Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Researchers discovered alien megastructure?

seeder

Had a quick search of the astro forums but didnt see this posted yet

Have researchers discovered an alien MEGASTRUCTURE? 'Bizarre' star could be surrounded by a Dyson sphere built by extraterrestrials, researchers claim

KIC 8462852 is located 1480 light-years away from Earth

Has produced a series of bizarre light fluctuations team cannot explain

One theory is that a vast megastructure is obscuring the light from it

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3271546/Have-researchers-alien-MEGASTRUCTURE-Researchers-reveal-bizarre-star-say-huge-unknown-object-blocking-light.html#ixzz3oXDUjsKf

• Like 8

A Dyson sphere wouldnt allow any energy or light out, so if there are its some sort of stellar ring a la Halo ot Ringworld.

• Like 3

The researchers said: 'By considering the observational constraints on dust clumps orbiting a normal main-sequence star, we conclude that the scenario most consistent with the data in hand is the passage of a family of exocomet fragments, all of which are associated with a single previous breakup event.'.

Other 'experts' have thrown the 'Dyson sphere' idea in the mix...

Edit:

A Dyson sphere wouldnt allow any energy or light out, so if there are its some sort of stellar ring a la Halo ot Ringworld.

Could be a part-Dyson sphere which only covers a certain portion of the star, or in construction...

Edited by Timonthy
  • Like 2

What if black holes are Dyson sphere's? Just saying.

• Like 3

What if black holes are Dyson sphere's? Just saying.

Pretty sure someone else would have made the connection and put forward a solid amount of supportive info if that were the case. No offense :w00t:

• Like 1

and...a vid

• Like 1

Seeder, since when do you post alien stories from the Daily Mail? Without snarky comment? ;)

• Like 2

Dyson himself described a complete sphere or ring as being a "mechanically impossible" structure, and he is probably correct. The "sphere" he envisaged was actually a "conglomerate swarm of smaller structures" which would maintain their position relative to each other purely by orbital effect and not be physically connected.

• Like 4

Reminds me of that hexagon energy formation on Saturn's pole. I recall someone explaining that off as a kinda behavior of energy, might as well be for all I know, but it sounds very strange for nature to create geometric patterns like that.

It needs to be watched, As soon as we see Intergalaytic Bees Flying this way to conquer us were Toast !

• Like 6

So if the dyson sphere is a conglomerate machine or even a whole solid piece it's still machinery right? If so could the machine not be failing or breaking apart?

Sorry I know I just jumped down the rabbit hole of assumptions just a curios thought I had.

• Like 1

It needs to be watched, As soon as we see Intergalaytic Bees Flying this way to conquer us were Toast !

Sorry, but no.

This is Toast.

Harte

• Like 4

Could it be a planet was destroyed?

This is one of the explanations considered but rejected by the astronomers:

The paper explores a number of scenarios that might explain the pattern- instrument defects; the shrapnel from an asteroid belt pileup; an impact of planetary scale, like the one that created our moon.

The paper finds each explanation wanting, save for one. If another star had passed through the unusual star's system, it could have yanked a sea of comets inward.

(My emphasis)

It would still have the same problems as any other natural explanation, it would be an amazing coincidence that it happened just at the right time for us to observe it.

If a planet is destroyed gravity will cause it, rather rapidly in astronomical terms, to re-coalesce into a new body.

The other problem with this being a destroyed planet is the why and how? Collisions are thought to be common in newly formed solar systems as the planets settle into stable orbits. However they should be extremely rare around older stars such as this one.

If it was caused by a collision as a result of anther star passing nearby then, for the reasons I have already given, it would have had to have happened recently and that other star would still be very close.

• Like 4

Had a quick search of the astro forums but didnt see this posted yet

Amazing whether it's natural or not! It's like actually seeing a super nova for the first time. I am sure it holds many secrets to the universe once we find things similar to compare.

• Like 2

I know that science doesn't exist to entertain us, but in this particular case, I'm crossing my fingers for a non-natural explanation :D

• Like 7

A Dyson Sphere consists of orbiting sections forming a spherical construct around a star--not a solid sphere. That is a popular misconception.
  • Like 2

Interesting find. It will no doubt require an odd explanation as it is the only star of the 150,000 observed that has this strange pattern.

• Like 4

But a Dyson spere is a hypothetical structure born out of science fiction. You can't take it as being in existence can you?

The researchers said: 'By considering the observational constraints on dust clumps orbiting a normal main-sequence star, we conclude that the scenario most consistent with the data in hand is the passage of a family of exocomet fragments, all of which are associated with a single previous breakup event.'.

Indeed. :alien:

• Like 1