Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Strange Creatures In Indiana?

SaltyChicken

Interested in hearing local legends, myths and the such in Indiana. If anybody is aware of any it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Indiana is fairly quiet when it comes to these kinds of things, but I'm sure very specific and local myths might be around. I, too, am interested in reading about them.

BTW, what did you find? Did you do any research about it yourself?

Indiana is fairly quiet when it comes to these kinds of things, but I'm sure very specific and local myths might be around. I, too, am interested in reading about them.

BTW, what did you find? Did you do any research about it yourself?

The things that I am aware of our more along the lines of paranormal things...like haunted locations and things like that.

here is a book about some strange things there:

http://www.popmatter...y-mark-marimen/

I actually just picked up that book a few weeks ago. haha.

• Like 2

There's a place near Brazil, IN where I grew up called Hundred Steps (in fact, it's just a couple of country blocks over from my parent's house in Cloverland). It's a small hill with a smaller graveyard at the top. Supposedly, if you count the steps going up, turn around and come down, and the count is different, you're about to die or some such nonsense. Done it several times myself, still alive.

Haven't been there in years. Back then it had a great view of the setting sun during the summer.

• Like 1

Puk-wud-jies in the Mounds State Park area might be of interest

Haunted Places Of Indiana (Mounds State Park) reports blue-gowned dwarves. According to Delaware Indian legend, they are the Puk-wud-ies, a tribe of little people that still inhabit the forest.

links, a video, book reviews and things:

Pukwudgies – book reviews & other info & links

There's also several threads on the pukwudgies here on UM.

:)

I agree, Indiana is pretty quiet. Not too many stories. Less bigfoot sightings than most states.

Up in the northern part they have these odd creatures. They wear dark clothes. They smell horrible. They leave poop all over the place.

Darn amish.

• Like 2

I agree, Indiana is pretty quiet. Not too many stories. Less bigfoot sightings than most states.

Up in the northern part they have these odd creatures. They wear dark clothes. They smell horrible. They leave poop all over the place.

Darn amish.

Yeah, but they can build the hell out of a barn.

• Like 2

There's a place near Brazil, IN where I grew up called Hundred Steps (in fact, it's just a couple of country blocks over from my parent's house in Cloverland). It's a small hill with a smaller graveyard at the top. Supposedly, if you count the steps going up, turn around and come down, and the count is different, you're about to die or some such nonsense. Done it several times myself, still alive.

Haven't been there in years. Back then it had a great view of the setting sun during the summer.

That's hilarious..a few friends and I have been there a few times to check it out on the way to the Edna Collins Bridge in Greencastle. haha

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

There are two that I can think of off the top of my head. There's the Beast of 'Busco in Churubusco, Indiana. It was named Oscar, after the farmer Oscar Fulk that owned the large pond where it was sighted multiple times. The creature was supposed to be a giant turtle as big as dining room table. There haven't been any sightings in over 60 years, but Churubusco has nicknamed itself "Turtle Town, USA" and holds a Turtle Festival every year in honor of the legend.

In 1891 a giant flying, white eel like monster was seen flying through the sky in Crawfordsville, Indiana. Witnesses said that it was about 18 feet long, 8 feet wide, and glided through the air by flapping a series of fins on its sides. There's a Wikipedia page for it called "Crawfordsville Monster" and another one for the Beast of 'Busco if you want to find more info.

• Like 1