the majority of the Extended Universe).  I hold no grudge against anyone that does like those books or the Extended Universe, and indeed some of it I do like (just the original Han Solo trilogy and anything to do with the Old Republic, but those came before Heir to the Empire)--Zahn was certainly successful in his attempt so I respect him for that.

And, from the start, even Lucas himself claimed that none of the printed material of Zahn's stories nor anything that came afterward was canon.  He liked the idea of fan-fiction, and so do I when it's done well, but it was still his property and he stated that if he ever did a sequel to the original trilogy it would be very different from Heir to the Empire. The only cannon is what Lucas said was canon, and nothing else.  Well, up until now, and the only canon is what Disney says is canon.  That's the bottom line.

Now, if this nu-Star Wars was inspired by some of the Extended Universe, I wouldn't complain too much as long as it was done well.  At least some elements were used--in the current Star Wars Rebels series Admiral Thrawn is a character in it (which doesn't verify HttE nor it's sequels, but it does take a somewhat good idea and molds it to fit the current canon).  But I blame a lot of that on JJ Abrams--as with Star Trek, he doesn't seem to "get it", in spite of his claims otherwise.  I know that he says he is a huge fan, but sometimes, when watching those series, it makes me seriously doubt his word.

But, regardless, we have our nu-Star Wars now, and it's set in stone.  So, I'm in for the ride till the end, or until the ride breaks down.  Oh, and just to add, I despise prequels....but as long as they are good movies, I'll go see them anyway.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

Well, some of us disagree with that.  I read 2 1/3 of those books, and had to take the to a used book store, because, in my opinion, they did not capture the feel of Star Wars, and they were not very good.

I can respect that, I am sure if I re-read them now I would whole heartedly agree with you, that they are not very good.  But I remember really enjoying them, and I felt that Zhan really understood the universe.  There were some good ideas in, not so much plot hole fillers but certainly some questions answered that were left alone by Lucas such as why Yoda lived alone on Degobah, which was due to the dark cave Luke went to in his training, which balanced Yodas light presence and so masked him from Vader and the Emperor.  Or having someone fill the power vacuum left by Jabba.

but I do freely admit I was a hardcore fanboy, you only had to mention the words Star Wars and I would lap it up.

but I did draw the line, I didn't get on with the Jedi trilogy, and the standalones were rubbish.

And, from the start, even Lucas himself claimed that none of the printed material of Zahn's stories nor anything that came afterward was canon.  

Yes, but then after the success of the first trilogy Lucas had his head so far up his backside he thought that he could do anything with his canon and the fans would love him for it.  The final straw for me was the digital remastering of the original trilogy, and I watched in horror as boba felt spoke with an Aussie accent. 

He liked the idea of fan-fiction, and so do I when it's done well, but it was still his property and he stated that if he ever did a sequel to the original trilogy it would be very different from Heir to the Empire. The only cannon is what Lucas said was canon, and nothing else.  Well, up until now, and the only canon is what Disney says is canon.  That's the bottom line.

Agreed.  This is an interesting point.  Fan bases in the past have largely gone ignored.  Now however with social media, franchises can not longer ignore the fan base, we have seen this recently with the walking dead and the controversial who died cliff hanger, where the producers actually issued an apology because of the backlash.  We are seeing something a little more forward thinking in games, where mods are being integrated into the game, minecraft and kerbal are two really good examples where mods and the mod devs are being employed as part of the latest release.  The movie industry is playing catchup, but it will catch up.

But, regardless, we have our nu-Star Wars now, and it's set in stone.  So, I'm in for the ride till the end, or until the ride breaks down.  Oh, and just to add, I despise prequels....but as long as they are good movies, I'll go see them anyway.

Yes we are all in it for the ride, it's like one of those old fashioned ghost trains.  They were great when you were a kid, and we still get on in the name of nostalgia, but nothing will replace the feeling you had when you sat down and watched yellow writing scroll into space to John Williams now all too familiar genius.

yes I am a cynic in my old age.  But I still watch the originals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grey Area said:

I can respect that, I am sure if I re-read them now I would whole heartedly agree with you, that they are not very good.  But I remember really enjoying them, and I felt that Zhan really understood the universe.  There were some good ideas in, not so much plot hole fillers but certainly some questions answered that were left alone by Lucas such as why Yoda lived alone on Degobah, which was due to the dark cave Luke went to in his training, which balanced Yodas light presence and so masked him from Vader and the Emperor.  Or having someone fill the power vacuum left by Jabba.

but I do freely admit I was a hardcore fanboy, you only had to mention the words Star Wars and I would lap it up.

but I did draw the line, I didn't get on with the Jedi trilogy, and the standalones were rubbish.

Yes, but then after the success of the first trilogy Lucas had his head so far up his backside he thought that he could do anything with his canon and the fans would love him for it.  The final straw for me was the digital remastering of the original trilogy, and I watched in horror as boba felt spoke with an Aussie accent. 

Agreed.  This is an interesting point.  Fan bases in the past have largely gone ignored.  Now however with social media, franchises can not longer ignore the fan base, we have seen this recently with the walking dead and the controversial who died cliff hanger, where the producers actually issued an apology because of the backlash.  We are seeing something a little more forward thinking in games, where mods are being integrated into the game, minecraft and kerbal are two really good examples where mods and the mod devs are being employed as part of the latest release.  The movie industry is playing catchup, but it will catch up.

Yes we are all in it for the ride, it's like one of those old fashioned ghost trains.  They were great when you were a kid, and we still get on in the name of nostalgia, but nothing will replace the feeling you had when you sat down and watched yellow writing scroll into space to John Williams now all too familiar genius.

yes I am a cynic in my old age.  But I still watch the originals.

I have the original trilogy, minus the remastered crap, on my computer and we watch them once a year in full.  No Aussie accents, Greedo not getting off a shot, no Hayden Christensen/Whinging Annie Force ghost, no severed arm Wampa, the correct music in celebration on Endor....good stuff.

• Like 1

For my part, I think The Force Awaken was well made, but lacked a bit of originality and would need more explanations. The next movies could gives more coherence to this one, though, so I reserve my judgment for the next few years.

Hammerclaw's video's complain are rather fair, although the author assume Rey and Finn are just random people. My guess is, they are not. Rey is quite the Mary Sue, but so was Anakin. "The Force Awaken" probably mean some force fluke is messing the picture, hence how both Rey and Finn can keep up with Ren and his quarter of Anakin's blood. Plus, like Rinna's video observe, it seems Ren isn't even trying to hurt Rey, it's more like he want to get her over his side. Although he does mean harm to Finn.

We'll see how things unfold in the next movies.

11 minutes ago, Gingitsune said:

For my part, I think The Force Awaken was well made, but lacked a bit of originality and would need more explanations. The next movies could gives more coherence to this one, though, so I reserve my judgment for the next few years.

Agree.

11 minutes ago, Gingitsune said:

...hence how both Rey and Finn can keep up with Ren and his quarter of Anakin's blood. Plus, like Rinna's video observe, it seems Ren isn't even trying to hurt Rey, it's more like he want to get her over his side. Although he does mean harm to Finn.

If this is in reference to how they managed to fight Ren using lightsabers, it's not that hard to grasp.  Rey knows how to fight, a lightsaber is just another weapon, and the weapon she used was a staff and that probably helped her with the more sword-like weapon.  Ren was badly wounded by Chewie's bowcaster and wasn't at 100%.  And yes, he was probably pulling some punches.  So, it wasn't too hard to accept that Rey beat him.  That made sense.

Finn is a trained storm-trooper (nu-Storm-trooper, not the old ones that can't shoot straight unless it's Jawa sand crawlers).  He can fight, but he doesn't have the Force, so while he held his own for a bit, even a wounded Ren was able to beat him.  And a lightsaber, while just weapon, probably wasn't in his training. That made sense.

I'm glad that the new lightsaber duels we are getting are gritty and dirty sword fights and not hilariously-choreographed martial arts demonstrations like in the prequels.

Unless I missed the jist what you're saying about the videos.  I didn't watch Hammerclaw's, as I've seen enough anti-Force Awakens hate vids and they're all the same.  And I didn't watch Rinna's because every time I think of doing it, my internet is sucking (living in the sticks) and it's late at night.  Like right now---goodnight!