Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Live pterosaur' filmed flying over Idaho

Anomalocaris

It is a drone or aircraft model, but still funny, so, take it with humor :P

Special effects or the return of a Pterosaur? Amateur footage appears to capture extinct reptile flying over Ohio

From unexplained sightings of mythical and prehistoric creatures to UFOs; it's pretty safe to say that humans relish a good mystery.

And this bizarre footage captured in Idaho will surely whet the appetite of conspiracy theorists around the globe.

In the clip, which was captured by an amateur filmmaker, a huge bird-like creature flies across the sky over Boise, Ohio.

arrow3.gifRead more

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

It could be a condor or buzzard or anything really . its hard to tell I'm calling bs on this one. I really want it to be true that would be cool but theres no definitive proof here.

Upon looking at it again I take back my last comment its definitely CGI

The flapping motions don't look quite right... It seldom seems to extend the flapping below it's body, and it seems like it would

need a deeper more powerful motion to stay aloft... I could be wrong, but most large birds - even when 'gliding' seem to bring

their wings lower during a flap...

It is a lovely bit of cgi.

Quite possibly. It does not appear to be a model and it does exhibit some flight characteristics that I have observed in Brown Pelicans. They are large gliding birds and will also dip their heads below their wings while in flight, possible to see something of interest, they mostly use thermals to fly, with a bit of flapping in between.

The biggest reason I can see this being fake is the obvious one: You need breeding populations of creatures that have a line of ancestors. It is not possible that only one of anything like a pterosaur is alive today, you need a colony. AND, it's a flying animal, it's not like it's a sauropod lurking in the darkest swamps of the Congo. These things were large, they have to eat, land, nest and especially FLY around. It's not conceivable that something like this would not be noticed long before now.

Pretty cool though.

• Like 2

Yeah... no.

Making such a video to show off your mad skillz with CGI is all fine and dandy.

Making such a video to try n' fool people in to believing that at least one dinosaur is still alive and/or to get YT page hits, now that just p***es me off!

Edited by Misanthropic
  • Like 1

It looks pretty mechanical in it's movements. If it's not CGI, I would guess it's a radio controlled glider toy.

Edited by Calibeliever
  • Like 1

Looks interesting. The wing motion does look a bit odd, but of course I have never seen a live pterosaur fly before. I would think that an animal whose wings are made of skin would actually fly differently if they were feathered, hence the odd flight characteristics. Of course this is probably CGI, it’s hard to tell now a days.

Edited by Stealth_Goat

It's not fake, it's a very real and kinda cool radio controlled pterosaur. Few more tweaks and it could be even better!

• Like 1

It's not fake, it's a very real and kinda cool radio controlled pterosaur. Few more tweaks and it could be even better!

I agree, it has either had some work done to it, or it is a new prototype.

http://www.pteroworks.com/ptero_52.htm

Notice how this one doesn't move it's wings or head, I'm hoping they upgraded that and this isn't just some really horrible CGI.

• Like 2

I've seen the full version of this video, it actually shows the guy following it with a car to a rocky ledge where it regurgitates fish for its babies.

All those that say it's fake say so without evidence to show it is fake, so common nowadays, to make judgements without any evidence whatsoever to support such "conclusions". We heard it all before about the EM drive, thank you very much, look how wrong you were.

Edited by Rolci

I've seen the full version of this video, it actually shows the guy following it with a car to a rocky ledge where it regurgitates fish for its babies.

So a prehistoric creature hides for years yet is in a location that a human can follow and track it by car? Yet doesn't attack for the purpose of defending its off spring.

You can build and buy radio control models of this and other animals with surprising realism.

Did you happen to sprinkle something else onto your cornflakes this morning?

All those that say it's fake say so without evidence to show it is fake, so common nowadays, to make judgements without any evidence whatsoever to support such "conclusions". We heard it all before about the EM drive, thank you very much, look how wrong you were.

Explain why it flips upside down and then back upright without bending its wings or diving for speed, it just rights itself as if pulled back up by a string? Hmmmm. ? Why does its head not move? Does the wing flapping, in any way, appear natural? If it was feeding of babies then why no mass explosion of biologists to explore the nesting site? Where are the drone videos of the nesting babies? How about some videos of the nest itself and some biological evidence that a creature raised its young there?

When i was little my dad had me convinced that one was flying over our house. Im pretty sure it was actually a great blue heron thats not whats in this clip but bears a resemblance from far below.

Is it a bird??? is it a plane??? No it one of the Pterosaurs that escaped Jurassic Park on Isla Nubla

So a prehistoric creature hides for years yet is in a location that a human can follow and track it by car? Yet doesn't attack for the purpose of defending its off spring.

You can build and buy radio control models of this and other animals with surprising realism.

Did you happen to sprinkle something else onto your cornflakes this morning?

It's well known that mythical creatures follow roads...and humans....

• Like 2

It's well known that mythical creatures follow roads...and humans....

And your evidence for this is what exactly?

How can a mythical creature follow roads and humans?

They are myths.

Rolci, surely the extreme unlikelihood that this really is a random pterosaur (there must be a breeding population?) requires some scepticism. Wouldn't it be in need of something verify the video as being genuine, to begin with, rather than the other way around?

Edited by Horta
  • Like 1