Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What's Your Favorite Cryptid?

GooteyBootey

I thought this might be fun and interesting. What is it and why? You don't necessarily have to believe in it, just puck one that you never get tired of hearing/reading about.

Mine is hands-down Mothman. I love all the legends and mysteries linked to him. The book "The Mothman Prophecies" is a phenomenal read for anyone, and the movie isn't half bad either.

I prefer depictions of him without a "head", with large eyes just set in his chest area.

Some day I want to go to the Mothman Festival in Point Pleasant, it sounds amazing! So share your favorite cryptid!

• Like 1

Mothman is also my favourite. I can't get enough of the stories about it and the associated MIB and Indrid Cold phenomenon. It was such a widespread thing that just STOPPED so suddenly. I don't know how legit it was, but the phenomenon itself was clearly caused by something, be it mass hysteria or actual unexplainable circumstances. Either way, I'll never not want to hear a story or reread Mothman Prophecies.

• Like 2

Just like on "Monstertalk"!

Nessie and Bigfoot were my favorites growing up. And the Yeti. Why? In the late 60s and early 70s, Bigfoot/Yeti was everywhere in popular culture, down to the Six Million Dollar Man.

And with the photos of Nessie, including Rhine's (sp?) in 1975, that showed a "flipper," what's not to love for a kid just becoming sentient at that time?

• Like 2

Nessie and Bigfoot were my favorites growing up. And the Yeti. Why? In the late 60s and early 70s, Bigfoot/Yeti was everywhere in popular culture, down to the Six Million Dollar Man.

And with the photos of Nessie, including Rhine's (sp?) in 1975, that showed a "flipper," what's not to love for a kid just becoming sentient at that time?

Not going to lie, I just can't get into bigfoot. Maybe it's just because there seems to be so much focused around it? I'm not sure.

But I do love Nessie! When I was a child I would pretend Nessie was a long lost Dragon. :)

Edited by GooteyBootey

The honest politician?

I have heard about the guy...I think he lasted about a year. Some time around '86.....

Cheers,

Badeskov

Big fan of the podcast too!

Ive loved Nessie for ages. I know theres not plesiosaut in Loch Ness, but she kicked off my interest in marine reptiles.

I'm also a sea monster fan... I always loved sharks and sea creatures growing up and the idea of a dinosaur like creature out there was gold to me.

• Like 2

Sasquatch/Bigfoot/Yeti/Skunk Ape -- whatever you want to call 'em, I love me some Mysterious North American Apes. Been my fave since seeing a few crappy frames of that famous film on In Search Of... in the 70's.

I'll admit that as a child I thought that Bigfoot was just one monster, like Dracula. I remember thinking "Wow, he walked from Tibet to CALIFORNIA?" after watching those old shows.

I'm somewhat surprised to see Mothman listed as a "cryptid" here. While I'm not interested in debating what should and shouldn't be in a list of things that likely aren't, I'll also put a vote in for Mothman. All around great story, though I do believe that ol' carnival barker Keel dreamed up the best bits. I re-read the book every few years -- it never fails to make me laugh, shake my head in annoyance, or give me the chills.

Love Trunko, lol.. Look it up, I know it is most likely a beached whale, but I find it kind of funny..

• Like 1

Bigfoot, just the best

• Like 1

It would have to be Bigfoot. Spent my childhood listening to stories about the Howler. It walks the river banks and peeks into homes every now and then. Living in the Four Corners area has a lot of perks when it comes to cryptids and unexplained sightings.

Mokele Mbembe, i saw it on beast hunter, sounds cool. It's a dinosaur that lives in water, similarly a Congo version of loch ness

Bigfoot. The amount of unsupported belief regardless of the complete lack of evidence involved is just fascinating. And funny at times. It really does speak volumes of the mental processes of some human beings.

But, if one cryptid deserved to exist, I would nominate bigfoot. And if there is ever actual evidence uncovered, I hope that this "real" bigfoot is wildly different from what all of the believers, liars and hoaxers have made him out to be.

• Like 2

Say... no giant hyrax yet? I'm ashamed of us!

Black Shuck

The Darkness even made a song about him.

blackdog.jpg

Edited by Black Monk

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely the Jersey Devil. :-) I dunno, the story/folklore just interested me as soon as I read it, and I think the Jersey Devil is hauntingly cool.

• Like 1

I don't really have a favourite. It isn't cryptids i have an interest in, as much as the cognitive errors/biases, storytelling, sociology and so forth associated with them. Also the pseudo science that is invented to reinforce belief in such things. That is probably even more fascinating than if they did exist.

• Like 1

Bigfoot. The amount of unsupported belief regardless of the complete lack of evidence involved is just fascinating. And funny at times. It really does speak volumes of the mental processes of some human beings.

But, if one cryptid deserved to exist, I would nominate bigfoot. And if there is ever actual evidence uncovered, I hope that this "real" bigfoot is wildly different from what all of the believers, liars and hoaxers have made him out to be.

certainly bigfoot, for all of these reasons. bigfoot has always interested me, and even though it almost certainly doesn't exist, the thought is still a fun one to entertain. bigfoot is also one of the least fantastical cryptids, when compared to the jersey devil, nessie, etc, which makes him more believable.

• Like 1

Mine is either the Zuiyo-maru carcass or "Cadborosaurus willsi"; I'm not sure why.

Edited by Cavan
  • Like 1

Gotta go Yowie/Yeti/BigFoot - in that order. Why?...... How the hell do I know LOL!

Mine is either the Zuiyo-maru carcass or "Cadborosaurus willsi"; I'm not sure why.

Because of the cool names?

Gotta go Yowie/Yeti/BigFoot - in that order. Why?...... How the hell do I know LOL!

Variations of the same theme...maybe it's because of their locales?

• Like 1