Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Muriel Baldridge, 1949, Prestonsburg, KY

Regi

2 hours ago, regi said:

Well, surely, Floyd "Mike" HI'll rn (shown in the 6th and 7th photo down) and Donald "Dootney" Horn- who's mentioned in the book as having visited Muriel and left town hours before the murder- are likely brothers.

Note that his fondest memories are of hanging out at the depot. 

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~kyfloyd/floyd_county_schools.htm

For a lack of better words "well I'll be damned."  

• Like 1

I'll be darned.  I bet he has some stories.  

I'm going to look deeper into this theater discussion, and try to get some input from some Floyd Co natives.  Unfortunately work is getting in the way of my research.  I'll be back:)

• Like 1

I can see the sign for the Strand.  Amazing, that address really threw me off, I'm so glad you pointed that out. I would still think the Abigail was the most likely venue as it was opened in the early 40's?

I had to go back an re-read the sections about Donald Horn.  I'm not sure what to make of this guy, but it's ironic that he visited Murial the same day he left for Texas, which was the same day of her murder.  But I suppose that bus ticket would clear him.  I'm not implying anything by saying this, but if he were intelligent enough to get a free trip back to KY just by saying he was wanted for questioning (when he really wasn't), then he was definitley intelligent enough to have someone else"s bus ticket for an alibi.  When you bought a bus ticket in those days, did you have to supply any personal information?  

• Like 1

On 9/21/2017 at 8:47 PM, tack77 said:

I can see the sign for the Strand.  Amazing, that address really threw me off, I'm so glad you pointed that out. I would still think the Abigail was the most likely venue as it was opened in the early 40's?

Oh, I'm sure you're right that the Abigail is where they must have gone to the movies...but yeah, the addresses don't pull up the right locations!

Since I last posted, I've found info. that the Abigail was located on the same street as the building with the mural, but in the other direction I'd indicated... Regardless, it was near enough to the relative vicinity.

LIke you, I'm wondering where the softball game was held, and I'm wondering whether it was held at the old elementary school building site rather than at the high school, simply because that would be closer to Moles (in his statement, Moles said he'd seen the lights and that he'd left his car there....which I think is an odd circumstance, but that's the info. I'm working from.

In the book, the info. is that after the movie, the girls met up at the drugstore. Do you know where that would have been?

Edited by regi

On 9/21/2017 at 8:47 PM, tack77 said:

I had to go back an re-read the sections about Donald Horn.  I'm not sure what to make of this guy, but it's ironic that he visited Murial the same day he left for Texas, which was the same day of her murder.  But I suppose that bus ticket would clear him.  I'm not implying anything by saying this, but if he were intelligent enough to get a free trip back to KY just by saying he was wanted for questioning (when he really wasn't), then he was definitley intelligent enough to have someone else"s bus ticket for an alibi.  When you bought a bus ticket in those days, did you have to supply any personal information?  

Well, I can't imagine, but I'd highly doubt it!

How about the info that Horn was to have met up with the guy who was to leave town with Horn, but that that guy was stood up? That doesn't make a lick 'o sense!

Edited by regi

15 hours ago, regi said:

Well, I can't imagine, but I'd highly doubt it!

How about the info that Horn was to have met up with the guy who was to leave town with Horn, but that that guy was stood up? That doesn't make a lick 'o sense!

It sure doesn't make any sense, there is more to that story for sure.

^ I've found those buildings in this video! At 1:20, they're coming up on the left, in the block past Arnold Ave.

Now from the book, there's that pharmacist, M.J. Leete (btw, he was quite a character), but the info is that he worked at Hughes Drug Store, and I haven't been able to find anything on that place.

7 hours ago, regi said:

^ I've found those buildings in this video! At 1:20, they're coming up on the left, in the block past Arnold Ave.

Now from the book, there's that pharmacist, M.J. Leete (btw, he was quite a character), but the info is that he worked at Hughes Drug Store, and I haven't been able to find anything on that place.

Very good eye:)  I had watched this video before, but I didn't make the connection.  I'm now going to dig into this "Hughes Drugstore."  

I bbelieve Leete may have offered more than was asked, lol.  But all the same, I'm starting to believe Lon Moles may have been an ideal defendant for a reason.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tack77 said:

Very good eye:)  I had watched this video before, but I didn't make the connection.  I'm now going to dig into this "Hughes Drugstore."  

I bbelieve Leete may have offered more than was asked, lol.  But all the same, I'm starting to believe Lon Moles may have been an ideal defendant for a reason.

First, thanks for the compliment! :)

Second, I'm looking forward to seeing what you might come up with about that drugstore because for one thing, I've looked, but I wasn't able find anything at all. (Btw, I still haven't taken the time to correlate the wealth of info. provided by that blog entry and I'm looking forward to doing that!)

Re: Moles, I am, too! And this was very strange to me...going through the book again here recently, I came across his statement and read it and it was as though I was reading it for the first time, and I don't know whether I'd previously skipped over that page or what, but there are issues I have with it now that I don't even remember having thought about.

Anyway, a few of those issues are: 1) He starts at the wrong place. I mean, if asked to explain where he was the night of the murder, I wouldn't expect that he'd start by recalling events beginning the morning of the previous day. 2) He said he drove to the football field, yet didn't explain why he left his car parked at there, nor did he say when he retrieved it, he just left that out. 3) He said he didn't know of the discovery of a body until after he'd left the depot at 6:00am, yet the body was discovered a half hour previous and rthe info. is that it was an employee at the depot who was alerted to the discovery and called police. :huh:

I've yet to have any luck on Hughes Drugstore, but I'll still be searching.

You are completely correct about Moles alibi.  Also, thinking about his reputation, being a railroad agent and a member of the school board and his wife a member of DAR, I would think law enforcement would tread very cautiously before making such an accusation.  I think there is more to this charge than we know about. 

Searching through social media posts, I've ran across at least two people who knew Muriel and remember when this happened.  I know you have to take comments like that with a grain of salt, not because the person is dishonest, bit the fact that nearly 70 years has past and sometimes we remember things a little different than they really happened.  That being said, one person said they believed Lon Moles did it, he used to stare at her from the depot.  I get a creepy feeling from that statement.