Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Muriel Baldridge, 1949, Prestonsburg, KY

Regi

I've recently read the book, Murder In The Mountains, and I recommend it for anyone interested in the story because for one thing, it's the only reference/source I'm aware of or have access to for any information about the case.

Two men were charged in the crime; they were tried separately and after the first trial ended in a not guilty verdict- which I think was a correct verdict- charges were then dropped against the second man (also rightly so, I think).

At the end of the day, I think it's one of those cases where investigators very likely made contact with the perp- I know it often goes that way, regardless, but in this case, I don't think the perp was even considered as a POI.

A very interesting aspect of the book is that it includes insight from current investigators who were consulted by the author.

• Like 1

Just watched the videos. Does it say in the book why the carnival worker confessed to the crime(and then recanted)?

• Like 1

^ Well, he first denied any involvement.

Since Muriel was last known to be headed home from a carnival, investigators spoke to the carnival workers, one whom was a 15 year old named Olen Collins who not only accused Gamble (a former carnival worker by that time) but said he was actually there when it happened. Now for many reasons, Collins' story made no sense but Gamble did have a criminal record and he was suspected in other crimes and so he was arrested. (Btw, that's an aspect I found enlightening, that is, just in general, how much weight authorities placed on witness statements alone and how so very little info. or "evidence" was necessary to make an arrest/bring charges.)

Anyway, two weeks later, Collins admitted that he'd made up the story. (At the time of his first statement, he'd refused a poly, but when he admitted that the story was made up, he was then willing to submit to one if his mother agreed. He said he'd first refused a ploy "because I was afraid the courthouse roof would blow up.")

A few weeks later, after that already interesting turn of event, Gamble signed a confession, although he recanted the next day and claimed that the confession was made under duress from the police and explained that he "didn't even know how to read or write".

Edited by regi
  • Like 1

I want to clarify in my first post that the investigators consulted by the author of the book are experienced 'modern day' investigators and that's why I find it very interesting to know their perspectives, primarily because it's clear (I think) that since there evidently wasn't a blatantly obvious motive to this crime, the original investigators were at a loss as to the type of perp they were looking for.

• Like 1

I think I'm going to have to buy the book!

Edit, some minutes later: I just looked on Amazon and they wanted £640 for a used copy, £800 for new!!!! :o That can't be right. I've messaged the seller to see if they've made a mistake ..... they must have made a mistake.

Edited by ouija ouija
  • Like 1

I think I'm going to have to buy the book!

Edit, some minutes later: I just looked on Amazon and they wanted £640 for a used copy, £800 for new!!!! :o That can't be right. I've messaged the seller to see if they've made a mistake ..... they must have made a mistake.

Is that anywhere near the $23.94 I paid (that included shipping)?! Yeah, I don't understand it, just that it sucks, that's all! :lol:

I have to say, I'm so pleased that you're interested in the story- of course, that's why I shared it- and that you have enough interest to buy the book but I certainly didn't intend to promote any book, a pricey one at that!

About the book, honestly, I think there could have been a much better narrative to the story...I thought it was difficult to follow/correlate the info. for that reason but it was also frustrating because the info. often lacked elaboration/explanation. It appeared to me that most of the info re: the investigation came from what was reported in newspapers (which always leaves much to be desired by the reader, right?!)

On the other hand, I appreciate that the case was researched and that the info was put together all in one place.

Here's an article which promoted the book.

http://www.dailyindependent.com/who-killed-muriel-baldridge/article_31eb208b-d5bb-5e53-ac89-2013afb6925c.html

Later, I'll post what investigators today (those consulted by the author) have to say about the case. :tu:

Oh, I didn't think for a minute that you were trying to promote the book! :lol: It just intrigues me, and as you say, it's great to have so much info all in one place.

It isn't a big/thick book, is it? The $23.94 that you paid still seems like a lot to me. One £ equals(very approximately), one and a half $, so that would make the Amazon books $960 and $1,200 :o

edit to say: meant to say that I was also interested in a couple of the male figures in the photos of Muriel in the videos ...... they looked very shady and I want to know who they are and how they fit into the story!

Edited by ouija ouija

The Amazon sellers didn't get back to me and now the listing has disappeared, there's just a download for Kindle, but I haven't got one. Sellers elsewhere are offering the book for $102 incl. shipping but that's still too much. SO annoying! I was looking forward to discussing the case with you.

The Amazon sellers didn't get back to me and now the listing has disappeared, there's just a download for Kindle, but I haven't got one. Sellers elsewhere are offering the book for $102 incl. shipping but that's still too much. SO annoying! I was looking forward to discussing the case with you.

I'd like that too, Ouija, but let me tell you, it's a case where the pertinent info is either no longer in existence (and in my opinion, was never there to begin with) but I'd be happy to send you my copy of the book. Just PM and let me know. :tu:

I assume that if there was no defined motive then she wasn't sexually assaulted. That would have at least narrowed the field fo suspects down to males. . .and five mortal blows to the head? perhaps a female assailant?

• Like 1

This link has the paper used for $19.99 at amazon. hopefully I copied it correctly.

http://www.amazon.co...baldridge story

Thanks for posting that but Regi's copy is already on its way to me :)

The $19.99 one, which is NEW, is an oddity. The price then jumps to $64 and upward. I don't know what Amazon are playing at <_< . And why are the USED ones costing so much? $120+ ...... one is actually $320!!!!

Edited by ouija ouija

I assume that if there was no defined motive then she wasn't sexually assaulted. That would have at least narrowed the field fo suspects down to males. . .and five mortal blows to the head? perhaps a female assailant?

I guess she could have been sexually assaulted by a female, but I understand what you're saying.

Detectives consulted by the author of the book make that same observation.

One detective was speaking to what appeared to him as tunnel vision among original investigators when he observed that "...all of the suspects were male, but if you let the evidence from the scene guide you it will show you that the suspect could be either male or female."

Good observation! :tu:

• Like 2

glad you are getting your copy. I did check other sites and the book is listed in the hundreds wherever else I found it. Odd for a paperback. Don't lose it... lol

• Like 1

Detectives consulted by the author of the book make that same observation.

One detective was speaking to what appeared to him as tunnel vision among original investigators when he observed that "...all of the suspects were male, but if you let the evidence from the scene guide you it will show you that the suspect could be either male or female."

Good observation! :tu:

So the question remains. . .which amongst her female acquaintances did she have a falling out with? Or perhaps was jealous of her? Perhaps over another man? I'm actually surprised the original investigation team did not catch on to that. . .I mean, not to be crass. . .but if a man is going to attack an attractive woman in such a manner, there is usually one thing on his mind. . .and on some basis, there would be evidence of that intent left behind. . .not matter how weird the fetish or incompetent the man in that area. . .

that level of rage speaks of jilted lover, jealous female rival, or crazed psychotic killer. . .a robbery gone wrong would not have that level of violence. . .nor would a contract killing. . .hmmmm. . .

I wonder if it's still possible to solve after all these years. . .

I guess she could have been sexually assaulted by a female, but I understand what you're saying.

again, there would have been evidence of that. . .disarrayed clothing, fluids, tears. . .fiber transfer. . .it's a messy act. . .it's what makes it so much fun at times. . .

So the question remains. . .which amongst her female acquaintances did she have a falling out with? Or perhaps was jealous of her? Perhaps over another man? I'm actually surprised the original investigation team did not catch on to that. . .I mean, not to be crass. . .but if a man is going to attack an attractive woman in such a manner, there is usually one thing on his mind. . .and on some basis, there would be evidence of that intent left behind. . .not matter how weird the fetish or incompetent the man in that area. . .

that level of rage speaks of jilted lover, jealous female rival, or crazed psychotic killer. . .a robbery gone wrong would not have that level of violence. . .nor would a contract killing. . .hmmmm. . .

I wonder if it's still possible to solve after all these years. . .

If the male couldn't function, perhaps that could have led to the rage.

• Like 1

If the male couldn't function, perhaps that could have led to the rage.

But there'd still be evidence of an attempt. Not getting that here thus far. . .she was just abducted and attacked from what I got from the videos. . .no signs of sexual assault. . .that's very telling. . .

• Like 1

again, there would have been evidence of that. . .disarrayed clothing, fluids, tears. . .fiber transfer. . .it's a messy act. . .it's what makes it so much fun at times. . .

This is somewhat inappropriate, I think.

• Thanks 1

I don't think transfer evidence is inappropriate. Anytime you make close contact, transfer can occur.

I was referring to the last part of the sentence.