Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is The Ba Ba Dook real?

LostSouls7

Yes I recently just saw the movie. It was quite scary. But what is the Ba Ba dook? Is it like a version of the Boogey Man?

And is he real?

Where did this story start? And can I get one of those cool Ba Ba Dook story books ?

• Like 1

I can't say I've heard of it, but it a top name, so I rather hope it is, whatever it is.

• Like 2

But no, it turns out Babadook is just an anagram for “A Bad Book”. Director Jennifer Kent loosely based the film off her 2005 short, “Monster”. That low budget black & white film features a creature that bears some similarities to the Babadook but looks much more human.

http://notunpleasant.com/is-the-babadook-a-real-legend/

I can't find the kid's storybook online, but considering the popularity of the movie, I'd imagine one will not be long till arriving on the shelf of stores near you.

• Like 4

Yes I recently just saw the movie. It was quite scary. But what is the Ba Ba dook? Is it like a version of the Boogey Man?

And is he real?

Where did this story start? And can I get one of those cool Ba Ba Dook story books ?

No. It's a story about how grieving is a process and is always with us.

It's a movie. Made for entertainment. Check out their IMDb page.

• Like 4

Guest Nathan DiYorio

Babadook is a manifestation of hopelessness and despair (with just a touch of homicide) which can only be subdued and never truly defeated... I suppose it could be considered as being representative of a mental disorder which can only be treated and never cured...

Regardless, neither it nor its book are real

Wow yeah I think it's not real. But I would just like to have the book!

It just looks so cool I would read it to people when they come over.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed the Babadook, though at first it was a bit of a chore. But it was made well and the acting was quite good, if the whole movie was a little unorthodox and not quite what I was expecting. While there might be shades of some original idea, I don't think the Babadook has any historical basis, especially considering the... well, to ME, the "fact" that the Babdook was a metaphor for mental anguish and torture and denial and dealing unwisely with grief. It was like a Shyamalon movie twist, but actually worked.

• Like 3

I really enjoyed the Babadook, though at first it was a bit of a chore. But it was made well and the acting was quite good, if the whole movie was a little unorthodox and not quite what I was expecting. While there might be shades of some original idea, I don't think the Babadook has any historical basis, especially considering the... well, to ME, the "fact" that the Babdook was a metaphor for mental anguish and torture and denial and dealing unwisely with grief. It was like a Shyamalon movie twist, but actually worked.

Yeah I really liked the movie as well! If only they had those kinds of books in my Elementary school library from the old days.

That would have been great.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

And is he real?

Do you think that every single horror movie you see is reliably based upon a true story?

They're all made up. Even the ones that claim to be based on true stories are made up.

• Like 4

Do you think that every single horror movie you see is reliably based upon a true story?

They're all made up. Even the ones that claim to be based on true stories are made up.

I think the exorcist was pretty real...

• Like 1

Guest Nathan DiYorio

The movie which is a complete work of fiction, based on a novel which is a complete work of fiction, and which has always been marketed as fiction?

Why do you think it's real?

Occam's Razor. For The Exorcist to be real, there would have to be far far FAR too many new assumptions made about the universe.

And, to answer your other question, yes, it was available as a book. But unless they do a second print run, you (and I) will almost probably never own a copy.

• Like 2

Sometimes a figment of the imagination can become so strong, that it can become a terror inducing hallucination. So in a sense it's 'real', but not real.

Really so you think we can become him?

If it's a part of us, then there's no "becoming."

• Like 1

The Exorcist is based on a novel which is very loosely inspired by supposed real world events. It's never been claimed to be an actual true story.

How is it "pretty real"?

• Like 1

Even in the movie the babadook isn't an actual entity. And the book was just a prop made for the movie

• 1 month later...

And is he real?

Spoiler alert!

Despite being a creepy Australian horror film, the Babadook isn't real even in the film. It turns out to be a figment of the crazy mother's imagination.

Edited by Black Monk

And is he real?

Yes. He's running for President. And he's the front runner! Everybody hide!

Doug

Guest Nathan DiYorio

Even in the movie the babadook isn't an actual entity. And the book was just a prop made for the movie

I don't think the movie was that clear, to be honest. Obviously the Babadook is a manifestation of negativity, but its book is real, its peculiar influence on the protagonist's home is real ("real" within the context of the movie, I guess I should specify), and the film's ending was ambiguous... I do not believe that just because the Babadook is a metaphor does not mean that it as an entity does not exist within the film's world. It's simply too open-ended to make a solid declaration either way.

Edited by Nathan DiYorio