Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Windows 7 vs. Windows 10

acute

There are lots of comments and opinions online from people who have upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8 and 8.1, but not many comparing Windows 10 and 7.

So... I thought I would ask on UM.

Is it worth the hassle of upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10?

Never tried Windows 10 but from what I am hearing the UI is somewhat of a mixt between Windows 7 and Windows 8.

We have a Dell laptop running Windows 7 SP1 here and I don't intend to upgrade it. W7 is very stable and I don't have any problem with it.

Plus, the user can expect security updates until 2020, so there is nothing to be concerned about. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;)

Edited by Phenix20
  • Like 3

I am going no further than Windows 7 until they decide to go back to something familiar. I think whoever came up with Windows 8 should be put in front of a firing squad.

• Like 9

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;)

My sentiment entirely. Ive got a big powerful desktop with XP pro sp3, and a laptop running win 7. I didnt like win 7 to start and had to switch it too 'classic view' or whatever....so it ran a bit more like XP. Couldn't get used to moving the mouse and have pages vanish and re-appear :lol:

Both my machines do what I want them to do...so...Im happy. Ive never been one to join the 'must have' crowd

• Like 2

Windows 7, with Int Explorer 11, is a good combination so I'll stick not twist.

• Like 2

The genious that removed start button is no longer in Microsoft, he was fired

• Like 3

Yes, I heard that the Start button had disappeared and come back!

Thank you for the comments so far. Please keep them coming! :)

Edited by acute

I have a desktop and three laptops, all but one laptop run windows 8 (or "windows hate" as I call it)... 8 Is okay for a tablet (which is what it was initially designed for) and it's

acceptable for a touchscreen system... but it takes a LOT of fiddling with to get it where it is what I consider "Usable"...

I'm going to upgrade to 10, for two reasons - to get rid of 8, and because it supports the Hololens which I want to play with...

• Like 2

I've never used 'Windows Hate'.

Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones to still have 7!

• Like 2

I read that with windows10 if you want to play solitaire you will get ads rolling across the game from time to time and if you want them to go away it will cost you $10 a year. Guess they think a lot of people play solitaire. Wonder what other surprises there will be.

• Like 1

I can't help worrying about the 'something for nothing' aspect of Windows 10.

Maybe I'm too cynical.

• Like 1

My two lone MS computers run XP and 7. 7 is far superior to 10 IMHO still.

Everything else runs Linux or is a Mac (all my work computers are Mac).

I miss the 90s when MS actually ran good OS.

• Like 2

I installed Windows 10 yesterday.

My advice? Don't do it.

Yes, the old style start menu returned as well as a few more apps that I don't use anyway.

The biggest thing is that 10 is slow .

My lap top with 8.1 was much faster than it is now.

For example my comp with 8.1 would boot up in about 45 seconds. Now with 10 it takes a few minutes to fully load.

• Like 4

I still have 7 and I really like it...will wait until 7 is totally ancient then move to whatever they've come up with then.

• Like 3

With Windows 7 not having (and not getting) a Service Pack 2, I would have expected Windows 10 to be faster.

• Like 2

I still have 7 and I really like it...will wait until 7 is totally ancient then move to whatever they've come up with then.

This is the way I'm thinking at the moment.

Nobody seems too impressed with 10!

• Like 1

With Windows 7 not having (and not getting) a Service Pack 2, I would have expected Windows 10 to be faster.

Yeah, one would think that.

I don't have any comparison from 7 to 10, I saw a thread about Windows 10 and offered my experience. :tu:

Edited by ZZ430
  • Like 1

I tried to install Windows 10 yesterday, but it wouldn't let me get off my homepage. A little box in the top right of the screen informed me that "This page is having trouble..."

Then I took a look at the Windows 10 package and realized there's a ton of rubbish on there that I'd never use, and that it just wasn't worth the hassle. So I'm back on Windows 8 now.

I have the computer acumen of a retarded hamster, so I applied the old "When you're in a hole....stop digging" strategy.

• Like 4

I've never trusted micro Soft, and particularly since Internet Exploiter stopped working one day and has never worked since .

• Like 1

I've never trusted micro Soft, and particularly since Internet Exploiter stopped working one day and has never worked since .

Explorer? Pfft, not used that in years, I find Firefox a lot more stable and faster..

• Like 4

I tried to install Windows 10 yesterday, but it wouldn't let me get off my homepage. A little box in the top right of the screen informed me that "This page is having trouble..."

Then I took a look at the Windows 10 package and realized there's a ton of rubbish on there that I'd never use, and that it just wasn't worth the hassle. So I'm back on Windows 8 now.

I have the computer acumen of a retarded hamster, so I applied the old "When you're in a hole....stop digging" strategy.

Pretty much any free software has bundles of adware and other crap that make puters get buggy and slow

• Like 1

I always wait around 1year after the product is officially launched, I am using w8.1 with start button, and although wqs happy with 7 I am enjoying 8.1

Edited by godnodog