Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman addicted to eating household sponges

Still Waters

A woman has revealed she eats up to 20 sponges a day after soaking them in apple-flavoured Fairy liquid due to a bizarre addiction.

Emma Thompson, from Wallsend, North Tyneside, started chewing bath sponges at the age of three before discovering she liked the taste of kitchen ones better.

The 23-year-old, who suffers from an OCD-type condition called pica, which makes her crave items with no nutritional value, described the household necessity as her 'guilty pleasure'.

http://www.dailymail...iry-liquid.html

• Like 1

It's not paint chips or anything, at least. Sponges are... at least, moderately not deadly. I used to chew on paper, whole sheets of it. Well, for about a year, then I stopped. I chewed my fingernails most of my life, which I'm sure was a much less hygenic habit than eating unused new sponges. Still, could I take it if I was sitting around playing Monopoly or getting ready to go to a movie and my friend was like "Hold on, need to get a snack" and pops a sponge into their mouth? That would... be trying - I think I could get used to it.

Pic peripherally related: Pregnant "mum" eating SAND and sponges. That's like a triple decker. I think at most I could only do a double - she's kind of overeating.

Kelly-Marie-Pearce-28-from-Wolverhampton-who-suffered-from-a-rare-eating-disorder-whilst-pregnant.jpg

Edited by Paranormalcy
  • Like 1

Thats not something I would choose to advertise.

My first thought was "is she single"

2nd "why reveal this to anybody, ever?"

3rd "no way I am dumb enough to click that link this close to diner"

• Like 2

i couldnt really understand well what she was saying lol ...but ...some people have strange urges ...when i was pregnant i had the urge to eat sand . i didnt do it but substitute it with raw potatoes , i would cry not to have a potato ...some ppl are weird like that :whistle:

Poor thing, I wonder what this has done to her body.

started chewing bath sponges at the age of three

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3276151/Is-sponge-chips-tea-Woman-23-eats-20-SPONGES-day-soaking-apple-flavoured-Fairy-liquid.html#ixzz3oroje1v1

And mummy was where while she was chewing these bath sponges at 3 years of age?

• Like 1

It's not paint chips or anything, at least. Sponges are... at least, moderately not deadly. I used to chew on paper, whole sheets of it. Well, for about a year, then I stopped. I chewed my fingernails most of my life, which I'm sure was a much less hygenic habit than eating unused new sponges. Still, could I take it if I was sitting around playing Monopoly or getting ready to go to a movie and my friend was like "Hold on, need to get a snack" and pops a sponge into their mouth? That would... be trying - I think I could get used to it.

Pic peripherally related: Pregnant "mum" eating SAND and sponges. That's like a triple decker. I think at most I could only do a double - she's kind of overeating.

Kelly-Marie-Pearce-28-from-Wolverhampton-who-suffered-from-a-rare-eating-disorder-whilst-pregnant.jpg

Now that's a true Sandwich

• Like 2

I saw the title and thought of poor spongebob. I guess he has nightmares about this type of stuff.

started chewing bath sponges at the age of three

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz3oroje1v1

And mummy was where while she was chewing these bath sponges at 3 years of age?

#1 parents she had.

Edited by XenoFish

How can someone still live when they eat stuff like this? Don't they know their bodies might give out?

I made the mistake of watching "My Strange Addiction" Lots of weird things eaten there... cigarette ashes, ashes from burial urns, one's own hair, laundry detergent, clay pots...

ICK.

• Like 3

Could be worse....could alcohol or drugs

• Like 1

A woman has revealed she eats up to 20 sponges a day after soaking them in apple-flavoured Fairy liquid due to a bizarre addiction.

Emma Thompson, from Wallsend, North Tyneside, started chewing bath sponges at the age of three before discovering she liked the taste of kitchen ones better.

The 23-year-old, who suffers from an OCD-type condition called pica, which makes her crave items with no nutritional value, described the household necessity as her 'guilty pleasure'.

http://www.dailymail...iry-liquid.html

You guys are in for a real treat! This series has been going on for years (2010). And eating sponges is definitely not close to the strangest.

http://www.tlc.com/t...ange-addiction/

No....no....no....NOOOOOO.....

You guys are in for a real treat! This series has been going on for years (2010). And eating sponges is definitely not close to the strangest.

http://www.tlc.com/t...ange-addiction/

I've watched that show, those are some really weird addictions.

• Like 1

Her poops are a nightmare to flush, They keep bobbing back to the surface.

Edited by Cat_From_Hell
  • Like 4

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

she puts Fairy on it too maybe she poop Bubbles

Edited by YA AMAR
  • Like 1

Is this real :yes: :yes: :yes:.......

(btw she says she CHEWS 2 sponges a day and rarely 10 and in extreme cases 20...)

Edited by hellwyr
  • Like 2

Well if its only cheweing thats different. Much like fingernails, I used to chew on my action figure's heads and even bit the arm off of my old bendy Ricky teh Dragon Steamboat figure. When gum just doesn't cut it!

• Like 3

To be honest it puts chills up my spine! Like biting cotton wool.....eeeaaaaawwwww christ that makes me squirm

Haha they will wipe on the way out though!

(Sorry that was too far i know)

• Like 1

Is this real :yes: :yes: :yes:.......

(btw she says she CHEWS 2 sponges a day and rarely 10 and in extreme cases 20...)

It also said in the article that she sometimes eats them as well.