Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Newfound Venus-like Planet

Waspie_Dwarf

Astronomers Eager to Get a Whiff of Newfound Venus-like Planet

Cambridge, MA -The collection of rocky planets orbiting distant stars has just grown by one, and the latest discovery is the most intriguing one to date. The newfound world, although hot as an oven, is cool enough to potentially host an atmosphere. If it does, it's close enough (only 39 light-years away) that we could study that atmosphere in detail with the Hubble Space Telescope and future observatories like the Giant Magellan Telescope.

"Our ultimate goal is to find a twin Earth, but along the way we've found a twin Venus," says astronomer David Charbonneau of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics (CfA). "We suspect it will have a Venus-like atmosphere too, and if it does we can't wait to get a whiff."

arrow3.gifRead more...

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
typo
  • Like 2

How can this "exoplanet" be 3 times closer to Earth than Earth is to the sun?

They say that their host star is 37 ly away. Um, a little more than 93,000,000 miles!

What a goof.

How can this "exoplanet" be 3 times closer to Earth than Earth is to the sun?

I have reread, several times, both the Guardian story that the front page links to and the CfA story I linked to and in neither can I find what you are claiming is said.

The closest I can find is this from the Guardian:

Located three times nearer to us than any Earth-sized extrasolar planet ever discovered

What a goof.

Maybe, but by whom?

I declare this planetary body to be British Sovereign Territory, and hereby claim it on behalf of The Crown, at the behest of Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth, for the glory and furtherment of her empire, commonwealth, and dominions.

Edited by acute

I declare this planetary body to be British Sovereign Territory, and hereby claim it on behalf of The Crown, at the behest of Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth, for the glory and furtherment of her empire, commonwealth, and dominions.

Congratulations, you are now in violation of international law.

• Like 2

How so?

Did Norway get there first as usual?

How so?

The UN Outer Space Treaty, of which the UK is a signatory, forbids any nation from claiming any celestial body as it's territory.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't sign anything and claim it for myself,everyone's invited for beer and eats..band starts at nine cover at ten come early.

jmccr8

Edited by jmccr8

We were built on empire. When has a poxy international law ever stopped us.