Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 6
UM-Bot

Something roaming in the woods

37 posts in this topic

There are plenty of yahoos out there in the woods quite willing and able to shoot anything that moves or makes noise. This is part of why background checks are of such limited use.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

This is like bigfoot encounters. They throw things. They yell. They are big and hairy. They are in every state but Hawaii. One time my wife and I were camping in the Ozarks in a tent. It was pitch black and we heard something walk out of the woods. I never camp unarmed, so I did the same stupid thing you did. I fired my .45 Colt automatic into the dark in the direction of the sound. After our ears stopped ringing and my wife stopped b****ing me out, we listened and it was gone. At daylight we found nothing there.

Ha ha ha ha ha I would of b****ed you out too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i've read all Stephen Young's books about Predators in the woods -

there are many accounts that back-up that there's some real disturbing things in the woods at night!! http://www.amazon.com/Stephen-Young/e/B00KE8B6B0/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1449432452&sr=8-2-ent

Hard to believe-until it happens to you (hasn't happened to me, but i stay out of the woods now! there's stories where one person is hearing screams -

but no-one else can hear them! how is that possible?!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Banshee??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2015 at 5:52 PM, Frank Merton said:

There are plenty of yahoos out there in the woods quite willing and able to shoot anything that moves or makes noise. This is part of why background checks are of such limited use.

While I agree that it is stupid to shoot into the woods if you don't know what you are shooting at, this is a forum for creature encounters, not your stance on gun control. If you can't possibly resist putting your fear of firearms in your posts, head on over to the political section of the site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Prif_the_Pirate said:

While I agree that it is stupid to shoot into the woods if you don't know what you are shooting at, this is a forum for creature encounters, not your stance on gun control. If you can't possibly resist putting your fear of firearms in your posts, head on over to the political section of the site.

I'd offer the exact reverse view - I think his comments were pertinent, and you even agreed with them.  As do I - it seems an insane thing to do.

In fact, your post is much further offtopic and it seems only about *your* view on gun control...

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ChrLzs said:

I'd offer the exact reverse view - I think his comments were pertinent, and you even agreed with them.  As do I - it seems an insane thing to do.

In fact, your post is much further offtopic and it seems only about *your* view on gun control...

 

He posted twice, and both times it illuminated his distaste for the concept of gun ownership. My view on gun control is MY business. My view on the story is that it is a bad idea to go shooting into the woods. I managed to say that without saying anything about background checks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 9/13/2017 at 7:31 PM, Prif_the_Pirate said:

He posted twice, and both times it illuminated his distaste for the concept of gun ownership. My view on gun control is MY business. My view on the story is that it is a bad idea to go shooting into the woods. I managed to say that without saying anything about background checks.

Unfortunately Frank lives in Cambodia, so his thoughts on US gun control are just the opinions of someone who has no such right to bear arms.

Shooting blind into the woods is stupid though.

The number of people killed in accidental hunting shootings is very, very low, so I think Frank's point that there are plenty of yahoos is misinformed.

https://www.thoughtco.com/hunting-accident-rates-127877

1000 injuries and 100 deaths on average per year.

So about 1% to 1.5% of all gun related injuries, and 0.3% of gun related deaths, are due to hunting accidents. There are better targets (pun intended) for gun control.

 

EDIT: Appears Frank hasn't been on UM since May... Sad. I did like talking to him. :( I hope he is OK.

Edited by DieChecker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DieChecker said:

Unfortunately Frank lives in Cambodia, so his thoughts on US gun control are just the opinions of someone who has no such right to bear arms.

Shooting blind into the woods is stupid though.

The number of people killed in accidental hunting shootings is very, very low, so I think Frank's point that there are plenty of yahoos is misinformed.

https://www.thoughtco.com/hunting-accident-rates-127877

1000 injuries and 100 deaths on average per year.

So about 1% to 1.5% of all gun related injuries, and 0.3% of gun related deaths, are due to hunting accidents. There are better targets (pun intended) for gun control.

 

EDIT: Appears Frank hasn't been on UM since May... Sad. I did like talking to him. :( I hope he is OK.

He said he used to live in America and hated it (understandable). Like I said, I don't want to get into the politics. All I know is that if I was in the woods and large caliber rifle rounds started snapping over my head I'd return fire with hostile intent haha.

 

Regardless, getting the dookie scared out of you in the woods at night is no fun. :lol: 

 

I'm sure he just got tired of the forums on here, or he's busy.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2017 at 7:52 PM, Prif_the_Pirate said:

While I agree that it is stupid to shoot into the woods if you don't know what you are shooting at, this is a forum for creature encounters, not your stance on gun control. If you can't possibly resist putting your fear of firearms in your posts, head on over to the political section of the site.

 

On 9/13/2017 at 10:31 PM, Prif_the_Pirate said:

He posted twice, and both times it illuminated his distaste for the concept of gun ownership. My view on gun control is MY business. My view on the story is that it is a bad idea to go shooting into the woods. I managed to say that without saying anything about background checks.

Heh, Frank posted twice back in 2015- you're the one that opted to necropost almost two years later to complain about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rashore said:

 

Heh, Frank posted twice back in 2015- you're the one that opted to necropost almost two years later to complain about it.

As it was my first day on the site, I was not aware it was a "necropost". Good word use

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as this old post is up and running, I'll jump in.

I suspect he heard a cougar. I know some believe the eastern Cougar is extinct, but I watched a cougar for about 30 minutes near Strongsville, Ohio, 25 years ago. The sound they make has been described as a loud scream, which of course would be 'amplified' by fear.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 6

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.