Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Virgin Atlantic Flight Overtakes UFO

Anomalocaris

This is the moment that a supposed UFO overtakes a Virgin Atlantic flight leaving JFK Airport in New York earlier in the month.

The shaky footage shows the plane taking off as normal and then just before it passes in front of some trees you can make out a small cylindrical object passing quickly on the right hand side of the aircraft.

Virgin Atlantic Flight Overtakes UFO After Taking Off From JFK Airport

Is it a bird, is it a plane...?

It looks like both ;)

• Like 2

It's a bird.

I thought it was a bird too, but would it be able to go faster than the plane?

It seems like it changes shape so I thought it was flapping its wings.

Edited by MJNYC

Thats what i thought. It looks like a bird, but its behind the plane and still going faster than it.

• Like 2

Think I'll treat with the same amount of skepticism as anything else on youtube.

It's Wylie Coyote in his ACME Birdman suit! :tu:

(yaaawwwwnnnn) Wake me up when a UFO actually does something really interesting in broad daylight to an airplane, like force it to land and vaporize the pilot for violating its airspace.

• Like 1

Thats what i thought. It looks like a bird, but its behind the plane and still going faster than it.

A [good] hoaxer would understand making it appear from behind the tail, thus implying a greater distance than the plane, makes it more convincing.

• Like 1

Bird nearer than the plane, hence why it seems to be going faster. More to the point, that's really really bad filming. Way too far away, and so has to zoom frantically, even if the image quality isn't too bad once they are zoomed in. Hopelessly amateurish.

JFK has two sets of parallel runways.

The climb rate of a 747 is approx. 2.500ft/min.

The climb rate of small bizz jets is approx. 4.800ft/min.

So, the aircraft ascend of small bizz jets is much more dynamic.

So, no UFO, no bird.

Amen.

• Like 3

It's just two planes. The one closer is landing and going very slowly. The second in the background is climbing at a faster speed.

Whoops I didn't read toast's post before I wrote mine. Sorry... But yeah, I concur.

So, no UFO, no bird.

Amen.

That's a good point, but the climb rate probably isn't material since a bizjet would be following a fixed departure route that dictated its horizontal and vertical flight path. And in fact the UFO does seem to be climbing at the same angle as the 747. It remains to be seen if the 747 was taking off from the nearer of the two runways, though.

• Like 1

I'm not, sure I'd agree that it's another more distant plane climbing more steeply, departures from airports follow departure corridors with more or less the same rates of climb, it would cause chaos if planes were to go at widely differing speeds and rates of climb.

Must be nice to not have to be bothered working lift to fly. That field manipulation be where it's at. No fighting friction.

besides, JFK has two parallel runways running east-west (more or less) and another two running north-south, and they'd normally use one for landings and one for takeoffs. Here's a viedo, in fact, which seesm to be pretty much the same view: note at 7:05 a plane landing on the parallel runway in the background (and some birds in the foreground.)

That's a good point, but the climb rate probably isn't material since a bizjet would be following a fixed departure route that dictated

its horizontal and vertical flight path. And in fact the UFO does seem to be climbing at the same angle as the 747. It remains to be

seen if the 747 was taking off from the nearer of the two runways, though.

Thats correct but I took the climb rate factor into picture to explain that a bizz jet with a higher (possible) climb rate is capable to

accelerate much faster than a 747, especially if on a similar lift-off angle.

• Like 1

So, no UFO, no bird.

Amen.

I took a few minutes to look at the OP video, and it did appear the "ufo" was behind the take off jet. Which led me to the exact same deduction that you had. This is just another, smaller plane, taking off at a higher speed, which allowed it to lift off earlier and thus appear to be "above" this passenger jet. I was thinking a military jet, but you are correct that it probably was just a fast civilian business jet. :nw:

• Like 1

I took a few minutes to look at the OP video, and it did appear the "ufo" was behind the take off jet. Which led me to the exact same deduction that you had. This is just another, smaller plane, taking off at a higher speed, which allowed it to lift off earlier and thus appear to be "above" this passenger jet. I was thinking a military jet, but you are correct that it probably was just a fast civilian business jet. :nw:

i don't think they'd do that, not parallel takeoffs. Parallel landings, yes, but even parallel takeoffs would be instructed to use similar climb rates to avoid chaos.

And certainly military jets wouldn't go sooting about randomly in some of the most tightly controlled airspace in the world (New York is very sensitive about where things are allowed to fly, for obvious reasons).

Gee, with our high tech HD video cameras available, is that all those alleged genuine camera men can come up with ! ? GEE! - And that goes for all those endless, jittery, washed out, alleged REAL Alien Spacecrafts video clips and photos - which are regurgitated month after month as the real deal by those fakers. Give it a rest already - and get a real life!

could be anything all just second guessin and videos that seem to be popping up lately , like hartmut just said with all our high tech HD video cameras available you would think things would be certain . until ive seen one meself or a actual HD video ill be thinking it could be anything . but I do believe there more out there . STIL great to read and watch these