Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is The Ba Ba Dook real?

LostSouls7

I think the exorcist was pretty real...

LostSouls7, please tell me you meant "thought", but now know otherwise.

• Like 2

I don't believe the Babadook is/was real at all. I don't believe there are any legends about it, it was made up for the movie.

I did really enjoy the movie, though. I thought it was a great metaphor for fighting your demons. Everyone has a little Babadook in them, and you can't ignore it until it goes away because it'll never go away it'll only get worse. But if you tend to it, it won't be a problem.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 3/5/2016 at 1:59 PM, freetoroam said:

LostSouls7, please tell me you meant "thought", but now know otherwise.

I used to think it was real. Until I saw it was all special effects.
However still spooky how a lot of people in that movie died shortly after.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2016 at 8:26 AM, BrightEyes86 said:

I don't believe the Babadook is/was real at all. I don't believe there are any legends about it, it was made up for the movie.

I did really enjoy the movie, though. I thought it was a great metaphor for fighting your demons. Everyone has a little Babadook in them, and you can't ignore it until it goes away because it'll never go away it'll only get worse. But if you tend to it, it won't be a problem.

Ahh yes we all have a little ba ba dock in us! Good point!

10 hours ago, LostSouls7 said:

I can not find anything about the deaths. Not doubting you, just would like to find some info. can you direct me to the right location?

I seem to recall a film with Diana Dors where members of the film crew started to die off, but, again, will have to do some more digging. But here are a few alleged cursings:

,http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/78585/8-horror-films-plagued-real-life-death-curses/4/ 

ps: just to clarify, I do not believe in curses, these films have many people working on them, apart from the cast, you have, well here is a list:

http://creativeskillset.org/creative_industries/film/job_roles/p7

Accidents do happen on sets and behind the scenes. If the lady making the tea for the director happens to lose a cousin in an accident or if one of the electricians slips on a banana skin on his way to work, i would not consider it part of a curse.

I would consider it stranger if no one had some sort of accident when working on a major film or a film which consisted of such a high work force.

But saying that, I still like reading about these stories.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, LostSouls7 said:

1. I don't know what to say to this.   I was going to explain how it's obviously not documentary footage of real events but I genuinely don't know where to start.  I find it hard to believe that you watched it and afterward didn't know you'd just watched a Hollywood movie involving actors, directors, special effects, etc. but actual footage of real events.  Wow.

2. Name the "lot of people" who died shortly after The Exorcist was made.

On ‎29‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 9:20 PM, JesseCuster said:

1. I don't know what to say to this.   I was going to explain how it's obviously not documentary footage of real events but I genuinely don't know where to start.  I find it hard to believe that you watched it and afterward didn't know you'd just watched a Hollywood movie involving actors, directors, special effects, etc. but actual footage of real events.  Wow.

2. Name the "lot of people" who died shortly after The Exorcist was made.

Australian not Hollywood :)

actually the lead actress in this is the actress that was playing the lead actress in game of thrones.. the one Aria stark was supposed to kill..

23 hours ago, DingoLingo said:

Australian not Hollywood

I was quoting LostSoul7 talking about The Exorcist, which LostSouls7 thought was "real" until finding out that it was just special effects.  Which as a movie made in the United States by Warner Bros. qualifies it as a "Hollywood movie". :)

23 hours ago, JesseCuster said:

I was quoting LostSoul7 talking about The Exorcist, which LostSouls7 thought was "real" until finding out that it was just special effects.  Which as a movie made in the United States by Warner Bros. qualifies it as a "Hollywood movie". :)

Ahhh... :)

On 3/2/2016 at 2:23 PM, Nathan DiYorio said:

I don't think the movie was that clear, to be honest. Obviously the Babadook is a manifestation of negativity, but its book is real, its peculiar influence on the protagonist's home is real ("real" within the context of the movie, I guess I should specify), and the film's ending was ambiguous... I do not believe that just because the Babadook is a metaphor does not mean that it as an entity does not exist within the film's world. It's simply too open-ended to make a solid declaration either way.

The writing of the screenplay began in around 2009 and Kent has stated that she sought to tell a story about facing up to the darkness within ourselves, the "fear of going mad" and an exploration of parenting from a "real perspective". In regard to parenting, Kent further explained in October 2014: "Now, I'm not saying we all want to go and kill our kids, but a lot of women struggle. And it is a very taboo subject, to say that motherhood is anything but a perfect experience for women."[9] In terms of the characters, Kent said that it was important that both characters are loving and lovable, so that "we [audience] really feel for them"—Kent wanted to portray human relationships in a positive light.[9] In total, Kent completed five drafts of the script.[12]

Writing for the Daily Beast, Tim Teeman contends that grief is the "real monster" in The Babadook, and that the film is "about the aftermath of death; how its remnants destroy long after the dead body has been buried or burned". Teeman writes that he was "gripped" by the "metaphorical imperative" of Kent's film, with the Babadook monster representing "the shape of grief: all-enveloping, shape-shifting, black". Teeman states that the film's ending "underscored the thrum of grief and loss at the movie's heart", and concludes that it informs the audience that grief has its place and the best that humans can do is "marshal it".[33]

Egyptian national film critic Wael Khairy wrote in his "Film Analysis" on 22 November 2014 that The Babadook "taps into something real, a real human fear".[34] Khairy argues that what the Babadook "stands for is up for debate", but writes:

The malevolent Babadook is basically a physicalized form of the mother's trauma ... I believe, the Babadook embodies the destructive power of grief. Throughout the film, we see the mother insist nobody bring up her husband's name. She basically lives in denial. Amelia has repressed grief for years, refusing to surrender to it.[34]

Khairy concluded that the film is "based on something very real" and "feels unusually beautiful and even therapeutic."[34]

The "grief monster" is what I was getting out of it. The mother seemed to be harboring grief and anger, in addition to suicidal/violent/homicidal thoughts...and not dealing with any of it. There didn't actually have to be a book. It could have been any book the child took off the shelf, but she was seeing (and being) the Babadook. Then again, it could have been a book of her own making, since she was a writer in the story. If you recall, there's never really any evidence of a book because she remembers burning it. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiVqsajx9fNAhUF4YMKHQNwBIcQFggcMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FThe_Babadook&usg=AFQjCNF4CSCHoi08VToyRBiQ_mCnxWPpCA&sig2=yTltmiYYFQWPEtQCQIC-Bg

I found the movie very interesting, because I had my very own grief and survival guilt "monsters" to deal with. It's an ongoing process, but I can say that they were very "real," however it is that anyone else wants to view them.

Edited by ChaosRose