Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

History of Friday the 13th

Still Waters

Friday the 13th - also known as Black Friday - has long been regarded as an unlucky day. Why do we choose this day in particular to fear for our lives?

The superstition around this day is thought to have come about during the Middle Ages, and may have Biblical origins.

Some historians have claimed it was the day on which Eve bit the apple from the Tree of Knowledge, the great flood began and the builders of the Tower of Babel.

http://www.telegraph...ared-of-it.html

• Like 4

"Some historians have claimed it was the day on which Eve bit the apple from the Tree of Knowledge"

Maybe some *lazy* historians.

:)

Edited by Jeffertonturner
  • Like 3

Isn't this day tied to the destruction of the Templar Order by French King Phillippe the Fair?

• Like 4

Paraskevidekatriaphobia is mostly an American and English fear.

Italians previously used to be far more concerned about Friday the 17th, although with the Americanisation of the country this has largely shifted to 13th for younger generations.

In Spanish-speaking countries it is Tuesdays, not Fridays, that hold superstitious omens. Their belief is also held by the Greeks, who consider Tuesdays as dominated by the influence of Ares (the God of War).

• Like 3

The Black Cats are the nickname for my football team, now I know why Referees keep giving them Red cards and also giving penalties against them, just because they flatten any opposition near their goal.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Black cats are considered unlucky and evil too... I have no idea why...

Not in Britain. They're lucky here.

I think Goodnite is right.

Edited by Urisk

• 2 weeks later...

And here I always thought Friday the 13th was just Jason in a mask killing people with his huge knife.

The knife is called a machete :D I used to think that too but now I know it's bad luck because of what's said above...:)

I have had bad luck on Friday the 13th this November, like almost breaking my finger, not getting my gym locker open, failing a test (which isn't really bad luck but...), and more!

I once had a stalker on Friday the 13th telling me that they're such a big fan of me and my family (which has Michael Jackson in it...)

Friday the 13th hasn't ever been a "good" luck day for me...

But sometimes I think it's super stition... Like if we go about living without dates, without knowing when it's Friday the 13th, would we get bad luck? Maybe... But not knowing that Friday the 13th caused it...

13 associated with moon (13 moon months), moon is important for pagans, celebrated in Europe (moon festivals) for 1000s of years. Anything which was pagan was from the devil (the devil itself was portrayed as a pagan deity) simple as that, just church propaganda, nothing frightening about the number 13.

Edited by hellwyr

black friday is not a unlucky day.. I'm a friday the 13th baby.. :)

hmmm.. though in saying that.. I can think of a couple of people who would say my birth was bad luck..

In Spanish-speaking countries it is Tuesdays, not Fridays, that hold superstitious omens. Their belief is also held by the Greeks, who consider Tuesdays as dominated by the influence of Ares (the God of War).

Right you are, Sir. En Martes, ni te cases, ni te embarques: Meaning: In Tuesday, don't get married or embark. And Tuesday 13 is considered specially unlucky.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

its funny actually when i think about Friday the 13 considering my grandma wanted to get married on Friday the 13 but couldn't due to religious reasons.

• 2 months later...

Friday the 13th was always bad luck for me. But I just love and get excited for Friday the 13th, when it's coming, and get sad when it ends... I love watching Jason on those days, and it's just a huge thrill...just like Halloween is (watching Michael Myers). Anyway, I love Friday the 13th.

Edited by nebit

It's usually like any other day and in fact, sometimes it's a great day like last Friday. It all depends.

What's the point? Days of the week and month are human concepts based on Earth's cycles and totally subjective.

The number 9 is "unlucky" in Japan like 13 is in other places. So.. the next Friday the 9th is in August. Let's start a thing. In fact, forget Friday. Friday is a good day. How about Monday the 9th?

Edited by Skulduggery