Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mysterious video of ants circling an iPhone

Anomalocaris

Why does an iPhone ringtone make ants run in a circle?

A curious video showing a group of ants racing in circles around an iPhone as it rings has gone viral this week, sparking a host of theories as to what could have caused the bizarre phenomenon. Some have suggested that the ant’s weird behaviour is caused by an "electromagnetic wave" from the incoming call.

arrow3.gifRead more

• Like 2

Ants are instinctive confused by why humans would put something so dangerous on the ground near them.

So they circle it like planets as it becomes their new god.

Mystery solved.

• Like 6

Ants are instinctive confused by why humans would put something so dangerous on the ground near them.

Mystery solved.

zigzub3pivq9rcrpnshl.jpg

• Like 5

That's really weird since they are usually directed by chemical instructions.

• Like 3

Well, there is the distinct possibility there are no real ants in the video. What are suggested to be ants are rather indistinct and do not look particularly "ant-shaped" when one crawls across the phones' display.

Until demonstrated otherwise, I have no reason to believe this is anything but a hoax video.

• Like 2

Well, there is the distinct possibility there are no real ants in the video. What are suggested to be ants are rather indistinct and do not look particularly "ant-shaped" when one crawls across the phones' display.

Until demonstrated otherwise, I have no reason to believe this is anything but a hoax video.

I tend to agree, ants are not tear-drop shaped. Also very few any species just mill about like that and they would also probably be crawling all over the phone as well.

• Like 1

The Ant Hajj Rituals

Mystery solved.

Same as humans.

44758093.jpg

Edited by GreenmansGod
  • Like 2

I don't know how authentic is this vídeo, but the phenomenon is real, and apparently has been explained.

• Like 1

they would also probably be crawling all over the phone as well.

I must admit that this particular detail is somewhat suspicious

Mystery solved.

And they name their God, Adam... 'cos Adam & the Ants sounds cool!

• Like 1

I don't know how authentic is this vídeo, but the phenomenon is real, and apparently has been explained.

This is quite different, the army ants are following a pheromone trail in circles. The video says that the ringing cell phone caused the "ants" to suddenly form into a circle. You can get army ants to follow the rim of a bowl in circles endlessly until they are dead, because as stated they are blind and follow chemical scent trails; they have no idea they are in a loop.

I'm going to have to agree that this looks fake. The ants appear to come and go in a almost regular pattern. And they very slightly in size, but not really in speed. And they are all out of focus, yet the phone seems almost in focus.

Would seem like a college animation students attempt at a quarterly project.

this reminds me of a very unique and special even with ants I recorded over 7 years ago. One night patrolling in my shift, I saw a square formation of ants. What really attracted my attention was something like a perfect square but in the same time their unusual behaviour. I saw a few coming out the group , breaking the lines, going in the middle then rubbing their antennas with others, then moving back in lines. I shot a video a recording I can still find somewhere

I'm not doubting the phenomenon of ants moving in a circular formation, I'm just doubting the particular video in the OP. The transition from 'chaos' to 'order' is just too sudden and smooth and looks artificial (i.e. CGI) rather than natural.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Magnetic Field. Mark my words, it's because of the magnetic field around the phone.