Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghost Aircraft seen over UK

Space Commander Travis

I remember seeing a r/c lancaster bomber at the woodvale show, it was that big that it had 3 people controling it, they had to sit on the roof of a car following it. I wonder if the plane seen was a restored ww2 lancaster being flown in memory of the last dambuster who died this week. Quite a lot of old airfields not far from were it was seen. it says it was seen near the a52 near derby, could have been a normal prop driven plane on approach to the east midlands airport which is close to derby.

what about a B-17?

Well, again, there's only one airworthy in Europe, "Sally B" based at Duxford, so again, it should be easy enough to verify if it may have been anywhere in the vicinity at the time, if we knew when it was.

Well, again, there's only one airworthy in Europe, "Sally B" based at Duxford, so again, it should be easy enough to verify if it may have been anywhere in the vicinity at the time, if we knew when it was.

well i know there was an airshow up North recently

I'll go with ghost. After all England is the most haunted place in the world.

2e14104f6efd8d79dfb7266061afe1b7.jpgProbably a C-130. It's big, has British markings and four propellers.Witnesses also described a camouflage paint job. Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 2

2e14104f6efd8d79dfb7266061afe1b7.jpgProbably a C-130. It's big, has British markings and four propellers.Witnesses also described a camouflage paint job.

Yes, that's something I was thinking, certainly that's the kind of terrain round there (the Peak District I mean, not the desert) that'd be used for low-level training. Edited by Norbert the Incredible

I love this story at a 10 on a scale of 1-10. Ghosts of huge mechanical objects are beyond rare. I have heard to phantom cars and houses, but aerial ghosts in broad daylight especially jaw-dropping wonderful. I'm never around when **** like this happens.

Edited by Infernal Gnu

As others have said, probably an electric motored VERY large scale RC plane. But maybe a model of a Halifax Bomber ?

Just a thought.

Good info page re- the aircraft.

http://www.beer-is-best.com/halifax.htm

halifax%20large.jpg

Edited by SD455GTO
  • Like 1

I am not dismissing that it could be paranormal, and with sightings all over the place, I'm thinking it could be that.

On another side of this, being a wife of a retired Air Force MS, and lived near or on bases, I'm thinking air shows. They are always practicing, and anyone near are going to see it. Updated and older planes I would believe. That is my thought on that.

James May is at it again perhaps?

:rofl: Well, he, Hammond, and Clarkson, have to do something to advertise their new netflix show, right? (Did I read that right, they are set to have a car show on Netflix soon? )

Someone should tune into the old frequency and see if anyone is hailing Bomber Command.

• Like 1

while the world holds its breath to get to the bottom of this story, we might as well sit back and enjoy the MacGregor brothers having a go in an old Lancaster:

• Like 1

Surely you cant have inanimate plane ghosts? But yes a ghost plane 'sounds' more fun.. :lol:

Ive watched the RC crowd at my local park who fly on sundays, Ive often noted just how say an RC helicopter (traditional design that is), is barely distinguishable from the real thing at a certain height/distance

Well, the flying dutch is hardly the only alleged ghost ship, I recall at least six others, so it'd be just a matter of time before a ghost plane turned up. But why no ghost cars or ghost horse wagons?

i don't know, there've been plenty of stories about ghost cars that mysteriously disappear or go through fences leaving no trace, aren't there. And there's abundant stories of ghostly horses & carriages from all over the place. What I've sometimes thought is, what if ghosts aren't "restless spirits" or anything like that, but what if they're kind of like echoes or flashbacks of events that happened some time in the past - like in the case, perhaps, of the crash of a plane during the War - that just pop up from time to time and reply themselves, whether anyone's watching or not? Or perhaps certain people are sensitive to these things so they can see them when others can't.

• Like 1

i don't know, there've been plenty of stories about ghost cars that mysteriously disappear or go through fences leaving no trace, aren't there. And there's abundant stories of ghostly horses & carriages from all over the place. What I've sometimes thought is, what if ghosts aren't "restless spirits" or anything like that, but what if they're kind of like echoes or flashbacks of events that happened some time in the past - like in the case, perhaps, of the crash of a plane during the War - that just pop up from time to time and reply themselves, whether anyone's watching or not? Or perhaps certain people are sensitive to these things so they can see them when others can't.

since the doors of speculation are blown up wide here anyway, i might as well throw in my pet "theory" of attributing all sorts of apparitions (ghosts, aliens, what have you...) to being temporary projections from alternate universes.

my question here is: should i lay off the weed?

• Like 1

Haven't some UFO sightings been kind of like that? No sound, and nobody other than the witness seems to notice?

Based on nothing more than thoughts in my own mind: But I'm reminded of the 'good old days' of where we used to record programs off the telly on VHS tape (or going back even earlier, Betamax!) Regardless of the make though, these were magnetic tapes. Now, thinking of the Earth's magnetic field, I wonder if sometimes events (of any nature) somehow get 'recorded' in a similar way (a bit flaky here on what it would be stored on :)) and then certain atmospheric conditions cause these events to be replayed.

I'm unsure if this is even remotely possible at all, but it's something I've often toyed around with in my mind to explain supposed 'ghost' sightings.

Anyway, good to see some great photos of some classic aircraft if nothing else. :)

Martin Caiden, the aviation writer once wrote a book about spooky airplanes and pilots. The writer, now deceased, said that his initial thoughts on the subject were that ghost airplanes, ghostly encounters in disused hangars and weird out-of-time occurances were rubbish. I've forgotten the title but it was a good read despite Caiden's rather earthy and dated writing style. zw

Haven't some UFO sightings been kind of like that? No sound, and nobody other than the witness seems to notice?

Oh, yeah.

The Lancaster is one of my fav planes from world war 2,

Very cool it could be a ghost plane any video of it

• 1 year later...

please be aware that the Peak District and the Pennines were used by bomber command during the war for practice and teaching.  The area was locked down when trialing the bouncing bomb so no planes except the ones to carry this bomb were allowed in the area.

I my self have heard of this phantom plane many times and i personally think it is a WW2  bomber either a Lancaster or a Wellington.   

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, derby_dave said:

please be aware that the Peak District and the Pennines were used by bomber command during the war for practice and teaching.  The area was locked down when trialing the bouncing bomb so no planes except the ones to carry this bomb were allowed in the area.

I my self have heard of this phantom plane many times and i personally think it is a WW2  bomber either a Lancaster or a Wellington.   

I've heard of the phantom bombers on the peak district many times too. 

I thought I saw something strange planewise once in a little valley just north of Llandovery, it was flying very low through the hills. I think it was a C-130 though. They fly very low and in very hilly terrain.